Archived Topic

Expand the Stadium

by jamesH · 8/19/2010

Advertisement
J
jamesH
Assuming the rumors are true - BYU goes Indy and starts accomulating all this new revenue I have a suggestion for BYU - EXPAND THE STADIUM to 80,000 seats! If BYU wants to play with the big boys lets provide a big boys stadium. I don't think BYU would have any problem filling 80,000 seats. We don't need the Ohio State or Michigan size stadiums (100,000 +), but 80,000 is perfect for BCS needs.



What do you think?
Y
Y 4 Ever
I think that is a good idea down the road, but for now, 64000 is fine. We don't sell out every game as it is. With 80,000, we'd only sell out the really big games. Oh, and Utah. Need to keep growing the fan base. And we also need to see what that Indy schedule would look like. If its full of San Jose St's and Louisiana Techs, then its pointless to expand to 80,000 seats. But if its full of notre dames, texas techs, etc, etc, etc, then why not.
M
Mars
33311710 wrote:
I think that is a good idea down the road, but for now, 64000 is fine. We don't sell out every game as it is.

Name the date and opponent of the last game BYU didn't sell out.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Mars wrote:
I think that is a good idea down the road, but for now, 64000 is fine. We don't sell out every game as it is.

Name the date and opponent of the last game BYU didn't sell out.


Just did some quick research - looks like we've sold out for 18 straight games (3 years and running), and that that's the longest streak since Detmer was QB. But if I remember correctly, Holmoe said something about stadium expansion NOT being on the record until we had sold out for DECADES.



Also, that was based on having an average attendance in 2007, 2008, and 2009 that exceeded the stadiums stated capacity. But that doesn't necessarily mean that every game was a sell out. I can remember games recently where the corners of the stadium weren't full.
W
Wickchad
Mars wrote:
I think that is a good idea down the road, but for now, 64000 is fine. We don't sell out every game as it is.

Name the date and opponent of the last game BYU didn't sell out.


We stopped filling the stands during Crowton's tenure. Whether BYU gave away the remaining tickets to the local wards before kick off or not and called it a sell-out, you could see the empty seats. If we are independent and start losing there will be empty seats with 65,000. That's just the way it is. Most BCS conferences have average stadium sizes around 60,000 so I don't see what adding more does for us unless we are guaranteed to fill the seats every game regardless of the opponent.
Advertisement
M
Mars
33311710 wrote:
looks like we've sold out for 18 straight games (3 years and running)... that was based on having an average attendance in 2007, 2008, and 2009 that exceeded the stadiums stated capacity. But that doesn't necessarily mean that every game was a sell out. I can remember games recently where the corners of the stadium weren't full.

EVERY one of those 18 games was an announced sell-out. Meaning they sold 64,000+ tickets. If it rained and 62,000 showed up, BYU counted the money the same and didn't pretend to notice a difference.



I think 70,000 is very reasonable currently. Tear out some bleachers, add wide seats, and start to fill in the corners in some feasible way.
M
Mars
Wickchad84087 wrote:
We stopped filling the stands during Crowton's tenure. Whether BYU gave away the remaining tickets to the local wards before kick off or not and called it a sell-out, you could see the empty seats.

BYU never gave away tickets, not even during Crowton. Hogi-Yogi 2-for-1 deals were widely available and popular though.



Of course, Crowton isn't the coach anymore, and that's clearly not a problem currently.



Demand would only go up for a home schedule lacking Wyoming/CSU/SDSU/UNLV/UNM, and including Navy, Notre Dame, Hawaii, Boise State, and Army.
T
tmoney35
33311710 wrote:
But if I remember correctly, Holmoe said something about stadium expansion NOT being on the record until we had sold out for DECADES.


I remember reading this somewhere too.



If we can pack the stadium against Northern Iowa (it was the first game of the season, but still), than I think we could fill 80,000 more often than not. Now's not the time though with all the uncertainty with conference realignment and independence and scheduling. Once all that settles down and we're still selling out every home game a fews years from now, we should expand the stadium.
Y
Y 4 Ever
tmoney35 wrote:
But if I remember correctly, Holmoe said something about stadium expansion NOT being on the record until we had sold out for DECADES.


I remember reading this somewhere too.



If we can pack the stadium against Northern Iowa (it was the first game of the season, but still), than I think we could fill 80,000 more often than not. Now's not the time though with all the uncertainty with conference realignment and independence and scheduling. Once all that settles down and we're still selling out every home game a fews years from now, we should expand the stadium.


I disagree, especially if 4 home games a year are on ESPN, and even MORE especially if four of those home games are against WAC/Sunbelt teams.



I'd rather have a 64,000 seat stadium that we sell out most games than an 80,000 seat stadium with 8K - 10K empty seats on half of the games.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Mars wrote:
looks like we've sold out for 18 straight games (3 years and running)... that was based on having an average attendance in 2007, 2008, and 2009 that exceeded the stadiums stated capacity. But that doesn't necessarily mean that every game was a sell out. I can remember games recently where the corners of the stadium weren't full.

EVERY one of those 18 games was an announced sell-out. Meaning they sold 64,000+ tickets. If it rained and 62,000 showed up, BYU counted the money the same and didn't pretend to notice a difference.



I think 70,000 is very reasonable currently. Tear out some bleachers, add wide seats, and start to fill in the corners in some feasible way.


I could get on board with 70,000 right now...but not 80,000. Maybe fill in two corners, and then down the road look at filling in the other two.



And while we're at it, lets add some luxury suites! Double decker should do it.
Advertisement
M
Mars
33311710 wrote:
I disagree, especially if 4 home games a year are on ESPN, and even MORE especially if four of those home games are against WAC/Sunbelt teams.

The 4 teams in particular were: Utah State, Hawaii, Fresno State, Nevada.



Which one of those schools couldn't BYU sell out a 70,000 seat stadium against?
W
Wickchad
Mars wrote:
We stopped filling the stands during Crowton's tenure. Whether BYU gave away the remaining tickets to the local wards before kick off or not and called it a sell-out, you could see the empty seats.

BYU never gave away tickets, not even during Crowton. Hogi-Yogi 2-for-1 deals were widely available and popular though.



Of course, Crowton isn't the coach anymore, and that's clearly not a problem currently.



Demand would only go up for a home schedule lacking Wyoming/CSU/SDSU/UNLV/UNM, and including Navy, Notre Dame, Hawaii, Boise State, and Army.


I'll be there even if the home schedule includes Utah State, Weber State, Southern Utah, San Jose State, Wyoming, and New Mexico. As long as BYU is playing, I'm watching. The question is what do the blue hair cougar club members do...
Y
Y 4 Ever
Mars wrote:
I disagree, especially if 4 home games a year are on ESPN, and even MORE especially if four of those home games are against WAC/Sunbelt teams.

The 4 teams in particular were: Utah State, Hawaii, Fresno State, Nevada.



Which one of those schools couldn't BYU sell out a 70,000 seat stadium against?


We were talking an 80,000 seat stadium. And I think that a sell-out of 70,000 against Hawaii and Nevada would be questionable. Utah St and Fresno? Who knows.
M
Mingjai
I think the best expansion would be to 75,000 seats with a lot more luxury options. Expanding from 75,000 would put BYU in a similar situation mid-tier Big 10 teams--Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, Illinois--in terms of stadium size, making it an attractive place to play. BYU would be able to offer more to visiting teams in terms of revenue sharing.



But I think the key is in luxury boxes and other upscale offerings, because that's where the revenue is in current sports attendance. I think BYU has the alumni base to support additional $$$$ seating.
M
Mars
33311710 wrote:
We were talking an 80,000 seat stadium. And I think that a sell-out of 70,000 against Hawaii and Nevada would be questionable. Utah St and Fresno? Who knows.

I agree that 80,000 is simply TOO big right now.

Disagree that any of those 4 don't easily sell out.



Washington wasn't bowl eligible last year, and tickets to that game sold out in less than 24 hours. BYU didn't go undefeated last year, didn't win the MWC, didn't win all our home games, didn't bust the BCS. And 2010 is universally expected to be worse. And yet those tickets were gone in the blink of an eye, far in advance of game day.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I'd even be ok with doing something like TCU is doing. Updating the stadium. It's basically 30 years old. I'd support taking out 5-10k seats but adding a bunch of luxury boxes. Taking out the bleachers and adding actual seats. Give everyone more leg room. Make it a better viewing experience. It wouldn't have to be done at once. You could do one section each off-season and in four years have a brand new stadium that while it would have a reduced capacity, it would have increased revenue.
T
tmoney35
Mingjai wrote:
But I think the key is in luxury boxes and other upscale offerings, because that's where the revenue is in current sports attendance. I think BYU has the alumni base to support additional $$$$ seating.


and there are plenty of wealthy people living up on the bench in the Provo area that would love to add luxury box season tickets to their large house, escalade, trohpy wife etc.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Mars wrote:
We were talking an 80,000 seat stadium. And I think that a sell-out of 70,000 against Hawaii and Nevada would be questionable. Utah St and Fresno? Who knows.

I agree that 80,000 is simply TOO big right now.

Disagree that any of those 4 don't easily sell out.



Washington wasn't bowl eligible last year, and tickets to that game sold out in less than 24 hours. BYU didn't go undefeated last year, didn't win the MWC, didn't win all our home games, didn't bust the BCS. And 2010 is universally expected to be worse. And yet those tickets were gone in the blink of an eye, far in advance of game day.


Yes, but also remember that UW is also a Pac school, and is the ONLY decent home game on the schedule this year.



lets see how the stands fill up for Nevada, SDSU, UNLV, and Wyoming. I'm not saying they will be empty, but don't be surprised to see some spare seats in the corners.
I
IndiCoug
Speaking as someone with some knowledge of the situation ;)

"When" we expand look for it to be into the 80 to 85k, look for reduced numbers of bench seat (upgraded chairs), an upper deck on the east side, luxery boxes, and at least 2 corners filled in. There will also be major renovation under the beachers and consession area's. Depending on boaster and donations we might also see Shade Sails (ala Rio Tinto Stadium -- white with big block Y's in the middle) for shade and wind/rain protection. Another major improvement has also been discussed but it is a pipe dream unless a handfull of MAJOR doners get involved.

No timetables have been discussed at this point only what they would like to do when the time comes. I believe from what has been discuss, it will be constructed in phases, east side one year, south side another, west side another, total three year project.

Personally, I think Indi status brings up the date of stadium expansion. :whistle:
F
frdbtr
Didn't I read that BYU already has better attendance the all but a couple pac 10 schools and all but about 4 Big 12 schools? Why would we need to expand our stadium to appear "big time" to these conferences. BYU already is. No need to expand.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.