Archived Topic

Wrubell's Take

by mraven · 8/27/2010

Advertisement
M
mraven
I just thought this was worth posting here. Greg Wrubell makes some excellent points and ties some crucial pieces of information together in a way that adds validity to his arguments. I actually hope he's right. I don't think I could stomach staying in the MWC if things aren't drastically different than they are now, and it doesn't sound like they will be.



http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=12167861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
F
frdbtr
I think that Wrubell and Harmon are the only 2 guys in the media that really have this thing figured out. I am still very skeptical about independance but I am resigned to the fact that BYU is most likely going to declare it. It just remains to be seen where their other sports end up.
U
urroner
The quote in the article that struck me the most was:


"Parenthetically, there was Thompson's intimation that the MWC would mitigate any buyout-related fiscal hardships Fresno and Reno might encounter ("We're not going to bankrupt them to come into the MWC"). That must have gone down well in Provo; legacy member BYU can't get meaningful concessions from the MWC, but non-members (and perceived back-stabbers) Fresno State and Nevada can? "


It reminds me of a person I know who treats his wife like dirt, but he puts his new girlfriends up on a pedestal and treats them real nice. What more can I say?
F
frdbtr
urroner wrote:
The quote in the article that struck me the most was:


"Parenthetically, there was Thompson's intimation that the MWC would mitigate any buyout-related fiscal hardships Fresno and Reno might encounter ("We're not going to bankrupt them to come into the MWC"). That must have gone down well in Provo; legacy member BYU can't get meaningful concessions from the MWC, but non-members (and perceived back-stabbers) Fresno State and Nevada can? "


It reminds me of a person I know who treats his wife like dirt, but he puts his new girlfriends up on a pedestal and treats them real nice. What more can I say?


Yeah but in this case, the new girlfriends look like your avatar picture and the wife looks like Carrie Underwood. It just doesn't makes sense.
K
kiwibacon
frdbtr wrote:
The quote in the article that struck me the most was:


"Parenthetically, there was Thompson's intimation that the MWC would mitigate any buyout-related fiscal hardships Fresno and Reno might encounter ("We're not going to bankrupt them to come into the MWC"). That must have gone down well in Provo; legacy member BYU can't get meaningful concessions from the MWC, but non-members (and perceived back-stabbers) Fresno State and Nevada can? "


It reminds me of a person I know who treats his wife like dirt, but he puts his new girlfriends up on a pedestal and treats them real nice. What more can I say?


Yeah but in this case, the new girlfriends look like your avatar picture and the wife looks like Carrie Underwood. It just doesn't makes sense.

Agreed...Although I am sure you can substitute Underwood for any person of your liking.
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
Parenthetically, there was Thompson's intimation that the MWC would mitigate any buyout-related fiscal hardships Fresno and Reno might encounter ("We're not going to bankrupt them to come into the MWC"). That must have gone down well in Provo; legacy member BYU can't get meaningful concessions from the MWC, but non-members (and perceived back-stabbers) Fresno State and Nevada can?


This is a great point that I hadn't thought about. What a slap in the face this must have seemed to BYU. The MWC would through millions of dollars at two schools that aren't even members of the conference and really not that important, but it would totally screw over it's cash cow and repeatedly say it will not make concessions. Geez, talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
S
SpiffCoug
Why would you substitute anyone for Underwood? She's simply gorgeous. She makes me love country music. At least I thoroughly enjoy listening to her sultry voice and dulcet tones.
S
SenorCougar
I think Thompson has played his "hand" and has permanently damaged the relationship. Even if BYU were to stay in the MWC, it certainly will be only on a temporary basis. Let Mr. Thompson split the scanty revenues with two or three more schools. If BYU leaves, the TV interest in the MWC could be negligible. This could force Boise State to reconsider, and TCU will have to make a choice regarding exposure. BYU will land on its feet in some shape or fashion; however, MWC may not be so fortunate. And Commissioner Thompson's actions have permanently driven a wedge between the two. You can talk and act tough all you want, Mr. Thompson, but in the end MONEY talks and gives power. Your conference's ultimate fate is now determined. In due time, BYU will leave and your TV contract won't sustain the conference's viability. Even if BYU has to settle for less, it may now be willing to do so....
F
frdbtr
kitic77 wrote:
Why would you substitute anyone for Underwood? She's simply gorgeous. She makes me love country music. At least I thoroughly enjoy listening to her sultry voice and dulcet tones.


Agreed. I was just trying to come up with someone who everyone would recognize that was gorgeous and not a has been. If you don't think she is hot (not sure how you couldn't), just substitute whomever you want. the point is still the same.
S
SpiffCoug
SenorCougar wrote:
I think Thompson has played his "hand" and has permanently damaged the relationship. Even if BYU were to stay in the MWC, it certainly will be only on a temporary basis. Let Mr. Thompson split the scanty revenues with two or three more schools. If BYU leaves, the TV interest in the MWC could be negligible. This could force Boise State to reconsider, and TCU will have to make a choice regarding exposure. BYU will land on its feet in some shape or fashion; however, MWC may not be so fortunate. And Commissioner Thompson's actions have permanently driven a wedge between the two. You can talk and act tough all you want, Mr. Thompson, but in the end MONEY talks and gives power. Your conference's ultimate fate is now determined. In due time, BYU will leave and your TV contract won't sustain the conference's viability. Even if BYU has to settle for less, it may now be willing to do so....

All Thompson did was take away a possible destination for BYU. The decision to leave was/has been already made. The MWC has yet to give BYU a reason to stay in the MWC.
Advertisement
S
SenorCougar
kitic77 wrote:
I think Thompson has played his "hand" and has permanently damaged the relationship. Even if BYU were to stay in the MWC, it certainly will be only on a temporary basis. Let Mr. Thompson split the scanty revenues with two or three more schools. If BYU leaves, the TV interest in the MWC could be negligible. This could force Boise State to reconsider, and TCU will have to make a choice regarding exposure. BYU will land on its feet in some shape or fashion; however, MWC may not be so fortunate. And Commissioner Thompson's actions have permanently driven a wedge between the two. You can talk and act tough all you want, Mr. Thompson, but in the end MONEY talks and gives power. Your conference's ultimate fate is now determined. In due time, BYU will leave and your TV contract won't sustain the conference's viability. Even if BYU has to settle for less, it may now be willing to do so....

All Thompson did was take away a possible destination for BYU. The decision to leave was/has been already made. The MWC has yet to give BYU a reason to stay in the MWC.


I agree. Well said.......
S
Schmoe
kitic77 wrote:
Why would you substitute anyone for Underwood? She's simply gorgeous. She makes me love country music. At least I thoroughly enjoy listening to her sultry voice and dulcet tones.


Quoted for truth. Also, I have a buddy who dated her, don't ask me how he ever let that one get away, because I don't know how it's possible.
S
Short_Change
kitic77 wrote:
I think Thompson has played his "hand" and has permanently damaged the relationship. Even if BYU were to stay in the MWC, it certainly will be only on a temporary basis. Let Mr. Thompson split the scanty revenues with two or three more schools. If BYU leaves, the TV interest in the MWC could be negligible. This could force Boise State to reconsider, and TCU will have to make a choice regarding exposure. BYU will land on its feet in some shape or fashion; however, MWC may not be so fortunate. And Commissioner Thompson's actions have permanently driven a wedge between the two. You can talk and act tough all you want, Mr. Thompson, but in the end MONEY talks and gives power. Your conference's ultimate fate is now determined. In due time, BYU will leave and your TV contract won't sustain the conference's viability. Even if BYU has to settle for less, it may now be willing to do so....

All Thompson did was take away a possible destination for BYU. The decision to leave was/has been already made. The MWC has yet to give BYU a reason to stay in the MWC.


That's what I don't get about this whole situation. The MWC has already lost Utah and Thompson knows that BYU, who really means everything to the MWC, is very unhappy and very likely to leave. Why wouldn't Thompson and the MWC go out of their way to treat them like the king that they are? The only thing Thompson did was eliminate the WAC as a place for BYU to go. What a bone head.



On a side note, why would Fresno and Nevada want to be in the MWC if BYU and Utah aren't there and BYU was on their way to the WAC? Are they just as bone-headed as Thompson? If someone can explain that to me that would be great. Did they think that because they came to the MWC BYU would stay and it would be better for them?
F
Finnish_Blue
The reason I keep hearing as to why those schools would consider the jump is that the HI travel expenses were too much for those schools to operate in the black.
I
Isola
I really think CT has played his last hand and in the process killed any relationship with BYU. I was initially opposed to independence for the Y, but now I would like to see it happen and I think it will.



I think exposure trumps money for BYU and they will likely be able to find more of both by leaving the MWC. If the BYU football team is a missionary tool then why send them to ABQ, Fort Collins and Laramie every other year. If they go independent then they can spread their games out a lot more. It would be like the Young Ambassadors touring the same 8 cities over and over again.



I think BYU will take their other sports to another conference, likely the WCC, and perhaps get less money from ESPN but they will schedule who they want when they want (although it will take work).
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
frdbtr wrote:
Why would you substitute anyone for Underwood? She's simply gorgeous. She makes me love country music. At least I thoroughly enjoy listening to her sultry voice and dulcet tones.


Agreed. I was just trying to come up with someone who everyone would recognize that was gorgeous and not a has been. If you don't think she is hot (not sure how you couldn't), just substitute whomever you want. the point is still the same.


She's not that hot. too boney for my liking. :)
U
urroner
frdbtr wrote:
The quote in the article that struck me the most was:


"Parenthetically, there was Thompson's intimation that the MWC would mitigate any buyout-related fiscal hardships Fresno and Reno might encounter ("We're not going to bankrupt them to come into the MWC"). That must have gone down well in Provo; legacy member BYU can't get meaningful concessions from the MWC, but non-members (and perceived back-stabbers) Fresno State and Nevada can? "


It reminds me of a person I know who treats his wife like dirt, but he puts his new girlfriends up on a pedestal and treats them real nice. What more can I say?


Yeah but in this case, the new girlfriends look like your avatar picture and the wife looks like Carrie Underwood. It just doesn't makes sense.


Ahhhh, what are you saying about my good looks?



http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk8/Sarancelea/funny-pictures-your-cat-is-not-real.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=6gZr-OSC3hGbVov3Nnh2JQ&size=l" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
IowaCougar
One reason for Nevada to jump is to be in the same conference as UNLV, where there should be a natural rivalry. Even without BYU, the Mountain West is still probably a stronger conference than the WAC. The biggest problem now for them will be TV revenue. I think without BYU the mtn will fold. (Assuming BYU really does leave).
J
Jumanji
On a side note, why would Fresno and Nevada want to be in the MWC if BYU and Utah aren't there and BYU was on their way to the WAC? Are they just as bone-headed as Thompson? If someone can explain that to me that would be great. Did they think that because they came to the MWC BYU would stay and it would be better for them?


Actually, with Boise st. gone nevada and fresno st. would be the best teams in the WAC. The bottom of the WAC is much worse than the bottom of the MWC. Plus, BYU wouldn't actually be joining the WAC they would just play some of them each year in football. It probably appeared that BYU was just using the WAC as a temporary landing pad until something better came along, therefore the situation wouldn't be as secure for Nevada and fresno st. in the long run.



In my opinion, the MWC is a much stronger conference even with BYU and Utah gone, so i can't blame Fresno and Nevada bolting when they had the chance. You have to look after your own. I'm sure we will be telling others the same if we end up going indie.
F
frdbtr
urroner wrote:
urroner wrote:
The quote in the article that struck me the most was:


"Parenthetically, there was Thompson's intimation that the MWC would mitigate any buyout-related fiscal hardships Fresno and Reno might encounter ("We're not going to bankrupt them to come into the MWC"). That must have gone down well in Provo; legacy member BYU can't get meaningful concessions from the MWC, but non-members (and perceived back-stabbers) Fresno State and Nevada can? "


It reminds me of a person I know who treats his wife like dirt, but he puts his new girlfriends up on a pedestal and treats them real nice. What more can I say?


Yeah but in this case, the new girlfriends look like your avatar picture and the wife looks like Carrie Underwood. It just doesn't makes sense.


Ahhhh, what are you saying about my good looks?



http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk8/Sarancelea/funny-pictures-your-cat-is-not-real.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=6gZr-OSC3hGbVov3Nnh2JQ&size=l" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Nothing...for a man you are beautiful, just wouldn't want my wife to look like that :D
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.