Archived Topic

It's Official Now. MWC + C-USA Websites Reporting...

by Italics · 8/20/2010

Advertisement
I
Italics
that their leaders and commissioners have met together, and that the two conferences are under negotiations with one another.



We need to bail out of this conference before it's too late.



The MWC.... plus a few WAC teams... plus a possible C-USA merger?



Yeah, that has potential........ to suck.
L
Lawboy
It is also being reported that Houston is MWC bound, which makes that deal even less likely. Loads of misinformation out there right now is all I know.
C
CannonCougar85
It makes no sense. Why have a deal with C-USA? What have they done to merit a deal with them? I just don't understand this at all.
L
Lawboy
Because most MWC undervalue BYU, but overvalue themselves and teams on equal footing, like MWC teams. Sorry, but their champ would finish 4th of worst in the MWC most years. Hell, AFA pummeled Houston last year, so I do not get this either. At all. Stupid idea by whoever floated it. Just dumb.
S
scott715
Well the championship game should get good ratings and the geographical area covers most of the country. A win could boost the BCS ranking for a shot at the NC (it could). The AQ money would get diluted over 20-24 teams though. On the plus side it would be automatic instead of maybe. That might help recruiting.
Advertisement
B
byutx
I do believe Hair (crazy, huh!?!) when he says this meeting was scheduled a while back. The non-AQ conferences need to do something to brace for my biggest fear: four 16-team superconferences in a separate division than all us non-AQ schools. I'm sure other things were discussed because of all the chaos, but I think this was more of a global-solution meeting than a temporary fix to an overall minor issue (dropping a division is a much bigger deal than conf. realignment or independence)
G
Guest
it is "official" that they met, not that their is any sort of an agreement for a co-conference championship game.
I
Italics
hawkwing wrote:
it is "official" that they met, not that their is any sort of an agreement for a co-conference championship game.


Didn't say it was.
G
Guest
Italics wrote:
it is "official" that they met, not that their is any sort of an agreement for a co-conference championship game.


Didn't say it was.


Didn't say you said it was. Interesting how implication works isn't it?
S
Schmoe
Italics wrote:
it is "official" that they met, not that their is any sort of an agreement for a co-conference championship game.


Didn't say it was.


When you label a thread with "It's official," it usually means something's official, not just that people talked about it.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
It's official! I have posted in this thread!
A
Airwolf
Italics wrote:
that their leaders and commissioners have met together, and that the two conferences are under negotiations with one another.



We need to bail out of this conference before it's too late.



The MWC.... plus a few WAC teams... plus a possible C-USA merger?



Yeah, that has potential........ to suck.

Amen to that... talk about a dog team conference! :lol: As PK of 1320 would put it... 'you'd essentially have a lot of suck dog states all in one hapless conference'! While they're at it, why not contact some D I-AA schools and see if any want to join. :roll:
I
Italics
thankfully, this whole C-USA merger idea/rumor seems to have blown over. I hope.
I
Italics
Schmoe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
it is "official" that they met, not that their is any sort of an agreement for a co-conference championship game.


Didn't say it was.


When you label a thread with "It's official," it usually means something's official, not just that people talked about it.


Prior to the official MWC and C-USA websites announcing, there were several rumors floating around on the internet (imagine that!) that the commissioners were meeting and talking about possible mergers, expansion, collaborations, etc. It then became official that this was indeed the case. Simple as that.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I just had to poke fun after seeing all the articles and threads about it being "official" that BYU was going indy when BYU hasn't said anything. No offense intended.
B
byucougar1
Ya don't say!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bplewe
scott715 wrote:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/440302-a-mountain-west-merger-would-beat-the-bcs-system



Interesting take on previous ideas and this meeting to get AQ in 2012.


An interesting article. I would love to see the soccer-style promotion idea in football. If the big boys won't do it, then why not let the rest of us experiment with such a thing. A 10-12 team "best of the rest" league (BORL), pulled from all (60?) mid-majors, re-evaluated every couple years. Each team would play a mix of teams from their own conference, the BORL, and BCS. The level of play would be about the same as most of the BCS conferences, but without the conceit. This league would have AQ status, with differential money sharing (everyone gets a little, BORL teams get more, bowl teams get most). Any team could actually *earn* their way into (or out of) the big boys. What a strange idea :-)



It's fun to dream!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.