Archived Topic

Rule Changes

by BYULV · 8/27/2010

Advertisement
B
BYULV
I didn't notice a lot of major rule changes for this year, but was curious about one for this year and another for next season.



2010: The NCAA is making it a 15 yd penalty to form a wedge on kickoff returns. This includes two or more players forming up shoulder to shoulder within 2 yds of each other, regardless if they make contact with the opposition or not. They state it as a safety isssue. This has been a mainstay on kickoff returns across the board for years and wonder how this will impact the return games this season. For us I don't think it hurts too much as our guys don't seem to follow their blockers very well anyway, but suspect this will have some impact this season. I'd be more worried if we were playing against PAC refs this season. I could see them calling a Wedge formation at the slightest provocation (anytime they see 3 of our players in the same field of vision), setting us back 15 yds from the spot of the call. If attempting to decieve the Defense is a penalty against us then a phantom wedge formation call is not out of the question. (I know the decieving the defense call wasn't PAC refs)



2011: Taunting/Celebrating. Next year the refs will be able to call back a touchdown if a player celebrates while going into the endzone. I think this is pretty ridiculous. This puts the outcome of comes more in the control of the refs and less from the players. I think the NCAA uses the celebration penalty to excess anyway, but now they will have one more tool to help influence the outcome of the game. Actually the rule is not just limited to scoring, but could be applied to any unsportmanlike penalty occurring during live play - the 15 yd penalty will be assessed like any other live ball penalty and not after the play is over - this could signficantly impact play, especially during more heated/emotional matchups. I don't like this rule change, nor do I think it is necessary.



Any thoughts?
B
BYULV
I nearly forgot two major changes this year:



1) Socks must be same style and color, but do not need to be the same height. I'm glad they clarified that.

;)

2) That dark stuff they put under their eyes cannot have words, numbers, logos or symbols in it anymore. :~(
M
Mingjai
Will the NCAA ever adopt a gown-up pass interference rule? 15-yards and automatic first down is ridiculous! It's the one NFL rule that college should adopt.


BYULV wrote:
I nearly forgot two major changes this year:



1) Socks must be same style and color, but do not need to be the same height. I'm glad they clarified that.

;)

2) That dark stuff they put under their eyes cannot have words, numbers, logos or symbols in it anymore. :~(


Apparently, the stickers (with or without the logos on them) aren't effective in reducing glare, but actual grease is. Bronco should make sure the team switches to grease instead of stickers.



http://archopht.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/121/7/997
V
vancouvercougar
Mingjai wrote:
Will the NCAA ever adopt a gown-up pass interference rule? 15-yards and automatic first down is ridiculous! It's the one NFL rule that college should adopt.


I nearly forgot two major changes this year:



1) Socks must be same style and color, but do not need to be the same height. I'm glad they clarified that.

;)

2) That dark stuff they put under their eyes cannot have words, numbers, logos or symbols in it anymore. :~(


Apparently, the stickers (with or without the logos on them) aren't effective in reducing glare, but actual grease is. Bronco should make sure the team switches to grease instead of stickers.



http://archopht.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/121/7/997


What is a gown-up pass interference? Didn't know football players wore gowns.
B
Brayden Green
BYULV wrote:

2011: Taunting/Celebrating. Next year the refs will be able to call back a touchdown if a player celebrates while going into the endzone. I think this is pretty ridiculous. This puts the outcome of comes more in the control of the refs and less from the players. I think the NCAA uses the celebration penalty to excess anyway, but now they will have one more tool to help influence the outcome of the game. Actually the rule is not just limited to scoring, but could be applied to any unsportmanlike penalty occurring during live play - the 15 yd penalty will be assessed like any other live ball penalty and not after the play is over - this could signficantly impact play, especially during more heated/emotional matchups. I don't like this rule change, nor do I think it is necessary.



Any thoughts?


Love this rule. I hate to sound like a crotchety old grandpa (of the which I'm not), but I don't want to see the NCAA go the way of the NBA. Bunch of thugs throwing up alley oops and beating their chest all day. It is getting kind of rediculous already, with guys high-stepping on the way in, and waving the defense to come closer. I don't care about celebrating after you score the TD, same as I don't care if you wave to the crowd after you make a 3. Just don't get all crazy before you do that.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
BlueIsBetter wrote:

2011: Taunting/Celebrating. Next year the refs will be able to call back a touchdown if a player celebrates while going into the endzone. I think this is pretty ridiculous. This puts the outcome of comes more in the control of the refs and less from the players. I think the NCAA uses the celebration penalty to excess anyway, but now they will have one more tool to help influence the outcome of the game. Actually the rule is not just limited to scoring, but could be applied to any unsportmanlike penalty occurring during live play - the 15 yd penalty will be assessed like any other live ball penalty and not after the play is over - this could signficantly impact play, especially during more heated/emotional matchups. I don't like this rule change, nor do I think it is necessary.



Any thoughts?


Love this rule. I hate to sound like a crotchety old grandpa (of the which I'm not), but I don't want to see the NCAA go the way of the NBA. Bunch of thugs throwing up alley oops and beating their chest all day. It is getting kind of rediculous already, with guys high-stepping on the way in, and waving the defense to come closer. I don't care about celebrating after you score the TD, same as I don't care if you wave to the crowd after you make a 3. Just don't get all crazy before you do that.




I don't disagree with the unsportsmanlike penalty, especially if a guy is taunting, however, the showboating and taunting do not give an advantage on the play and calling back a touchdown is a huge penalty and gives the refs too much power to interfere with actual play on the field. Give the guy 15 yards on the kickoff or extra point, why isn't that sufficient. Even suspend a guy if he is a repeat offender if necessary, but let the game play out.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.