Archived Topic

Beck traded to Redskins

by jonnylingo · 8/2/2010

Advertisement
Y
Y12
I guess I can finally join the "Donovan should retire" camp. I have loved him for years, but I would much rather see Beck get another shot in the NFL.
T
tmoney35
I really hope Beck gets another chance to start sometime, even if it not for a couple years until McNabb retires.



The couple of games he started in Miami were a death trap
M
MTM
tmoney35 wrote:
I really hope Beck gets another chance to start sometime, even if it not for a couple years until McNabb retires.



The couple of games he started in Miami were a death trap


Yeah, see Alex Smith's career.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
CougarClaw wrote:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/redskins-acquire-qb-beck-from.html



looks like he's QB number 5 on the Redskins roster.



McNabb, Grossman, Richard Bartel and get this: Colt Brennan.



Interesting that they have four QBs on the roster and trade for a fifth. Doesn't speak highly of their current back up squad.


I would be worried about simply making the team at this point if I were Beck. Hope he does.
C
CougarClaw
jonnylingo wrote:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/redskins-acquire-qb-beck-from.html



looks like he's QB number 5 on the Redskins roster.



McNabb, Grossman, Richard Bartel and get this: Colt Brennan.



Interesting that they have four QBs on the roster and trade for a fifth. Doesn't speak highly of their current back up squad.


I would be worried about simply making the team at this point if I were Beck. Hope he does.


I suppose that's always a concern, but I just don't see a team trading for a player that won't make the team. If they really thought they had four viable QB's or even three for that matter, I wouldn't be trading away defensive players (at least not ones other teams would want!) for fifth QB.
Y
Y12
Colt Brennan is out



http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/message.html?id=5741080



I think Beck might have been the one to initiate this trade. He knows that barring injury he will never play in Baltimore. Washington is only a few miles away, so no need to uproot family. McNaab will probably be gone in a few years, so he can come in an learn the offense for a year or two and get a fair shake as the starter. Shanahan is a great coach.
J
jonnylingo
CougarClaw wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/redskins-acquire-qb-beck-from.html



looks like he's QB number 5 on the Redskins roster.



McNabb, Grossman, Richard Bartel and get this: Colt Brennan.



Interesting that they have four QBs on the roster and trade for a fifth. Doesn't speak highly of their current back up squad.


I would be worried about simply making the team at this point if I were Beck. Hope he does.


I suppose that's always a concern, but I just don't see a team trading for a player that won't make the team. If they really thought they had four viable QB's or even three for that matter, I wouldn't be trading away defensive players (at least not ones other teams would want!) for fifth QB.


Shanahan apparently only usually likes to keep two quarterbacks around. I wouldn't be suprised if Beck gets cut. Colt is apparently already out.
G
gmj81
Grossman has had his chance and just isn't that impressive of a QB. He's a year older (in terms of wear and tear even older) than Beck and likely much more costly. Beck hasn't really gotten a chance to prove himself anywhere yet and could be a real long term option at QB for the skins once McNabb retires. Shanahan would be wise to keep John around even if he has to keep three QBs though I think John would be more than capable as the backup if the need arose.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
All NFL teams keep 3 QB's. Every one. So Beck has a shot to stick as the 3rd guy. No 4th QB will be kept, unless they are on the developmental roster, but highly doubtful. But I bet he suits up for the Skins next year.
B
Brayden Green
Let's not pretend that Beck and Smith are in the same league of consideration. There is a huge difference on being picked up late in the second round, versus being the #1 overall pick as a quarterback. In the second round, especially as a quarterback, you are expected to contribute here and there, but not even see a gameday pressure sitaution until about your 2nd or 3rd year. Beck was thrown to the wolves, and no matter how bad the situation was for Smith, Smith is a flop. He was a product of a brilliant Urban Meyer offense, and 6 years and $60 million later, the 49ers are figuring that out. If you are any teams' first pick, you are expected to contribute on the two deep, and in the first 5 picks you are expected to start. I have no pity for the Ute. Hopefully Beck sticks, we'll see.
M
MTM
Smith has disappointed for sure but my point is whether you are chosen 1st or 50th if you are put in a situation where you have no chance to succeed you won't.



I don't know if you're old enough to remember Archie Manning's career but he was the epitome of what I mean.
D
Ddawg
CougarClaw wrote:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/redskins-acquire-qb-beck-from.html



looks like he's QB number 5 on the Redskins roster.



McNabb, Grossman, Richard Bartel and get this: Colt Brennan.



Interesting that they have four QBs on the roster and trade for a fifth. Doesn't speak highly of their current back up squad.


5 QB'S!!!!! Wow!!! I hope Beck makes the squad. I've always been a Beck fan.
G
gmj81
4. Colt Brennan was apparently already cut today right after Beck was brought in. And I've never heard of the other guy so I would already say that Beck would be slotted in at 3rd. But I really don't think it would take much for him to unseat Grossman.
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
MTM wrote:
Yeah, see Alex Smith's career.




I always thought he was a pretty random 1st overall pick. I guess that was before the NFL realized that the spread offense makes QB's look way better than they really are.
C
CougarClaw
gmj81 wrote:
4. Colt Brennan was apparently already cut today right after Beck was brought in. And I've never heard of the other guy so I would already say that Beck would be slotted in at 3rd. But I really don't think it would take much for him to unseat Grossman.


I hope you're right. I would love to see him do well and prove all the Miami haters wrong.
M
MTM
tmoney35 wrote:
Yeah, see Alex Smith's career.




I always thought he was a pretty random 1st overall pick. I guess that was before the NFL realized that the spread offense makes QB's look way better than they really are.


Dare I say he was a "system quarterback"?

I still think he can be a serviceable QB in the NFL. His OL was awful this first few years and he was sacked more than Paris Hilton. Too many sacks, fumbles, and INTs.

Last year was his first injury free year in a while and he posted OK numbers and his ball control was much better.

I think he is smart enough to produce but I don't think he is going to will the 49ers to victory single handedly.
B
Brayden Green
MTM wrote:
Smith has disappointed for sure but my point is whether you are chosen 1st or 50th if you are put in a situation where you have no chance to succeed you won't.



I don't know if you're old enough to remember Archie Manning's career but he was the epitome of what I mean.


Sure, and I agree with you. But when the 49ers paid out $74 for a 53 man roster, and Smith was making an estimated $8.5 million per year not including signing bonuses, you are getting paid "difference maker" money.



One player is almost getting 10% of the money, (24 million guaranteed) on a 53 man team. You would expect him not to have a 4 year qb rating of 62.9. Just saying.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.