Archived Topic

The MWC invited 3 WAC teams Yesterday!!!

by CannonCougar85 · 8/19/2010

Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
This to me proves that the MWC was in panic mode yesterday. They were falling off of a cliff and were just grasping for whatever they could hold onto. I means seriously, Utah State?
A
ABYUFAN
This fact is very powerful to me. I'm of the opinion that USU was on the phone with BYU about the goings on,a nd that BYU said if you stay in the WAC we'll treat you right. And I think us "treating them right" means the MWC days are over even with the defections
T
tripwire
[quote] We were simply committed to uphold our agreement with fellow WAC members. We respectfully declined MWC interest and believed all WAC members would remain committed to our agreement.[quote/]

Translation. We decided to honor the agreements we made. And assumed everyone else would do the same.

They have got to be royally pissed at Fresno and Nevada right now.
C
CougarClaw
My respect for USU grew considerably after reading this.



I sincerely hope their honor in sticking to the agreement doesn't place them bear-hugging fellow WAC members on their way down a rapidly sinking ship.
Advertisement
T
tripwire
CougarClaw wrote:
You do what's best for your team. We all get that.



That does NOT include promising your peers you'll stay put and then leaving 24 hours later.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with leaving if it's a better deal for you. But the way they did it is pretty sleazy.
C
CougarClaw
tripwire wrote:
You do what's best for your team. We all get that.



That does NOT include promising your peers you'll stay put and then leaving 24 hours later.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with leaving if it's a better deal for you. But the way they did it is pretty sleazy.


edited my post cause I wanted a new thread. It's time to bash the sleaziness.
D
dank80
Doesn't it just mean USU doesn't have the cash to buy their way out of their WAC agreement? I thought I heard it was like $4-5 M but maybe I heard wrong.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CannonCougar85
Think about if this would have gone through and Utah State accepted the invite. Hair said last night that they were looking for teams that better the conference and bring them closer to AQ status. Utah State would be a huge step in the Opposite Direction!!



Another Reason why Craig Thompson should be fired!
C
Cougarbib
Hair probably tried to grab the 3 WAC teams that best increased the chances that BYU would stay in the MWC. FSU, and UNR, because they are the strongest remaining WAC teams, also perhaps helping keep BSU, SDSU, and UNLV in the MWC as former or desired rivals, and USU to make BYU feel guilty, sap the best basketball school from the WAC leaving even less there for BYU to mesh with, and playing on the BYU / USU sympathy factor and historical loyalty, and making sure the MWC would have some presence in Utah tv market even if BYU did still bail.



When you keep in mind what little the MWC has to work with / offer - Hair did about all a Hair could do. let's not split Hairs over it.



Bib
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
CannonCougar85 wrote:
This to me proves that the MWC was in panic mode yesterday. They were falling off of a cliff and were just grasping for whatever they could hold onto. I means seriously, Utah State?


They knew that USU was BYU's partner in this, and they also knew that BYU cared more about the WAC b-ball than F-ball...so really, was USU any LESS logical than effing RENO (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)
S
scott715
I favor scheduling a second basketball game with USU next year and thereafter as a reward for standards.
S
StatsCougar
scott715 wrote:
I favor scheduling a second basketball game with USU next year and thereafter as a reward for standards.


Seconded. I would also like a long term football contract (if they stay 1-A) as well. USU should be rewarded by BYU. On another note, they probably will be the best team in the WAC in two years.
S
Schmoe
The bad news is that there probably won't be a WAC in two years.
C
CannonCougar85
33311710 wrote:
This to me proves that the MWC was in panic mode yesterday. They were falling off of a cliff and were just grasping for whatever they could hold onto. I means seriously, Utah State?


They knew that USU was BYU's partner in this, and they also knew that BYU cared more about the WAC b-ball than F-ball...so really, was USU any LESS logical than effing RENO (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)


Craig Thompson says that the goals for the conference are to gain quality teams that help the MWC get closer to AQ status in football. Does USU fit this criteria? (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)



Besides my original point was that, despite what Craig Thompson says, all of these invites were to foil BYU's plans. Not to improve the MWC as he claims because it clearly doesn't.



So I'm not disagreeing with you in the least because as you said USU does fit in with the Screw BYU Scenario.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.