Archived Topic

QB Reading Defenses

by BYULV · 8/2/2010

Advertisement
B
BYULV
I rewatched the BYU v. OU game again last night and of course got excited for this season. One thing I noticed during this game and most games where we are successful against good defensive teams is the QB's ability to read coverages early and make quick decisions. When Max Hall and John Beck really shined was when they were able to identify the D and pick it apart - that seems to be the goal for our Offense. (Its funny that Max was so good at times like vs OU and then at other times seemed to go back to reading his players instead of the Defense.) From all we hear about Jake Heaps he has all the tools of a great QB, but what do we know about his ability to read defenses and adjust to them. I have no idea what the competition was like for him in HS, but I would assume it was less complicated than the college game. Has anyone heard what his abilities are like reading and picking apart defenses? I think if he is able to pick up this aspect of the College game quickly enough, there won't be anything else that will keep him off the field. This seems to be the weakness of Freshmen QBs, not being able to read the D quickly enough or falling for their stunts and tricks.



Along the same line, can Riley Nelson read defenses. I didn't see enough in his limited playing time last season that gave any clue into this aspect of his game. Just from my limited view of these two QBs, I would guess that reading defenses may be more of a strength for Heaps than for Nelson (maybe just a skewed perception due to their different styles of play). Either way, I think any of the top 4 QBs we have could get the job done with the skills they possess, but I think being able to read defenses and adjust quickly will be the determining factor as to who becomes the starting QB this fall. This may be why Coach Mendenhall says it is too early to choose a starter just yet and may be too early to choose until after the first game or two. All other QB skills could be easily evaluated prior to the first game, but reading and reacting to defenses may be difficult to assess in practice settings. As long as one of the four QBs comes out of fall camp with a strong ability to read defenses, I think our team will do well this year regardless of which QB it ends up being.



Go cougs!!!
C
Cougs_Rule
So, what do folks think? It would be an interesting survey (no clue how to start one).

Who will more quickly learn to read and react to defenses: Nelson or Heaps?

Kind of tough to pick against Heaps considering how well his football IQ showed up at the Elite !! camp.
B
BYULV
There, added a poll.
I
Italics
Riley's reaction to a good pass defense would be simple: tuck and run.



Actually, that'd be his reaction to any defense.
Q
Qman
I thought that was supposed to the high points on Heaps. He can read defenses and make accurate throws.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I went with Riley based on the reaction portion of the question. When reading the defense, Jake's first reaction might be to move to another receiver who may or may not be open. Riley's will likely be to get out of the pocket. Neither reaction is wrong or right, just that Riley's reaction might be more visible than Jake's.
L
Lawboy
kitic77 wrote:
I went with Riley based on the reaction portion of the question. When reading the defense, Jake's first reaction might be to move to another receiver who may or may not be open. Riley's will likely be to get out of the pocket. Neither reaction is wrong or right, just that Riley's reaction might be more visible than Jake's.


Not sure how Heaps will be at reading D's this year, but by next, I think he will be best. As to Riley, just look at his stats. Dude tucks and runs like 50% of the time he drops back to pass. Like I said, look at his stats. It is fact. He is too impatient in the pocket, or really poor at reading a D. Either way, this is not his strength. Munns and Lark have both had a year or 2 in the program, but I have no idea how good they can be that way. Just know they have experience, and are pocket guys.
B
byucougar1
Jake Heaps was rated the #1 rated H.S. prospect for a pro style NFL offensive (system similar to BYU) which translates into the quarterback staying in the pocket as long as possible and reading defenses. Our strength this year is our offensive line and Jake is the quarterback who can perform best within the tackles and make plays off of defensive alignments. Because of our great offensive line play, Jake will be able use his pocket presence, go through his progressions based on defensive adjustments, and deliver the ball to a bevy of wide receivers and running backs. Given this scenario, there is no contest between Jake's reading defenses skill set and Riley's.



With the recruiting talent the Y has brought in recently, our offensive line is set to be solid for a long time. With a pro-style offensive system in place and an O-line capable of creating a consistent pocket, we should do well with pocket first quaterbacks (like Jake) whose experience at the Y should be close to that of an NFL QB.
M
MTM
Everything I've read and heard points to Heaps.



I think the only adjustment he'll have to make is the speed of the college game. I don't care how high he was ranked or what kind of all-star games he's participated in high school to D1 is a totally different game.



Once he gets that down I think he'll be fine.
W
WACoug
Elite 11 is the all star QB camp, the best of the best. Apart from being named overall camp MVP he also won the award for ready to play immediately and best at dissecting film/reading defenses.



Jake has been going to a nationally known QB coach since fifth grade. He may not be the overall athlete that Riley Nelson is but reading defenses and putting the ball where it needs to be is what Jake Heaps does. Period.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.