Archived Topic

Two qb system, dropped balls, and receiver duties

by jonnylingo · 8/24/2010

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I don't like the idea and it worries me. I hope that the coaches know what they are doing.



byu's offense is all about timing and rythm. this two qb thing is a distraction to that and a distraction in general. I say pick a starter and go with him.



Just pick Nelson and let Jake see all the time he can. Or just pick Heaps right away and have nelson come in on key plays where he will be helpful but without disrupting the timing and rythm of the offense.



I wonder though if all the dropped balls are not just a result of the two qbs but also their increased load the coaches have given them of learning to be receiver at every position. they may have more ofcus on running routes correctly to the point where its makinng it harder to catch balls.



i see a young team with a lot of work to do. It does not bode well for the first few games. I am quite worried about the offense.



we have the talent and with time we will get better than our last bunch, but i think our youth with struggle for at least the first half of the season execution wise. and we all know byu is all about execution.
R
redneckjedi
As I've said before, IF the coaches go with two QBs, it will only be because they firmly believe that 1) no QB is clearly ahead of the others, 2) the potential benefits of the different playing styles, developing Heaps for the long term, etc., outweigh the risks, and 3) the strategy gives us the best potential to win all the games on the schedule this year and in the future.



49-15 means you're doing something right. I trust Bronco. I would trust him if he wanted to play 4 QBs. He wants the best for the team and program.
B
bball
"I would not be surprised if Heaps ends up the starter, with Nelson used systematically, strategically and consistently, in what amounts to a "two QB system." (Wrubell) I think he has it pegged pretty good. So Heaps will be the starter, and Nelson will be used in special situations. I don't see that as a two QB system; Heaps is still the "thrower" and Nelson the "runner."



ON a side note. With the tight ends dropping so many balls, and the wide receivers seemingly fast, talented, and not dropping balls; I see a different offense this year, with not many balls going to the tight ends. They'll let them grow up and get tired of just blocking, when they're ready to catch balls they'll start throwing to them again.



Also, has anybody kept track of the sack leaders in camp? It would appear that So'oto is a beast and is beating everybody. If he could be our sackmaster this year, boy it would ramp up our defense a notch to something we haven't seen in awhile.
G
Guest
bball wrote:
Also, has anybody kept track of the sack leaders in camp? It would appear that So'oto is a beast and is beating everybody. If he could be our sackmaster this year, boy it would ramp up our defense a notch to something we haven't seen in awhile.


Throughout camp So'oto has been the sack leader. He will be a force on the DLine if he can stay healthy.
S
Schmoe
If they haven't dropped by now, you should probably see a doctor...
Advertisement
K
Kbear
I'm a doctor and some never drop :crazy:
S
Schmoe
Kbear wrote:
I'm a doctor and some never drop :crazy:


Oh, is THAT why the frutes are sackless?
B
BYULV
Now that game prep begins we wills see a lot fewer dropped passes as the main players will be getting all the reps and will not be dropping balls like the works in progress. Even the tight ends will be fine as the coaches know who has the hands in the group and will lean on them for pass plays and the bigger, butter-finger guys will be called on to block or stay on the sidelines. At this point, if you're still dropping passes you are not likely going to see much playing time in the next game or two.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
has anybody kept track of the sack leaders in camp?
Throughout camp So'oto has been the sack leader..

9 days in (we are at day 15 now), So'oto had 5 sacks. Bryson had 4, Eathyn and Peterson had 3.



Kyle Van Noy had 7! And Frazier had 4.5.
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
bball wrote:
has anybody kept track of the sack leaders in camp?
Throughout camp So'oto has been the sack leader..

9 days in (we are at day 15 now), So'oto had 5 sacks. Bryson had 4, Eathyn and Peterson had 3.



Kyle Van Noy had 7! And Frazier had 4.5.


Reading that tickles my sack bone.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
has anybody kept track of the sack leaders in camp?
Throughout camp So'oto has been the sack leader..

9 days in (we are at day 15 now), So'oto had 5 sacks. Bryson had 4, Eathyn and Peterson had 3.



Kyle Van Noy had 7! And Frazier had 4.5.


Reading that tickles my sack bone.


I just threw up in my office.
L
Lawboy
As long as those sacks weren't v the 1st team O-line, I love it. If they were, then that makes me nervous on offense. Our d will need to carry us this year, and that is a strange feeling for a BYU team.
B
bball
Bronco has singled out Van Noy more than once and praised him for his play. He may not be the starter against UW, but my bet is he gets significant playing time and will be the starter for the year is over. I am really excited about this defense, they have more speed, more physicality, more talent than ever--me thinks. I think Bronco's only hesitation about starting a lot of freshmen and redshirt freshmen, it their lack of experience, they have not yet proven than he can depend on them in games--where it really counts. And I am excited to see what our front three can do this year, I have a hunch they will be better than last year's front three.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.