Archived Topic

BYU's Independent Schedule

by Mars · 8/4/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


Examples:



Thu. Montana (EPSN2)

Nevada (ESPN2)

@Hawaii (ESPN2)

Thu. Fresno State (ESPN)

vs. Texas (ESPN)

Fri. Utah State (ESPN2)

Boise State (ESPN)

@TCU (Versus)

Navy (ESPN)

@Air Force (CBS-CS)

Fri. Army (ESPN)

@Notre Dame (CBS)

Utah (ESPN)

*BCS/Las Vegas/Poinsettia Bowl





UC-Davis (BYU-TV)

Hawaii (ESPN2)

Washington State (ESPN)

Thu. Missouri (ESPN)

@Boise State (Versus)

Fri. @Utah State (ESPN2)

TCU (ESPN)

@Navy (ESPN)

Air Force (ESPN)

Thu. @Army (ESPN)

Notre Dame (ESPN)

@Utah (EPSN)

*BCS/Las Vegas/Poinsettia Bowl
A
allcoug
Mars wrote:


Examples:



Thu. Montana (EPSN2)

Nevada (ESPN2)

@Hawaii (ESPN2)

Thu. Fresno State (ESPN)

vs. Texas (ESPN)

Fri. Utah State (ESPN2)

Boise State (ESPN)

@TCU (Versus)

Navy (ESPN)

@Air Force (CBS-CS)

Fri. Army (ESPN)

@Notre Dame (CBS)

Utah (ESPN)

*BCS/Las Vegas/Poinsettia Bowl





UC-Davis (BYU-TV)

Hawaii (ESPN2)

Washington State (ESPN)

Thu. Missouri (ESPN)

@Boise State (Versus)

Fri. @Utah State (ESPN2)

TCU (ESPN)

@Navy (ESPN)

Air Force (ESPN)

Thu. @Army (ESPN)

Notre Dame (ESPN)

@Utah (EPSN)

*BCS/Las Vegas/Poinsettia Bowl


I just posted my own example on the other thread...these schedules would be sweet. And I see no reason why these can't be a reality. There is no doubt that the idea of going independent on the table - and I would speculate that Holmoe already has a good idea of how the scheduling would work out. He's been talking to AD's for years now and my guess is that we would already be playing more good non-conference teams during the normal conference season if we weren't committed to playing MWC games.
I
Italics
anyone who says "BYU's schedule would suck" is being a dolt.



"It would basically be around 3 good teams, and the rest would suck." And how is this any different from BYU's schedule now?
M
Mars
Italics wrote:
anyone who says "BYU's schedule would suck" is being a dolt. It would basically be around 3 good teams, and the rest would suck." And how is this any different from BYU's schedule now?

No Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, SDSU, or UNLV? Sounds fine by me.
S
scott715
I think the good non-BCS teams would want a game. We could play Houston, SMU, Navy, Fresno St, Nevada every year. Those 4 plus the Big 3 and a few BCS teams and we have a schedule. I like the idea of playing at Hawaii each year and adding another home game.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Just read that SMU did not let 2 recruits in due to academics. That they were pushing the standard higher than everyone else. The big deal part is that June Jones is not signing his extension contract. This could mess up their rising program.
C
CougarClaw
scott715 wrote:
I like the idea of playing at Hawaii each year and adding another home game.


I disagree. I think Hawaii should come to Provo every once in a while.. ;)



If I remember correctly, the last time we played them was when they ruined our perfect season in an injury disaster game for BYU. We lost Doman, Staley...everyone in that game.



I remember someone saying BYU would never go back to play there because the field was dangerous. Anyone else remember that? If so, Any reason to think that's changed since then?
T
tmoney35
Italics wrote:
"It would basically be around 3 good teams, and the rest would suck." And how is this any different from BYU's schedule now?


It would be nice to have a change of scenery from UNLV, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado St. etc.


CougarClaw wrote:
I remember someone saying BYU would never go back to play there because the field was dangerous.


While we're on the subject of dangerous fields, has anyone heard whether or not they fixed the grass in LES?
F
Florwood
tmoney35 wrote:
While we're on the subject of dangerous fields, has anyone heard whether or not they fixed the grass in LES?


I've heard they determined that the problem was to do with something in the water, they've corrected it, and it's "90% better" now.



I wonder if this is the same thing in the water that promotes fertility in BYU marrieds?
1
1967cougar
CougarClaw wrote:
I like the idea of playing at Hawaii each year and adding another home game.


I disagree. I think Hawaii should come to Provo every once in a while.. ;)



If I remember correctly, the last time we played them was when they ruined our perfect season in an injury disaster game for BYU. We lost Doman, Staley...everyone in that game.



I remember someone saying BYU would never go back to play there because the field was dangerous. Anyone else remember that? If so, Any reason to think that's changed since then?

I distinctly remember that - and a ton of others like it. When you play at Hawaii, football or basketball, you not only play against the players in the team's uniforms, you also play against the guys wearing the striped shirts. They make Pac-10 refs look like saints. I don't think we should ever go to Hawaii to play them.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
If we go independent, how many schools would we need to have long term deals with because we don't want to be scheduling 12 new games every year or every two years if we do two-game series? Which schools would those be? Look at Notre Dame's schedule and they're constantly playing the same teams every year.



http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/notredame_future.htm



Notre Dame, BTW, is close to adding a four-game serious with Texas.



I think that we would need at least 4 long term deals (Utah, Utah St., TCU, Boise St.), but not more than 6 or 7 because we don't want to be locked into a bad deal.



Wouldn't it be fun though to be an AD of an independed school? A lot of power...and pressure.
M
Mars
byufan4ever wrote:
I think that we would need at least 4 long term deals (Utah, Utah St., TCU, Boise St.), but not more than 6 or 7 because we don't want to be locked into a bad deal.

I would imagine long-term home-and-homes with:

Hawaii, Boise State, TCU, Navy, Air Force, Army, Utah.

2-and-1s against USU. 1-and-2s against Notre Dame, if that's what it takes.

A home opener against a different semi-local or highly-rated I-AA team every year.



That leaves 2-3 games a year for top-end non-BCS teams like Fresno State, Nevada, Houston, UTEP, and SMU, for the occasional location game like UNLV or SDSU, and for any BCS team we could get (primarily from the Big XII, like Texas, Baylor, or Missouri, secondary from the PAC-12, like Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA).



I would imagine us playing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games (including early morning Saturdays if we could get on CBS somehow), but very, very rarely (if ever) and other day of the week. Mainly on ESPN2 and ESPN (though sometimes BYU-TV, ESPNU, ESPN360), and CBS-CS/Versus against MWC teams, CBS at Notre Dame.
I
Italics
Mars wrote:
I think that we would need at least 4 long term deals (Utah, Utah St., TCU, Boise St.), but not more than 6 or 7 because we don't want to be locked into a bad deal.

I would imagine long-term home-and-homes with:

Hawaii, Boise State, TCU, Navy, Air Force, Army, Utah.

2-and-1s against USU. 1-and-2s against Notre Dame, if that's what it takes.

A home opener against a different semi-local or highly-rated I-AA team every year.



That leaves 2-3 games a year for top-end non-BCS teams like Fresno State, Nevada, Houston, UTEP, and SMU, for the occasional location game like UNLV or SDSU, and for any BCS team we could get (primarily from the Big XII, like Texas, Baylor, or Missouri, secondary from the PAC-12, like Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA).



I would imagine us playing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games (including early morning Saturdays if we could get on CBS somehow), but very, very rarely (if ever) and other day of the week. Mainly on ESPN2 and ESPN (though sometimes BYU-TV, ESPNU, ESPN360), and CBS-CS/Versus against MWC teams, CBS at Notre Dame.


This is about how I've imagined it.



I don't want to say such a schedule would be "easy" (because heaven knows the hell it would still be to schedule), but this certainly wouldn't be impossible for BYU. We have a great relationship with many of those schools.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.