Archived Topic

A few questions now that "fall camp" is over....

by kjjson · 8/26/2010

Advertisement
K
kjjson
So I have a few questions now that Fall Camp is over and prep for Washington begins on what we can take from Fall Camp. I would love to hear some opinions on these:



1. The QB situation - I've often heard the phrase that if you have 2 quarterbacks, then you don't have a starting quarterback. Is it a good thing that Nelson and Heaps haven't seperated from each other (they are both great quarterbacks and BYU is in good hands with either), or is it a bad thing (we don't really know if we can have confidence in either QB?



2. The TE and ILB situation - See the same question above.



3. Is our defensive pressure going to be better, or do we have an issue at Offensive Line/QB play? It seems that there have been a lot of sacks this fall camp. One of the tough things about fall camp is that we want to see both our offense and our defense do well, but it is difficult to get both of those. Are the number of sacks due to improved defensive pressure, a lineman/RM missing blocks, or the QB holding on to the ball too long?



Thanks.
W
Wickchad
I attribute the higher level of sacks to new quarterbacks learning the system and taking longer to make reads. When we play against upperclassman quarterbacks that advantage will go away.
L
Lawboy
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I attribute the higher level of sacks to new quarterbacks learning the system and taking longer to make reads. When we play against upperclassman quarterbacks that advantage will go away.


I attribute the sacks to the 2nd and 3rd team O-lineman, who did not look great in camp this year. I believe Bronco said himself that we have 7 game ready O-lineman (5 Starters, plus Aletto, Kahaiali'i). The rest struggled, including Houston Reynolds.



BYU has platooned LB and TE's in the past, so I m not worried at all about those positions. Teams often make changes for situations as well, and depth helps with that. As to the QB, I am fine with it since both are so different. It can work. Look at what Cincinnati did last year with 2 QB's. Did not hurt them at all.
S
scott715
Also maybe quick whistles to protect the QB.
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
I attribute the sacks to the 2nd and 3rd team O-lineman

True. Guys like Jordan Black and Blair Tushaus look very athletic and talented, but definitely need a year of seasoning.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think the general consensus here regarding that QB situation is that we do have 2 QBs. We appear to have complimentary QBs as opposed to trying to choose between 2 QBs with similar skills, neither of whom can get the job done. I think we're going to use the first three four games before seeing Jake named the starter, with Riley filling a specific role.



I'm pretty confident that the if you have 2 QBs you don't have any, isn't applicable to BYU this year. I do think that eventually, we're going to have one primary guy.
S
scott715
So will they be Thunder and Lightening?
S
SpiffCoug
No, they'll be Touchdown and Long Touchdown!
L
Lawboy
kitic77 wrote:
I think we're going to use the first three four games before seeing Jake named the starter, with Riley filling a specific role.


I think it might take 2 games. If Riley is getting it done by game 2, BYU could still redshirt Jake, and I could see Bronco doing that. But if Jake is carrying his end, he will continue to play. Seeing what jacke can do carries no real downside because he does not lose that redshirt until game 3.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.