Archived Topic

Two QB system

by Cougarpoke · 8/27/2010

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
So, now that Bronco says we are using two qbs...how is that going to work?



http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=14279



I like the idea, just want to make sure we aren't messing with the team chemistry like back in the Crowton days (i.e. Pendelton and Engeman).
C
Cougarpoke
After re-reading the article, I think this is just a way for Bronco to break Heaps in slowly, and allow Nelson to be used strategically. I also think Bronco is worried about messing with Heaps head too early and that is why Nelson will be starting against UW.



"It is anticipated that Nelson will take the opening snap against Washington but both quarterbacks will play."
Y
YNot
This is great news!



It appeases both Nelson and Heaps.



It allows Heaps to break into the college game with less pressure.



It capitalizes on the strengths of both players.



It allows for flexibility and change of pace.



I'm excited to see how it plays out...
M
Mars
Cougarpoke wrote:
http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=14279

“I am 100 percent behind this decision,” Heaps said. “I feel the coaches have made the right decision for both Riley and I and this football team. Riley is a great player and I’m excited to have the opportunity to contribute. This isn’t about me or him; it’s about us—it’s about doing what we can to help our team.”
S
SpiffCoug
The key is going to be managing and defining roles. I really like Heaps' quote. I think both QBs will do well. I fully expect Jake's role increase throughout the season, but for Riley to still be used in specific situations later in the year.



This is about team. Both guys seem to buy into that.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I am absolutely not a fan of 2 qb systems. That said, I trust Bronco 100% and am confident that it's the best decision.
Y
YBrit
Schmoe wrote:
I am absolutely not a fan of 2 qb systems. That said, I trust Bronco 100% and am confident that it's the best decision.



Crowton would jest.
J
jonnylingo
Schmoe wrote:
I am absolutely not a fan of 2 qb systems. That said, I trust Bronco 100% and am confident that it's the best decision.


I agree with the firs statement. I trust Bronco about 85%. It could be a mistake but I think he is doing the best he can with the facts as they are. I say man up and just make jake the 'primary' qb with riley as a 'situational' qb. a pure two qb system which bronco seems to be adopting is never a good idea. It makes sense in theory but in practice it is much more difficult.



I can see the hesitancy to throw jake to the wolves right away against none other than the team he spurned to come to byu. too bad uw saw the writing on the wall and whimped out of the future games with us.
S
snoscythe
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=3iEBNz59OAik__BsNr5$0s$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYthd0r$m_cTTXDHiALABjHHWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
So basically Washington is a glorified scrimmage for us. We are still trying to see who is going to step up and respond. It definitely adds just one more intriguing aspect to the game.
Advertisement
S
Sammich
snoscythe wrote:
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=3iEBNz59OAik__BsNr5$0s$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYthd0r$m_cTTXDHiALABjHHWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I like that system. Two QBs on the field at a time, two balls, should be easy to get the yardage.
R
redneckjedi
Sammich wrote:
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=3iEBNz59OAik__BsNr5$0s$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYthd0r$m_cTTXDHiALABjHHWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_CryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I like that system. Two QBs on the field at a time, two balls, should be easy to get the yardage.


And the fact that I'm seeing THREE QBs on the field is just an optical illusion? Man, this offense is going to ROCK!
L
Lawboy
You're just drunk again. dude, step away from the crack pipe :)~
S
Short_Change
I hope Anae gets creative and uses both guys in the same play multiple times during each game. We have to keep the other team off balance and exploit the advantages we have with this kind of 2-QB system. The only reason I think Bronco is going with both is because of how different, yet efficient, both are which has already been stated.
R
redneckjedi
Lawboy wrote:
You're just drunk again. dude, step away from the crack pipe :)~


Crack pipe? Nah. We use good ol' fashioned moonshine out in these parts!
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I think he is going with both because you never really know what you have until they get in the game. Some guys are workout warriors, but panic in games. Other guys stink in practice, but rock on game day. You give both guys a chance to show they can get it done, and whoever does better wins the job. Plus, if Heaps does not, can still resdshirt him if he does not play after game 2. So this is a smart move. I like it.
A
allcoug
Here's what I would love to see:



Both QB's line up next to each other in shot gun. On each snap Riley rolls left and Heaps rolls right. The defense will have to cover both sides of the field each time.



I know this sounds "Crowtenish" - but it would be fun to watch for a few series.
R
redneckjedi
Maybe we can have ALL FOUR QBs in the backfield on a play, and do that hand grenade thingy like we did on that kickoff once!
T
tmoney35
The comments in the article are pretty anti- 2QB system, but I think the reason most 2QB systems fail is because neither QB is good enough to win the starting job, so the coach has to keep putting different QB's in.



In our situation, both QB's are too good to keep off the field. Both have shown that they can move the offense and score. One may still rise above the other during the season and win the starting job outright, but I wouldn't be surprised either if even by the end of the year, both are still getting significant playing time.
R
runbyu1
allcoug wrote:
Here's what I would love to see:



Both QB's line up next to each other in shot gun. On each snap Riley rolls left and Heaps rolls right. The defense will have to cover both sides of the field each time.



I know this sounds "Crowtenish" - but it would be fun to watch for a few series.


Dang that sounds like it would be confusing to a defender---let's re-write the college football playbook AGAIN!
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.