Archived Topic

Summary of all football threads in last two weeks

by CougarClaw · 8/15/2010

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
i've had the unfortunate experience to read all of the qb update threads over the last two weeks and outside of the very helpful stats, the argument almost always breaks down the same. It's the same thread each time. thought I'd summarize and save anyone else the trouble.



Kitic: Heaps threw 17/18, Nelson threw 19/20. Nelson should start

everyone else: you're a Nelson-lover!

Kitic: am not

everyone else: are too!

Kitic: CLEARLY I'm not, y'all are Heaps-man crushers

everyone else: we are not

Kitic:
are too!

everyone else: Just because Heaps is the chosen one doesn't mean we have man crushes!

Kitic: um...yes it does.

everyone else: no it doesn't. you're just bitter cause Heaps is a better qb

Kitic: look at the numbers. I've been unbiased.

everyone else: you didn't break them out right, besides, we don't like your tone of voice.

Kitic: tone of voice! I'm typing. what tone would you prefer

everyone else: LIAR!

Kitic: am not.

everyone else: lying again! besides we just want byu to win with whichever qb- as long as its Heaps

Kitic: I like Heaps now but I've always been open to change.

everyone else: but Nelson threw interceptions!

Kitic that's why I like heaps.

everyone else: but nelson fumbled!

Kitic: I saw Heaps in person and he was better

everyone else: How can you say that when Heaps' throws were the definition of spiral-acity.

Kitic: is this thing on? I like heaps now.

everyone else: oh.
S
SpiffCoug
Pretty funny. But I don't think it was me against everyone else and I think "everyone else" was just as antagonistic towards me as you portrayed me to be.
C
CannonCougar85
Put Claw in the Kitic Camp!! :lol:



Seriously though everybody needs to take a step back and have faith that the coaches know what they're doing. Does anybody really think that with Heaps we will go 13-0? Does anybody really think that with Nelson we'll go 0-12? or vise-versa? The only thing I have found out about each QB is that they can both move the ball. Different methods of doing so but they both move the ball.



Have faith Cougar Nation, BYU will be just fine.
S
SpiffCoug
kitic77 wrote:
Pretty funny. But I don't think it was me against everyone else and I think "everyone else" was just as antagonistic towards me as you portrayed me to be.

Here’s my first post where I mention Heaps:


kitic77 wrote:
» Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:53 am

Here's what I see: The battle will be between Nelson and Heaps during spring ball. I think Bronco will name a starter coming out of spring. This will allow the team to rally around one QB all summer and let the team know who the "man" is.



If Riley Nelson is not clearly better than Heaps following spring ball I think you have you to name Heaps the starter. You go with the younger guy who also has more upside. You look at your schedule and ask yourself if there are any games that you wouldn't win even if you have a more experienced QB (i.e. at TCU, I don't think a more experienced QB will matter).



If Nelson is better then I also fully expect Heaps to develop the desire to serve a mission or at the least to red shirt - allowing Munns and/or Lark to fight for the backup job in fall camp. This would allow Heaps to learn for two years and then compete for the starting job as an RS SO and play for three years.


“I’m not sure what happened between 11 Nov and 9 Dec to make me change my mind. It might have been uncle who was yelling for the coaches to bench Max and put Riley in and who is now a Heaps homer. I really can’t remember why my opinion changed.


kitic77 wrote:
» Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:12 am

So the last time BYU won by a TD at home, Jake Heaps who could likely be our starting QB next year as a freshman was about a year old.


Here's a quote from me from last Dec. Seems about what I've been saying the entire time:


kitic77 wrote:
» Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Heaps can scramble. But so could Detmer. Nelson can run, much like Young. Both were very effective in essentially the same offense. I don't think the QB next year will make a difference in wins and losses. I think we win the same number of games with either QB. Because of that, I'd like to see Riley start. I think that would allow Heaps more time to develop and be that much better when he takes over as a RS SO and have three years to start.


kitic77 wrote:
» Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:30 pm



Personally, I think Heaps is a spectacular talent. I just really think he would do well to redshirt, develop and learn for a few seasons of seasoning. Very few all-time greats at QB started as true freshman. BYU, in fact, has NEVER had a true freshman QB enjoy any real success. I don't think Heaps is going to be the difference between winning and losing certain games next year.



I don't get people who want to throw Heaps to the wolves. I don't see how people think he won't struggle. BYU is going to be a lot like Utah was this year. The QB position is going to be next to irrelevant. It won't make the difference in the games that matter most. So why not go with the guy with more experience while the guy with more upside has a little more time to develop and fully reach his potential.


In a thread entitled: Re: Jake Heaps is 1st Team Parade HS All-America


kitic77 wrote:
» Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:24 am

Italics wrote:We're idiots if we don't start this kid day 1.



No, we're idiots if we don't start the best QB on this team. If he shows that he's the best QB on the team, then yes we're idiots if we don't start him. We are idiots if we declare him the starter before the competition has even begun.


And here’s my vote in a poll just five days into spring ball:


kitic77 wrote:
» Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:17 pm

I voted for Heaps because thus far Nelson has not done much, if anything, to separate himself from Heaps. I fully believe BYU coaches would love to start Nelson which would allow them to RS Heaps. An RS will allow Heaps to further mature and develop physically while he learns over the next two years and runs the scout team. But I said months ago that if Riley wants to be the starter he has to be head and shoulders better. He has to give coaches a reason not to go with the younger kid with more upside. The longer there is no separation the more coaches will begin to lean towards Heaps. Just my opinion. I still would like Heaps to RS as I think it would be better both for his career and BYU's future.


I think I've been pretty consistent, have never ripped Jake nor his play, talent or production. I think I've always been open minded about the situation and always left the door open to change my mind.
I
Italics
psh.... Nelson homers.
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
Italics wrote:
psh.... Nelson homers.


Heaps-ites. ;)
S
SpiffCoug
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
psh.... Nelson homers.


Heaps-ites. ;)


Blind Sheaps? :crazy: 8) :love:
K
kiwibacon
This thread is classic. :lol: Thanks Claw, CAFB, Italics, and Kitic.
C
Cougs_Rule
kitic77 wrote:
Italics wrote:
psh.... Nelson homers.


Heaps-ites. ;)


Blind Sheaps? :crazy: 8) :love:


Fricken Nel-do-wells....all wRiled-up :-)
B
blue42
kitic77 wrote:

“I’m not sure what happened between 11 Nov and 9 Dec to make me change my mind. I really can’t remember why my opinion changed.


» Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:24 am

Italics wrote:We're idiots if we don't start this kid day 1.



No, we're idiots if we don't start the best QB on this team. If he shows that he's the best QB on the team, then yes we're idiots if we don't start him. We are idiots if we declare him the starter before the competition has even begun.





I do..... it was Sun Jan 24, 2010, not sure if it was because of the message or not. :D
Advertisement
B
blue42
CougarClaw wrote:

everyone else: lying again! besides we just want byu to win with whichever qb- as long as its Heaps.


Classsic +1
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.