Archived Topic

Who will be the next deal BYU football comes up with?

by Lawboy · 8/22/2010

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
If BYU goes indy or stays and retain broadcast rights for home games, and then lands that talked about ESPN deal, who do you think will be next to show up in Provo? Considering that ESPN will try to broker some games in order to get certain teams and markets out west on the channel where ESPN has no contracts, I suspect we might see USC, UCLA, Cal or Stanford on the schedule again. From the Big 12, OU or A&M or Missouri. Maybe Oregon or ASU as well. I think ESPN really wants to have some PAC-12 teams on the schedule for western market penetration, and will work to make it happen in Provo. Favorites will be USC, UCLA and ASU, in my book, and OU and Missou from the Big 12.



I think regardless of how it goes down, we end up with home TV rights. Too much possibility to not be firm on that point. It is the deal, to be honest.
J
jonnylingo
I would imagine there will be an emphasis on big 12 teams if byu had their way.
B
BlueBaron
jonnylingo wrote:
I would imagine there will be an emphasis on big 12 teams if byu had their way.


Good point. Having a few Big 12-2 schools on the schedule moving forward may help grease the skids for a membership invitation down the line. Obviously, scheduling a bunch of PAC-10 teams over the years didn't help us get into that conference, but every little bit helps. Plus, if Texas is willing to work with us, hopefully others will follow the example of the Big 12-2 conference leader and schedule games with us too.
L
Lawboy
But I would imagine ESPN putting an emphasis on PAC-12 schools, since it has not TV deal with them or market penetration in the area. Which is why the SoCal schools seem likely, along with the NorCal schools. ESPN wants those teams on, and BYU is an avenue to get it done.
C
Cougs_Rule
Which makes me wonder if ESPN wants the PAC12 market and BYU helps pick that up, if that helps or hinders our value to get into the Big12.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I am hoping we schedule notre dame every year in november. that would make it easier for both schools, its has an intersting story (two private religious schools) that would easily after a while become quite intriguing nationally, and it would provide great exposure no matter how crappy notre dame was at the end of each year. that would be a big deal for us.
B
BigCougsFan
I would love to see a series with Notre Dame again. Or a yearly meeting with them.



That's when we could use Austin Collie's famous talk -- When you do things right on and off the field...



This is where I could us a new Cougar icon. One with a halo above his head. Why don't we have one of those???
S
SpiffCoug
Lawboy wrote:
But I would imagine ESPN putting an emphasis on PAC-12 schools, since it has not TV deal with them or market penetration in the area. Which is why the SoCal schools seem likely, along with the NorCal schools. ESPN wants those teams on, and BYU is an avenue to get it done.


dmcougar wrote:
Which makes me wonder if ESPN wants the PAC12 market and BYU helps pick that up, if that helps or hinders our value to get into the Big12.


Yeah, ESPN is really looking for market penetration into the PAC-12 footprint. Sorry guys, ESPN is pretty well established in EVERY market in the country. I don't think they're looking for more households. While ESPN may help BYU schedule Big 12 teams and PAC12 teams, I don't think getting ESPN to become more visibile in those market is a concern for them.
M
Mars


Utah State

Oregon State

Texas

Hawaii



SJSU?

NMSU?



Utah?

Navy?

Army?

Notre Dame?



Boise State??

Fresno State??

Nevada??

Air Force??

TCU??
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.