Archived Topic

Random questions

by QuarterbackU · 8/18/2010

Advertisement
Q
QuarterbackU
#1: has anyone heard if Collie is battling it out for the slot position with Gonzalez this year in Colts camp? Or has Collie locked that spot down? I would think that Gonzalez would have a very difficult time coming in and beating Collie out, having sat out an entire year with a knee injury.



#2: I was day dreaming about the Cougs today and realized that if Oniel Chambers is returning punts for us again this year I hope and pray he figures out how to fair catch. His crazy shananagins seemed to work out last year for the most part but does anyone know if this has been addressed? I believe the long return in the U game was a Punt Return and for that I praise him but it's just too much drama for me game in and game out.
K
kiwibacon
Random answers...

1-65%

2-False, only works with photosynthesis.















Sorry, could not resist. :P
C
CannonCougar85
QuarterbackU wrote:
#1: has anyone heard if Collie is battling it out for the slot position with Gonzalez this year in Colts camp? Or has Collie locked that spot down? I would think that Gonzalez would have a very difficult time coming in and beating Collie out, having sat out an entire year with a knee injury.


Here's how it went down with my team at the receiver position: The Colts had Harrison and Wayne as the outside receivers and Gonzalez in the slot. Harrison was not resigned and Gonzalez was then moved into Harrison's position. So the Colts were in need of a slot receiver and that is why they drafted Collie.



Collie had the slot position locked down even before Gonzalez went down with the knee injury. They play different positions now.
Q
QuarterbackU
Thanks Kiwi, those are very random! Cannon, I thought Pierre Garcon pretty much had the outside opposite of Wayne locked down and now gonzo was competing for slot time? NO? I don't think they can bench Garcon for Gonzo that is just silly...



I'm going to trust you because of your Colts logo, but that's the only reason.
S
Schmoe
Collie was the Colts' second leading receiver in their first preseason game: 2 catches for 28 yards. Don't know if that means diddly, but good to see.
Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
QuarterbackU wrote:
Thanks Kiwi, those are very random! Cannon, I thought Pierre Garcon pretty much had the outside opposite of Wayne locked down and now gonzo was competing for slot time? NO? I don't think they can bench Garcon for Gonzo that is just silly...



I'm going to trust you because of your Colts logo, but that's the only reason.


It is definitely a question that I am wondering myself. Why can't you play Gonzo over Garcon? Gonzo had more catches in 2008 then Garcon did last year. (Collie had more catches last year then both of them). And Collie did get some reps as an outside receiver in their first pre-season game. It's a tough call because you can't really determine why one WR should start over the other because they are all so good. What I expect is to see some sort of 4 WR rotation going on with the Colts this year. I also expect Gonzo to be somewhat limited in the first of the season due to him returning from injury.
Q
QuarterbackU
CannonCougar85 wrote:
Thanks Kiwi, those are very random! Cannon, I thought Pierre Garcon pretty much had the outside opposite of Wayne locked down and now gonzo was competing for slot time? NO? I don't think they can bench Garcon for Gonzo that is just silly...



I'm going to trust you because of your Colts logo, but that's the only reason.


It is definitely a question that I am wondering myself. Why can't you play Gonzo over Garcon? Gonzo had more catches in 2008 then Garcon did last year. (Collie had more catches last year then both of them). And Collie did get some reps as an outside receiver in their first pre-season game. It's a tough call because you can't really determine why one WR should start over the other because they are all so good. What I expect is to see some sort of 4 WR rotation going on with the Colts this year. I also expect Gonzo to be somewhat limited in the first of the season due to him returning from injury.


I guess the biggest reason for Garcon (the beastly frenchman) over Gonzo would be because last year I noticed the coaching staff really seemed to like Garcon's size in bubble screens & quick slants and would often run the ball to his side on running plays and screens for his down field blocking. As they say on NCAA football video game, Garcon is a rare combination of power and speed. Gonzo seems more like a possession WR and I'm not sure Gonzo can be a deep threat like Garcon can, especially with the bumb knee. That's good news on Collie's in the first preseason game.



Disclaimer: I became a colts fan when Collie was signed and didn't watch Gonzo super close in his first year. Just know he had a solid year.
C
CannonCougar85
QuarterbackU wrote:

I guess the biggest reason for Garcon (the beastly frenchman) over Gonzo would be because last year I noticed the coaching staff really seemed to like Garcon's size in bubble screens & quick slants and would often run the ball to his side on running plays and screens for his down field blocking. As they say on NCAA football video game, Garcon is a rare combination of power and speed. Gonzo seems more like a possession WR and I'm not sure Gonzo can be a deep threat like Garcon can, especially with the bumb knee. That's good news on Collie's in the first preseason game.



Disclaimer: I became a colts fan when Collie was signed and didn't watch Gonzo super close in his first year. Just know he had a solid year.


Welcome aboard the COLTS TEAM!!! I became a Colts fan when I was a little kid because they were the only NFL team that looks like BYU!! :D Not a joke.



Yeah and as Herbstreet says in that game Garcon runs "with such fluidity and quickness" that he is better on the deep ball then Gonzo. But as far as the screens and slants go I think it's a wash. Both of them have size enough to do that. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. 4 awesome receivers trying for playing time is definitely a good predicament to be in though.



More good news on Collie is that Manning really likes Collie. Collie has shown Manning that they share the same desire and work ethic on and off the field. Manning runs that organization and Collie is in Indy because Manning wanted him there.
C
CougarClaw
Huh. Everything I've read has said one of three things: 1) Collie was amazing last year and is one of a very strong caste of receivers at the COlts. 2) Gonzo won't push Garcon for his spot, but will likely battle Collie for his. 3) Gonzo is probably faster and taller than Collie.



If all of those are true, I would look for the Colts to cash in on Collie rather than make him ride pine. There are just too many good receivers on the team and Collie has SuperBowl experience.
K
KYCoug
I don't know that it means anything but I was at Lucas Oil Stadium for a Drum and Bugle Corp competition with my son last weekend and we went to the Colt's store there. It was neat to see Collie's jersy on the walls. There is only enough room on the walls for maybe 10 different jersy's so they must have the hottest sellers on the walls. I would have bought one but the sticker shock ($85) was more than I was expecting. Guess I better save up for that one.



Go Collie,

Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
Advertisement
Q
QuarterbackU
More importantly though, how did the Drum and Bugle Corp competition go? :)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.