Archived Topic

Jake Heaps escorted out of LES

by CougarClaw · 8/1/2010

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
I'm glad he's still under the media-protection of a freshman cause it'd be hard to answer questions about this.



so jake, um...what were you doing in the closed stadium...at night....by yourself...in the dark.



meditating....voodoo....imprinting his upcoming glory....



Too bad he was caught doing whatever karma-meditation mental-prep thing he was doing cause this is the kind of thing the media and rivals love to mock. Hopefully no one makes anything of it.



If it gets us the win and makes you a better person at the same time. Go for it dude. Just don't get caught.
L
Lawboy
CougarClaw wrote:
I'm glad he's still under the media-protection of a freshman cause it'd be hard to answer questions about this.



so jake, um...what were you doing in the closed stadium...at night....by yourself...in the dark.



meditating....voodoo....imprinting his upcoming glory....



Too bad he was caught doing whatever karma-meditation mental-prep thing he was doing cause this is the kind of thing the media and rivals love to mock. Hopefully no one makes anything of it.



If it gets us the win and makes you a better person at the same time. Go for it dude. Just don't get caught.


Source?

Just tells me the dude loves football, and is pumped to play a game at LES. I love this. Just wish he had every other freshman on the team with him, if it is even true. The home stadium needs to be a special place to the team, and it obviously is for Jake. That matters.
S
SpiffCoug
Um... trespassing is trespassing. This was stupid. If you want to do this and you're a football player, I bet Bronco would be more than willing to set something up for you, so you don't have to go sneaking around, jumping fences and breaking the law and school rules.



Jake Heaps is not above the law - even if it is to get a look at the football stadium where he dreams of playing.



Bronco would likely have been more than willing to get him in whenever he wanted and avoided this potentially embarrassing situation.
S
Schmoe
Oh please, let's not make a big deal over something that isn't. Heaps is a young kid and all young kids will get into mischief, I know I did when I was his age. Nuff said.
M
Mars


I don't get how this is a news story. It seems like the stadium was open, but cops went after people who walked inside to look around. They busted 3 groups of people at different times that day.
Advertisement
B
byutx
John Beck used to sneak into the stadium all the time. He'd have a friend or his wife run routes. This really is no big deal.
B
Brayden Green
I actually prefer that he is sneaking in, rather than having something set up. I think until he gets the job, that would be presumptuous, and everything I've heard from Jake is the opposite. Hell, burn a big U SUCKS into Rice Chex stadium while your at it. I like the gesture.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Agreed that this isn't a big story - hardly even news, but at the same time, if Jake really wants to get into the stadium at night, there were better ways at doing this. Guess what Jake, if you want to be the QB at BYU, you better get used to living under a microscope. You're going to have a target on your back. You aren't going be able to get away with the same stuff you used to. You can't be acting a like a young kid who will get into all kinds of mischeif like all young kids.
M
Mars
kitic77 wrote:
Agreed that this isn't a big story - hardly even news, but at the same time, if Jake really wants to get into the stadium at night, there were better ways at doing this.

What makes you think it was at night?
C
craigoscarson
This is not a news story...



When i was 24, I was driving down to Orlando to see my girlfriend at the time. I stopped in Gainesville on the way down and walked up to the Swamp to see the gates were wide open. I decided to put on some running shoes and shorts and run stairs. I got a couple crazy looks from janitors, etc. but no one ever stopped me; I just acted like it was no big deal and they seemed to buy it.



If this was anyone but our golden boy, no one would bother to think this was news; if it bothered someone, they'd just ask them to leave. That's just part of being the #1 recruit in the country; eyes are on you even when they shouldn't be.



Same deal with OC reserving lockers for Heaps and Apo; those 2 had nothing to do with it but someone in the media had to spin it like Jake is a firestarter/primadonna.



Would anyone bat an eyelash if Ty Detmer walked into LES and sat there?



I say roll out the redcarpet if our boy is so excited to be a star at BYU that he can'thandle not being in the stadium... hell give him a sleeping bag and a tent.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
Lawboy wrote:
Source?

Just tells me the dude loves football, and is pumped to play a game at LES. I love this. Just wish he had every other freshman on the team with him, if it is even true. The home stadium needs to be a special place to the team, and it obviously is for Jake. That matters.


Jake identified by Drew in his blog, original source from http://twitter.com/BYUPoliceBeat, which is funny enough to make me change my mind about not doing twitter. Cottage cheese in the air ducts?



A couple of times when I went to cougar club lunch mtgs, I was inexorably drawn into the stadium afterwards, even on to the field. What a great feeling to stand there alone and imagine upcoming games, the crowd, the feeling--I totally understand what Jake was doing.
K
KYCoug
Give him the freeking key! Let him sleep there if it makes him comfortable!!!
D
Ddawg
Schmoe wrote:
Oh please, let's not make a big deal over something that isn't. Heaps is a young kid and all young kids will get into mischief, I know I did when I was his age. Nuff said.


Youthful mischief?? Getting into trouble as a teenager??? Not me!!! NO WAY!!! I never mis-stepped, mis-judged, did a wrong or raised any eyebrows!!

:bug: :whistle: ;) :bug: :whistle: ;)
S
Schmoe
kitic77 wrote:
Agreed that this isn't a big story - hardly even news, but at the same time, if Jake really wants to get into the stadium at night, there were better ways at doing this. Guess what Jake, if you want to be the QB at BYU, you better get used to living under a microscope. You're going to have a target on your back. You aren't going be able to get away with the same stuff you used to. You can't be acting a like a young kid who will get into all kinds of mischeif like all young kids.


Yep, not allowed to be a person anymore, you have to be perfect, otherwise people on the internet will crucify you... :roll:
C
Cougy_Monster
The BYU police beat is the greatest. Classic comedy. Growing up in Provo I hung out around campus a lot and the campus police frequently gave us a hard time for no reason. I even got cited for having a water weanie and for playing basketball with the wrong clothes on. I never got escorted out of the stadium, but it's open all the time and nobody ever seemed to care if you went in.



The funny thing is that the campus police were never around when we were actually breaking the law. Good for us.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Offseason, much?



Next up, "Jake Heaps Eats at the local burger hut.". I mean, Jay, this isn't a story. Just do what everyone else is doing, write yet ANOTHER article on whether or not the rivalry will survive Utah's move to the pac-12. And BYU's reaction to Utah leaving them behind.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
All I'm asking for is a little discretion. Trespassing isn't the same as going to go grab burgers. Not demanding perfection, just some common sense. Jake is a leader. He should have enough sense to tell guys, let's not trespass. If we want to get in the stadium there are other ways to do it. It's all I'm saying.



If it was just to go in and picture themselves making plays on that very field, it is indeed fantastic. Bronco did the exact same thing with the entire team his first as the coach. Understanding the uniqueness and history of the LES is a key component in BYU's success in the stadium.



But the simple fact is, they got caught being where they weren't supposed to be - or at least being there without the proper permission. This isn't a story and it shouldn't be a story. But you know it will be. The guys at the Trib and 1280 will eat this stuff up and it'll be a big discussion tomorrow and all week on the radio. And this whole story wouldn't even be around if Heaps had shown some discretion and gotten permission.



This reminds me of ONeill before the first year. He made some pretty tame comments about some teammates. They got blown way out of proportion and now freshman can't talk to the media. If OC had more experience with reporters and been in the system a little longer, the comments would have been better phrased and he would have been more experienced in dealing with reporters.



Jake will learn from this and has probably already talked to Bronco about it and I wouldn't be surprised if he's introduced himself to all the security staff who monitor the stadium, so that they know who he is and why he may want to come and picture himself succeeding on that field from time to time.



I'd much rather him learn the lesson of discretion in this pretty tame event than something much more serious.
M
Mars


I've "trespassed" at LES. And Boise State's stadium. And Wyoming's.

I've also driven up to the front gates at TCU, CSU, and New Mexico's football stadiums to check them out (but the darn gates were locked!).
C
Cougs_Rule
I think this shows poor maturity in Jake.

I think this is predictive of poor decision making yet to come on the field. I think he may even throw an interception or two when he should have known better.

I think he should get up in front of the whole team and promise never to disgrace the team again. Then he should hold a press conference once his media ban is lifted and explain how he has jeopardized his chances of starting because of his poor decision making.

I think Jake should get on CC and apologize to all the readers and posters that he incited such a time-waisting thread. Someone please kill this thread. :crazy: if I wasnt rediculous enough to successfully do so.



And here I thought I had made a resolution to stop being sarcastic on CC.
J
jonnylingo
kitic77 wrote:
Um... trespassing is trespassing. This was stupid. If you want to do this and you're a football player, I bet Bronco would be more than willing to set something up for you, so you don't have to go sneaking around, jumping fences and breaking the law and school rules.



Jake Heaps is not above the law - even if it is to get a look at the football stadium where he dreams of playing.



Bronco would likely have been more than willing to get him in whenever he wanted and avoided this potentially embarrassing situation.


Are you seriuos? :bug: Ridiculous.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.