Archived Topic

The thing about Riley Nelson that can't be ignored

by WACoug · 7/28/2010

Advertisement
W
WACoug
His senior year he threw 50 td's vs. 6 int's and ran for another 30 td's. I don't think that includes playoffs because I have heard that his final td #'s were more like 54 passing and 31 running. That is incredible production. You don't have that kind of success without a great deal of talent and play making ability.



http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/LV2kEbdfBUKvuuwnGxQS7Q/football-fall-05/stats-riley-nelson.htm



What concerns me is how his type of game translates to D1 college football. IF his limited history is any indicator, we can start to see the answer.



A lot of people compare him to Doman due to their physical similarities but we have to remember that Doman was a very prolific option QB in HS and then ran an option centered offense under Crowton.



I don't think it is really up for debate that Heaps' skill set translates better to the college game, and more specifically, to the BYU college game.



I will be extremely shocked if Heaps redshirts and because of that I fully believe that he will play. After the things Bronco has said this week I expect to see both Heaps and Nelson play and I think, like Bronco said needs to happen, it will become apparent to "all" involved who is the "starting" QB, and who is the "backup/situational" QB.
L
Lawboy
After the things Bronco has said, I expct to see 2 QB's play. Not sure which 2 yet. We assume it will be Nelson and Heaps, but what if it is Heaps and Munns? Or if Lark sneaks in? I think the one thing that is clear is that Bronco wants the competition at the position and will not tip his hand early because he wants the guys on edge competing for as long as possible. I suspect that by prep week for the UW game, the starter will be named, but the back-up will also get equal time.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
After the things Bronco has said, I expct to see 2 QB's play. Not sure which 2 yet. We assume it will be Nelson and Heaps, but what if it is Heaps and Munns? Or if Lark sneaks in? I think the one thing that is clear is that Bronco wants the competition at the position and will not tip his hand early because he wants the guys on edge competing for as long as possible. I suspect that by prep week for the UW game, the starter will be named, but the back-up will also get equal time.


I agree Bronco is being very politically correct here. He is not hinting that either has the nod just that its anybody's for the taking.
Q
QuarterbackU
WACoug wrote:
His senior year he threw 50 td's vs. 6 int's and ran for another 30 td's. I don't think that includes playoffs because I have heard that his final td #'s were more like 54 passing and 31 running. That is incredible production. You don't have that kind of success without a great deal of talent and play making ability.



http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/LV2kEbdfBUKvuuwnGxQS7Q/football-fall-05/stats-riley-nelson.htm



What concerns me is how his type of game translates to D1 college football. IF his limited history is any indicator, we can start to see the answer.



A lot of people compare him to Doman due to their physical similarities but we have to remember that Doman was a very prolific option QB in HS and then ran an option centered offense under Crowton.



I don't think it is really up for debate that Heaps' skill set translates better to the college game, and more specifically, to the BYU college game.



I will be extremely shocked if Heaps redshirts and because of that I fully believe that he will play. After the things Bronco has said this week I expect to see both Heaps and Nelson play and I think, like Bronco said needs to happen, it will become apparent to "all" involved who is the "starting" QB, and who is the "backup/situational" QB.


I think the production above is part of the reason Riley will not start at BYU. The BYU offense is all about spreading the ball around to 8 different players. There is no doubt Riley could jump in a be a start and most likely have 1000 yards rushing and 10 rushing TD's as well but that is not what we are doing here at BYU. That's why most people choose to ignore his outrageous HS statistics, because it just doesn't mesh with BYU's offensive or team philosophy. Riley Nelson in a BYU uniform makes no sense to me at all. Sure he can come in and run the option/wildcat type of formations but we all know he wants to be a starting QB and that doesn't work for BYU.
Y
YNot
jonnylingo wrote:
I agree Bronco is being very politically correct here. He is not hinting that either has the nod just that its anybody's for the taking.


I think the non-decision at quarterback could play well for the Cougs against Washington. If I were Bronco, I would not make ANY public announcements about who will start the Washington game. The Huskies will not know how to game plan....and we can all be surprised....
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
QuarterbackU wrote:
His senior year he threw 50 td's vs. 6 int's and ran for another 30 td's. I don't think that includes playoffs because I have heard that his final td #'s were more like 54 passing and 31 running. That is incredible production. You don't have that kind of success without a great deal of talent and play making ability.



http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/LV2kEbdfBUKvuuwnGxQS7Q/football-fall-05/stats-riley-nelson.htm



What concerns me is how his type of game translates to D1 college football. IF his limited history is any indicator, we can start to see the answer.



A lot of people compare him to Doman due to their physical similarities but we have to remember that Doman was a very prolific option QB in HS and then ran an option centered offense under Crowton.



I don't think it is really up for debate that Heaps' skill set translates better to the college game, and more specifically, to the BYU college game.



I will be extremely shocked if Heaps redshirts and because of that I fully believe that he will play. After the things Bronco has said this week I expect to see both Heaps and Nelson play and I think, like Bronco said needs to happen, it will become apparent to "all" involved who is the "starting" QB, and who is the "backup/situational" QB.


I think the production above is part of the reason Riley will not start at BYU. The BYU offense is all about spreading the ball around to 8 different players. There is no doubt Riley could jump in a be a start and most likely have 1000 yards rushing and 10 rushing TD's as well but that is not what we are doing here at BYU. That's why most people choose to ignore his outrageous HS statistics, because it just doesn't mesh with BYU's offensive or team philosophy. Riley Nelson in a BYU uniform makes no sense to me at all. Sure he can come in and run the option/wildcat type of formations but we all know he wants to be a starting QB and that doesn't work for BYU.


Yeah, Brandon Doman (who threw less in high school then Nelson did) also didn't make sense in a BYU uniform.
S
SpiffCoug
QuarterbackU wrote:
His senior year he threw 50 td's vs. 6 int's and ran for another 30 td's. I don't think that includes playoffs because I have heard that his final td #'s were more like 54 passing and 31 running. That is incredible production. You don't have that kind of success without a great deal of talent and play making ability.



http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/LV2kEbdfBUKvuuwnGxQS7Q/football-fall-05/stats-riley-nelson.htm


I think the production above is part of the reason Riley will not start at BYU. The BYU offense is all about spreading the ball around to 8 different players. There is no doubt Riley could jump in a be a start and most likely have 1000 yards rushing and 10 rushing TD's as well but that is not what we are doing here at BYU. That's why most people choose to ignore his outrageous HS statistics, because it just doesn't mesh with BYU's offensive or team philosophy. Riley Nelson in a BYU uniform makes no sense to me at all. Sure he can come in and run the option/wildcat type of formations but we all know he wants to be a starting QB and that doesn't work for BYU.

I'm not sure how 50 Passing TDs and nearly 3,800 yards passing doesn't mesh with an offense that is "all about spreading the ball around to 8 different players." Riley completed 67.5% of his passes that year, so it shows some accuracy as well. In fact Riley had a better completion percentage as a senior than Heaps did (60.5)%. In fact if Riley had attempted as many passes as Jake as a senior he would have only needed to complete 19 more passes in those 66 additonal attempts.



I stated in another thread, if "Riley Nelson in a BYU uniform makes no sense" he wouldn't be. Clearly the coaching staff feels otherwise.
Q
QuarterbackU
if Riley doesn't start over Jake Heaps then he's not made the right decision to come to BYU to PLAY football. If he's going to sit the bench for the next two years of his career then he made the wrong football decision. He may have made the right decision when it comes to dating LDS women or having Brownies with a bunch of fat FHE sisters or spending his spare time at Seven Peaks but not about playing for BYU. Most of the reports suggest that everyone on the team and staff appreciate Riley's abilities but prefer a pocket passer. I believe that goes for most on this board as well. If Riley doesn't start with his freakish ability to run and create then he shouldn't have to come conservative, pass happy, pro style BYU.



If Riley wins the starting job then we will see what happens. He didn't come to BYU to get beat out by a true freshman and not start and that's what I mean about belonging.



Also, didn't Riley play in a lower division of Utah Highschool football? Would he have produced those numbers playing in the upper division? I didn't watch Riley play highschool football or know who helped him out with those numbers or what offense they ran. For all I know, based on his throwing motion, he was dumping the ball off in the flats all day to get those numbers...



I do know that Heaps HS offense was very similar to BYU's.



Don't take this personal Riley Lovers. If Riley played QB for USU or the UofU, he'd be unstoppable.



:whistle: Alright, I'm ready for my beating. ;)
S
SpiffCoug
QuarterbackU wrote:
if Riley doesn't start over Jake Heaps then he's not made the right decision to come to BYU to PLAY football. If he's going to sit the bench for the next two years of his career then he made the wrong football decision.


Agreed. If he doesn't win the job, he made a poor decision. He would have been the starter at USU last year and who knows, maybe he could have helped Coach Anderson up there turn things around.
A
allcoug
QuarterbackU wrote:
if Riley doesn't start over Jake Heaps then he's not made the right decision to come to BYU to PLAY football. If he's going to sit the bench for the next two years of his career then he made the wrong football decision. He may have made the right decision when it comes to dating LDS women or having Brownies with a bunch of fat FHE sisters or spending his spare time at Seven Peaks but not about playing for BYU. Most of the reports suggest that everyone on the team and staff appreciate Riley's abilities but prefer a pocket passer. I believe that goes for most on this board as well. If Riley doesn't start with his freakish ability to run and create then he shouldn't have to come conservative, pass happy, pro style BYU.


I agree with this. And to add fuel to the fire - I believe the only reason we beat Utah last year is because Max FINALLY found his legs and scrambled when the situation was right (remember the first downs he got with his legs? - the offense started to open up once he did that). He won that game with his arm and his legs. The offense BYU runs, I believe, is better suited to a Steve Young type player (someone that is a pretty good passer but can also exploit the defense by running). I'm going to say that if Riley can prove to be a decent passer then he should be favored to start. If he fails miserably then it's I wouldn't wait long (maybe during the FSU game) to replace him with Heaps (or someone else).
Advertisement
W
WACoug
kitic77 wrote:
if Riley doesn't start over Jake Heaps then he's not made the right decision to come to BYU to PLAY football. If he's going to sit the bench for the next two years of his career then he made the wrong football decision.


Agreed. If he doesn't win the job, he made a poor decision. He would have been the starter at USU last year and who knows, maybe he could have helped Coach Anderson up there turn things around.


I remember a quote from earlier this year from Nelson about how he came to BYU to get ready for medical school and that it was no big deal to be the back up because playing football was just gravy. I guess we will see if that is really the way he feels or just lip service.
M
Mars
allcoug wrote:
to add fuel to the fire - I believe the only reason we beat Utah last year is because Max FINALLY found his legs and scrambled when the situation was right (remember the first downs he got with his legs? - the offense started to open up once he did that). He won that game with his arm and his legs. The offense BYU runs, I believe, is better suited to a Steve Young type player (someone that is a pretty good passer but can also exploit the defense by running). I'm going to say that if Riley can prove to be a decent passer then he should be favored to start.

Not only is Heaps a much, much better passer than Riley Nelson, but he is also a better runner than Max Hall (and a much, much better runner than John Beck). He's basically THE guy.
C
Cougs_Rule
allcoug. Beg to differ. Max hardly won that game with his arm. Except for the game winner to Andrew George (a very risky pass), he was not throwing strikes. He ran because he couldnt throw, they were doubling on Pitta and also had pretty good coverage and that was about all Max had left was to run.
A
allcoug
dmcougar wrote:
allcoug. Beg to differ. Max hardly won that game with his arm. Except for the game winner to Andrew George (a very risky pass), he was not throwing strikes. He ran because he couldnt throw, they were doubling on Pitta and also had pretty good coverage and that was about all Max had left was to run.


Agreed, I just didn't want to start an debate about Max's throwing ability - he was off most of the game. But he did finally tuck the ball and run, which I believe won the game for us. Just wish he would have tried more of this during the TCU and FSU games.



At any rate, I believe our offense needs a QB that isn't afraid to make the defense pay for sitting back in coverage. We have seen Riley do this at USU. If Heaps can do this as well along with a better throwing arm then all the better.
M
Mars
allcoug wrote:
he did finally tuck the ball and run, which I believe won the game for us. Just wish he would have tried more of this during the TCU and FSU games.

I don't think it would have worked against TCU, at all. Their defense was way too fast, and the pocket collapsed too quick to get out of it.



And we had no problem scoring against Florida State. If our defense played well, our offense was doing just fine.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
dmcougar wrote:
allcoug. Beg to differ. Max hardly won that game with his arm. Except for the game winner to Andrew George (a very risky pass), he was not throwing strikes. He ran because he couldnt throw, they were doubling on Pitta and also had pretty good coverage and that was about all Max had left was to run.


Ding Ding Ding. Utah had every receiver and tight covered all night. there was nothing there. thank goodness for oneill chambers and his great returns. without him, that game was lost. we couldn't move the ball well at all.
S
SpiffCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
allcoug. Beg to differ. Max hardly won that game with his arm. Except for the game winner to Andrew George (a very risky pass), he was not throwing strikes. He ran because he couldnt throw, they were doubling on Pitta and also had pretty good coverage and that was about all Max had left was to run.


Ding Ding Ding. Utah was holding every receiver and tight end ... all night. there was nothing there. thank goodness for oneill chambers and his great returns. without him, that game was lost. we couldn't move the ball well at all.

There Jonny, fixed your quoted.
R
redneckjedi
kitic77 wrote:
dmcougar wrote:
allcoug. Beg to differ. Max hardly won that game with his arm. Except for the game winner to Andrew George (a very risky pass), he was not throwing strikes. He ran because he couldnt throw, they were doubling on Pitta and also had pretty good coverage and that was about all Max had left was to run.


Ding Ding Ding. Utah was holding every receiver and tight end ... all night. there was nothing there. thank goodness for oneill chambers and his great returns. without him, that game was lost. we couldn't move the ball well at all.

There Jonny, fixed your quoted.


So true. I don't get why Utah's DBs can be all over their man from snap to whistle without a flag (most of the time), but a little hand fighting from a BYU DB or WR gets a flag more often than not. :angry:
M
Mars
redneckjedi wrote:
I don't get why Utah's DBs can be all over their man from snap to whistle without a flag (most of the time), but a little hand fighting from a BYU DB or WR gets a flag more often than not. :angry:

Perhaps those in man coverage who go one-on-one with the same receiver all game long get more leniency than those playing zone, who have to deal quickly with whoever breaks into their space.
B
bball
I don't think anybody really knows how good Nelson is, or can be, we only know what he was a few years ago. I think it is not out of the question that Nelson starts in the Washington game, then Heaps plays a quarter or two, then they begin to separate themselves.



However, if Heaps is head and shoulders above the other QBs in fall camp, then he will be the starter, and Nelson may never see the field this year.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.