G
GunkFirst, I found this interesting write-up by Ryan Feldman (not sure how much of an expert he is) about how the players on the USA Select Team, which includes Jimmer, fared against the USA National team. According to this eye witness here's what he saw:
JIMMER FREDETTE, BYU
What he does well: Shoot. Fredette is as pure a shooter as anyone in college basketball. He can shoot the ball from NBA range with consistency.
What he needs to work on: Against the NBA players, Fredette had trouble getting open for an outside jumper. At his size, he needs to be a point guard to make the NBA. His ball-handling and passing wasn't great at all. He needs to prove this year that he can be an NBA point guard.
http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=531
I'd agree with the assessment. We all know Jimmer needs to work on his passing game. His dribble game is solid for college, but against quicker guards and double teams we saw him struggle and in some cases turn the ball over. In those situations he needs to learn to just pass it rather than try and split the D and recognize the double is coming before it's too late. Against NBA guards, I don't see him getting away with trying to split the D like he did last season.
On the bright side, no mention of poor defense, so I guess you could infer he did alright in that category. Enough that it wouldn't be called out as an area for improvement.
I agree too, that Jimmer's future in the NBA is as a PG, so I hope he really works on distributing the ball.
Second, I found this nice little write up by Seth Davis, who asked an NBA scout in attendance about our guy Jimmer. According to the unnamed scout:
Jimmer Fredette, 6-2 senior guard, BYU: "He had his moments, though he was a little up and down. He handled pressure a little better than I thought, and I saw him have one decent spurt. I think he'll play in the league because he can really shoot the ball. I like his nose for it."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/seth_davis/07/28/vegas.stars/
Good to hear. So maybe Jimmer didn't struggle as much against the NBA guards as Feldman seems to allude too.
JIMMER FREDETTE, BYU
What he does well: Shoot. Fredette is as pure a shooter as anyone in college basketball. He can shoot the ball from NBA range with consistency.
What he needs to work on: Against the NBA players, Fredette had trouble getting open for an outside jumper. At his size, he needs to be a point guard to make the NBA. His ball-handling and passing wasn't great at all. He needs to prove this year that he can be an NBA point guard.
http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=531
I'd agree with the assessment. We all know Jimmer needs to work on his passing game. His dribble game is solid for college, but against quicker guards and double teams we saw him struggle and in some cases turn the ball over. In those situations he needs to learn to just pass it rather than try and split the D and recognize the double is coming before it's too late. Against NBA guards, I don't see him getting away with trying to split the D like he did last season.
On the bright side, no mention of poor defense, so I guess you could infer he did alright in that category. Enough that it wouldn't be called out as an area for improvement.
I agree too, that Jimmer's future in the NBA is as a PG, so I hope he really works on distributing the ball.
Second, I found this nice little write up by Seth Davis, who asked an NBA scout in attendance about our guy Jimmer. According to the unnamed scout:
Jimmer Fredette, 6-2 senior guard, BYU: "He had his moments, though he was a little up and down. He handled pressure a little better than I thought, and I saw him have one decent spurt. I think he'll play in the league because he can really shoot the ball. I like his nose for it."
Good to hear. So maybe Jimmer didn't struggle as much against the NBA guards as Feldman seems to allude too.

