Archived Topic

WAC-BYU Resolution Text

by bplewe · 8/26/2010

Advertisement
B
bplewe
I'm surprised nobody has posted anything on this yet (unless I missed something):

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50160538-77/wac-resolution-byu-state.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



If it's for real (and how did the Trib get it???), it has some interesting things we haven't heard before:

1) Not only were the WAC teams committing to stay put for 5 years, but BYU was committing to 5 years (or pay $5M) as well.

2) Louisiana Tech was exempt from everything. Obviously, they already had plans (or hopes and dreams), probably seeing the Houston/UTEP>MWC coming. So we were already essentially joining a 7-team, not 8-team conference.



Thoughts?
B
BYULV
But BYU could get out for free if they joined a BCS conference.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
After reading this I don't see how Nevada and Fresno can get out of paying their $5MM unless BYU doesn't join the WAC by Sept. 1.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bplewe
BYULV wrote:
After reading this I don't see how Nevada and Fresno can get out of paying their $5MM unless BYU doesn't join the WAC by Sept. 1.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I was going to say, they wouldn't have to pay if there weren't a WAC in 60 days, but of course there still will be, even if it is a lame duck.
D
doublej
So, BYU gets an out if they join a BCS conference. Call me crazy but I can't imagine that clause normally being included. The way I see it, BYU made sure that clause was in there to pave the way for them to bolt in a year or two for when the Big XII is ready.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.