S
scott715Archived Topic
Vai says . . .
by scott715 · 8/27/2010
Advertisement
D
DdawgVai Sikahema is a pretty knowledgeable guy. He has experience & a feel for this "Independent" stuff. Me - I'm still a skosh skeptical.
I
IowaCougarI've been skeptical about independence from the beginning. However, as things have played out, I find myself more open to the idea. Vai's (do any of you remember that we fans used to call him "Sideways Sekahema" because of his kick return style?) comments regarding exposure bring a different perspective, and show that maybe it's not all about the money.
One concern I have is that if BYU-TV starts broadcasting more sports and accepts more advertising, will the satellite providers drop it because it will no longer fit into their "public service" category? Does anyone have more info on this?
One concern I have is that if BYU-TV starts broadcasting more sports and accepts more advertising, will the satellite providers drop it because it will no longer fit into their "public service" category? Does anyone have more info on this?
S
Schmoe"(do any of you remember that we fans used to call him "Sideways Sekahema" because of his kick return style?)"
No, but I remember when he beat the s*** out of Jose Canseco!
No, but I remember when he beat the s*** out of Jose Canseco!
T
tmoney35Fantastic article. He really gets to the heart of what BYU sports is all about and the real reason we might go independent with this quote:
The driving force behind all this is how many people see BYU sports. It's not about money or football glory or whatever else. I fully believe that the leaders of the church would get rid of BYU sports if it became apparent that the exposure was no longer promoting the church and the gospel.
The way things are today, if you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards. Staying stagnant in the MWC isn't getting it done, especially if there's an option that would greatly increase BYU's exposure.
Not long after the sports programs at Ricks College were banned a decade ago, a couple members of the Board of Trustees met with the Athletic Dept staff at BYU to discuss BYU's mission and answer questions and concerns. Naturally, someone asked if BYU Sports was also in danger of going the way of the Dodo bird. I'm told the answer was, and I'm paraphrasing, "BYU sports is second only to the efforts of our young men and women's efforts as missionaries in attracting interest to the Church. If that changes, then we'll reconsider if it's worth having."
The driving force behind all this is how many people see BYU sports. It's not about money or football glory or whatever else. I fully believe that the leaders of the church would get rid of BYU sports if it became apparent that the exposure was no longer promoting the church and the gospel.
The way things are today, if you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards. Staying stagnant in the MWC isn't getting it done, especially if there's an option that would greatly increase BYU's exposure.
Advertisement
B
bpleweIowaCougar wrote:
One concern I have is that if BYU-TV starts broadcasting more sports and accepts more advertising, will the satellite providers drop it because it will no longer fit into their "public service" category? Does anyone have more info on this?
Given the mission of BYU-TV and BYU Sports (so eloquently expressed by Vai), I would not be at all surprised if, after money from ESPN/mtn/CBSCS/KSL whatever, BYU-TV broadcasts the rest of the games (and simulcasts KSL games like the good old days) with *no* commercials, other than promo and donor spots. That's basically what they do with Men's Volleyball and other sports now.
Wouldn't that throw Texas for a loop!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

