Archived Topic

Which will be the strongest unit in 2010?

by Y 4 Ever · 8/26/2010

Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Going into this season, there are a lot of questions surrounding the BYU football team. Lots of new faces, lots of uncertainty.



In your opinion, what will be BYU's strongest unit in 2010 - Offense, Defense, Special Teams.



I'm going with Defense. Sure, lots of new faces, but lots of athleticism, and an experienced and relatively deep defensive backfield. I think we'll see a more aggressive, attacking style of D than we've seen the last few years - like the old Bronco defenses, but with more speed and athleticism. (can't wait to see those 'backers in action!)



I think that the offense will slowly improve over the year, but will struggle early, with all the production we lost. We're going to rely on the D to beat UW, AFA, Reno and (hopefully) FSU. Then, in the middle of the season, against the softies of the MWC, the O will start to blossom, and be ready for the beatdown of :utard: .



What do you think?



p.s. Special Teams was only included to be P.C.
L
Lawboy
Defense. Having corners that can play aggressive is a HUGE plus. Let's just hope they stay healthy.
B
BroncoBot
Having a D-line that can pressure a QB is going to pay huge dividends as well. Should be a VERY exciting year on the defensive side of the ball.
M
Mars


BYU's offense has scored 30+ points per game for 3 seasons running now.



This year should make it 4.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:


BYU's offense has scored 30+ points per game for 3 seasons running now.



This year should make it 4.

Does that mean you voted for the O?
Advertisement
M
Mars
declocoug wrote:
Does that mean you voted for the O?

Someone has to be contrarian. The defense looks to be very strong this year, but I don't think the offense is getting the respect it deserves. Being young doesn't take away being talented, especially behind JJ and the O-Line.



Besides, I'm still looking for someone to take me up on my $100 bet that BYU's Run D finishes worse nationally this year than it did last season.
S
Schmoe
I think this was a really tough call. I gave it to our defense because we have such a great group in the secondary and athletic linebackers. But the offensive line should be really good and we have a great receiving corps. I'd say it's our D now, but will be our O by the end of the year once we get a qb situated and comfortable.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Mars wrote:
Does that mean you voted for the O?

Someone has to be contrarian. The defense looks to be very strong this year, but I don't think the offense is getting the respect it deserves. Being young doesn't take away being talented, especially behind JJ and the O-Line.



Besides, I'm still looking for someone to take me up on my $100 bet that BYU's Run D finishes worse nationally this year than it did last season.


Just because the D will be stronger doesn't mean the O won't be good. We do have an awesome O-Line, and I'm guessing we'll be heavily reliant on the run game, at least in the beginning of the year. O will come around, but for the year in aggregate, the D will be stronger.
B
BroncoBot
33311710 wrote:
declocoug wrote:
Does that mean you voted for the O?

Someone has to be contrarian. The defense looks to be very strong this year, but I don't think the offense is getting the respect it deserves. Being young doesn't take away being talented, especially behind JJ and the O-Line.



Besides, I'm still looking for someone to take me up on my $100 bet that BYU's Run D finishes worse nationally this year than it did last season.


Just because the D will be stronger doesn't mean the O won't be good. We do have an awesome O-Line, and I'm guessing we'll be heavily reliant on the run game, at least in the beginning of the year. O will come around, but for the year in aggregate, the D will be stronger.

Totally agree. After submitting my vote, I started thinking about it and the O is going to be good. We just don't know who is going to be making the plays at a few positions, but it will come together and I'm sure that BYU is going to average over 30 a game. It's going to be another good year.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.