Archived Topic

Come On Guys, Use TIC

by EM_Puma · 8/23/2010

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Last week someone here posts a thread that Braden Hansen has a punctured lung caused by Riley Stephenson's kicking of a PAT. The post sounded strange, but I wasn't sure and I immediately looked at KSL, TBS, DesNews and SLTrib to see if anyone else was reporting this same injury. I saw nothing, so I called my son-in-law, Braden's first cousin and asked him if he had heard anything through the family. He hadn't, so I guessed I'd wait unti the next day to see the on-line paper accounts of injuries. My son-in-law though is now concerned and calls his and Branden's grandmother and shocks the snot out of the very senior lady asking if she knew that Braden had a punctured lung. She, very concerned for her grandson's health, calls him and finds out there is no merit to the story.



Of course now I see that the whole thing was a joke on how bad Riley Stephenson was kicking PAT's and was what is called a tongue-in-cheek (TIC)expression. Normal protocol when you make a statement such that someone is actually injured in the public forum and it is a joke, please put at the bottom "TIC" so we don't end up causing the coronary of a very senior grandmother.
B
BigCougsFan
Oh man! I took it as a joke instantly. That's kinda funny!



TIC



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byutx
TIC?
C
Cougs_Rule
"Braden Hansen has a punctured lung...

by dmcougar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:33 pm



yep.....he took a football to the back off a Riley Stephensen PAT. :-)"





My bad. Messin with Gma was not my intention. I thought the smiley face was contextual TIC, but the subject line without the kicker could have confused. Point taken.

It appears now that Payne is back on the job, all the O-linemen are sleeping better at nights :-)
N
northerncougar
EM_Puma wrote:
Last week someone here posts a thread that Braden Hansen has a punctured lung caused by Riley Stephenson's kicking of a PAT. The post sounded strange, but I wasn't sure and I immediately looked at KSL, TBS, DesNews and SLTrib to see if anyone else was reporting this same injury. I saw nothing, so I called my son-in-law, Braden's first cousin and asked him if he had heard anything through the family. He hadn't, so I guessed I'd wait unti the next day to see the on-line paper accounts of injuries. My son-in-law though is now concerned and calls his and Branden's grandmother and shocks the snot out of the very senior lady asking if she knew that Braden had a punctured lung. She, very concerned for her grandson's health, calls him and finds out there is no merit to the story.



Of course now I see that the whole thing was a joke on how bad Riley Stephenson was kicking PAT's and was what is called a tongue-in-cheek (TIC)expression. Normal protocol when you make a statement such that someone is actually injured in the public forum and it is a joke, please put at the bottom "TIC" so we don't end up causing the coronary of a very senior grandmother.


Uh, normal protocol is to get the joke. It was so obvious to everyone else that it is even funnier that you didn't get it. Sorry but you are just making yourself look silly here. You remind me of my 19 year old daughter when she doesn't get a joke that everyone else does.



Don't you think that you should have stopped after no major local news source had anything about? If anyone had a punctured lung it would be news. It isn't our fault you caused a "very senior grandmother" to have a coronary. Take your lumps, you blew it, and move on. But thanks for this. It gave me a great laugh this morning.



Or maybe your whole post is TIC and I just don't get it. That would be even funnier. :roll:
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
northerncougar wrote:
Uh, normal protocol is to get the joke. It was so obvious to everyone else that it is even funnier that you didn't get it. Sorry but you are just making yourself look silly here. You remind me of my 19 year old daughter when she doesn't get a joke that everyone else does.


Speak for yourself... I saw it, and I wasn't sure if it were true or not, because I know that kicks had been going low, so a punctured lung--even if extreme--was not out of the realm of possibility. Given how well sarcasm works on the internet, is it a surprise that we have pseudo-HTML tags (<sarcasm> </sarcasm) to help people catch it?
N
northerncougar
Mingjai wrote:
Uh, normal protocol is to get the joke. It was so obvious to everyone else that it is even funnier that you didn't get it. Sorry but you are just making yourself look silly here. You remind me of my 19 year old daughter when she doesn't get a joke that everyone else does.


Speak for yourself... I saw it, and I wasn't sure if it were true or not, because I know that kicks had been going low, so a punctured lung--even if extreme--was not out of the realm of possibility. Given how well sarcasm works on the internet, is it a surprise that we have pseudo-HTML tags (<sarcasm> </sarcasm) to help people catch it?


Okay. I don't think that a punctured lung from a football is even in the realm of possibility. This thread is getting funnier all the time.
G
Guest
Thanks for the good reminder, EM_Puma.
M
Mingjai
northerncougar wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
Uh, normal protocol is to get the joke. It was so obvious to everyone else that it is even funnier that you didn't get it. Sorry but you are just making yourself look silly here. You remind me of my 19 year old daughter when she doesn't get a joke that everyone else does.


Speak for yourself... I saw it, and I wasn't sure if it were true or not, because I know that kicks had been going low, so a punctured lung--even if extreme--was not out of the realm of possibility. Given how well sarcasm works on the internet, is it a surprise that we have pseudo-HTML tags (<sarcasm> </sarcasm) to help people catch it?


Okay. I don't think that a punctured lung from a football is even in the realm of possibility. This thread is getting funnier all the time.


Last I checked, blunt trauma can cause a punctured lung. Taking a football traveling 60-70 mph off the ribs at close range might be enough to do it.
N
northerncougar
Mingjai wrote:
Mingjai wrote:
Uh, normal protocol is to get the joke. It was so obvious to everyone else that it is even funnier that you didn't get it. Sorry but you are just making yourself look silly here. You remind me of my 19 year old daughter when she doesn't get a joke that everyone else does.


Speak for yourself... I saw it, and I wasn't sure if it were true or not, because I know that kicks had been going low, so a punctured lung--even if extreme--was not out of the realm of possibility. Given how well sarcasm works on the internet, is it a surprise that we have pseudo-HTML tags (<sarcasm> </sarcasm) to help people catch it?


Okay. I don't think that a punctured lung from a football is even in the realm of possibility. This thread is getting funnier all the time.


Last I checked, blunt trauma can cause a punctured lung. Taking a football traveling 60-70 mph off the ribs at close range might be enough to do it.


Your right. Anything is possible. (Just so there is no question about my intent, I am openly mocking anyone who didn't get the joke)
Advertisement
P
ProV1
dmcougar wrote:
"Braden Hansen has a punctured lung...

by dmcougar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:33 pm



yep.....he took a football to the back off a Riley Stephensen PAT. :-)"





My bad. Messin with Gma was not my intention. I thought the smiley face was contextual TIC, but the subject line without the kicker could have confused. Point taken.

It appears now that Payne is back on the job, all the O-linemen are sleeping better at nights :-)


Wait, are they really sleeping better or are you kidding? I don't know anymore, does the smiling cougar mean you're joking or mocking me? My best friend's sister's boyfriend knows this guy who saw Braden Hansen at 31 Flavors last night, I'll have to ask him.
C
CougarClaw
This just in has learned that the cougars were practicing with an iron,studded football with razor blades and steel spokes when...



Oh wait, you were serious???



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
runbyu1
I am dying of laughter here...I don't even know who to quote. This thread is about as classic as it comes!
B
BYUby40
CougarClaw wrote:
This just in has learned that the cougars were practicing with an iron,studded football with razor blades and steel spokes when...



Oh wait, you were serious???



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Wait, was Riley kicking into the butts or the backs of the O-line? When you are talking iron,studded football with razor blades and steel spokes it makes a big difference in how the ball reached the lung; with football trajectory and flight path and such...
J
JamieVallen
I am EM Puma's son for those who don't know, but I actually had to inform him yesterday at a family function that I'm pretty sure that it was meant' to be a joke, he didn't take it personal he kind of laughed even after my brother in law informed him about his grandmother and the way she took it. So I kind of thought it was pretty funny, but at the same time I understand that it's really hard to sometimes tell what is and what isn't sarcasm when you're reading type. Cause maybe you had some sort of personal hatred toward Braden and therefore you were glad that he had a punctured lung... thus the smiley face. :whistle: I mean it's like me if something happened to Jason Franchuck, I might throw in a :D
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
BYUby40 wrote:
This just in has learned that the cougars were practicing with an iron,studded football with razor blades and steel spokes when...



Oh wait, you were serious???



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Wait, was Riley kicking into the butts or the backs of the O-line? When you are talking iron,studded football with razor blades and steel spokes it makes a big difference in how the ball reached the lung; with football trajectory and flight path and such...


If Riley was kicking into the butts of the O-line, who is the butt of the joke?
E
EM_Puma
northerncougar wrote:
Last week someone here posts a thread that Braden Hansen has a punctured lung caused by Riley Stephenson's kicking of a PAT. The post sounded strange, but I wasn't sure and I immediately looked at KSL, TBS, DesNews and SLTrib to see if anyone else was reporting this same injury. I saw nothing, so I called my son-in-law, Braden's first cousin and asked him if he had heard anything through the family. He hadn't, so I guessed I'd wait unti the next day to see the on-line paper accounts of injuries. My son-in-law though is now concerned and calls his and Branden's grandmother and shocks the snot out of the very senior lady asking if she knew that Braden had a punctured lung. She, very concerned for her grandson's health, calls him and finds out there is no merit to the story.



Of course now I see that the whole thing was a joke on how bad Riley Stephenson was kicking PAT's and was what is called a tongue-in-cheek (TIC)expression. Normal protocol when you make a statement such that someone is actually injured in the public forum and it is a joke, please put at the bottom "TIC" so we don't end up causing the coronary of a very senior grandmother.


Uh, normal protocol is to get the joke. It was so obvious to everyone else that it is even funnier that you didn't get it. Sorry but you are just making yourself look silly here. You remind me of my 19 year old daughter when she doesn't get a joke that everyone else does.



Don't you think that you should have stopped after no major local news source had anything about? If anyone had a punctured lung it would be news. It isn't our fault you caused a "very senior grandmother" to have a coronary. Take your lumps, you blew it, and move on. But thanks for this. It gave me a great laugh this morning.



Or maybe your whole post is TIC and I just don't get it. That would be even funnier. :roll:


Well then the jokes on me. I'm okay with that, but that's the fundamental problem with written word that you can't hear tonation of voice, etc. to have that help to always know. My son got it that it was a joke when I asked him later and I didn't. I read the post to my son-in-law and he didn't hear the joke in it either and so I'm at least not the only one on the planet.
I
IowaCougar
One problem you haven't addressed is that there are those of us who wouldn't have had a clue as to what "TIC" meant unless it was brought up here. i'm probably showing my age, but I need a dictionary, because all of the shorthand is getting out of control (IMO).
E
EM_Puma
Tweet: "drewjay Jake Heaps: 7 for 7, 62 yards (one tipped pass was caught by OL Braden Brown."



Pretty good for a guy that has a punctured lung! LOL
J
JamieVallen
Yeah I had no idea what TIC meant I took me forever to figure out IMO haha



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.