Archived Topic

Bronco on the Holy War: Clean it up or Cut it

by Mars · 7/28/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


" Mendenhall wants to force more civility into this increasingly intense and heated rivalry. He's going all in on cleaning up the runaway attitudes.



"Both administrators and both universities need to take better control of the stadiums, so the game is safe. And I would be a proponent, unless that is addressed, not to play the game." "



http://www.ksl.com/?nid=294&sid=11752499
B
Brayden Green
Yeah, stop throwing beer on me for wearing a jersey, you stupid douchebags!



Tell em Bronco!
M
MTM
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Yeah, stop throwing beer on me for wearing a jersey, you stupid douchebags!



Tell em Bronco!


I wonder if this guy will have a job tomorrow



http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/25/10009597/USU-Aggies-Sanctimony-among-rivals.html



Having been at LaVell Edwards Stadium outside the visitors locker room and having witnessed numerous four-letter words and lukewarm beverages tossed over the walls at departing players and fans, I'd say Mendenhall is right about administrations needing to get better control of things at stadiums.
B
Brayden Green
MTM wrote:
Yeah, stop throwing beer on me for wearing a jersey, you stupid douchebags!



Tell em Bronco!


I wonder if this guy will have a job tomorrow



http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/25/10009597/USU-Aggies-Sanctimony-among-rivals.html



Having been at LaVell Edwards Stadium outside the visitors locker room and having witnessed numerous four-letter words and lukewarm beverages tossed over the walls at departing players and fans, I'd say Mendenhall is right about administrations needing to get better control of things at stadiums.




To the players is one thing, but to the fans sitting in seats and walking home is another. And I'll take a coke being poured on me over a beer, any day of the week, and twice on sunday.



In a perfect world, no one throws anything and we are completely respectful to each other. But they are far from that perfect world on the hill. They are far from normal civility, in fact. I would be embarrassed to be a ute fan, for all that goes on in home games. Hopefully the Whits can keep their hands to themselves after another home loss, and not get into another after game brawl with fans. But that's what you can expect from such a classy organization. ;)



And as for the blogger, hopefully he doesn't lose his job. He is welcome to post whatever he wants. He is also welcome to have no readers, which seems to be the case.
C
CougarClaw
BlueIsBetter wrote:



And I'll take a coke being poured on me over a beer, any day of the week, and twice on sunday.


Wait, what KIND of beer? :D



j/k



actually I wonder if beer is worse on your clothes and skin than Coke. They don't use beer to dissolve the rust off of old bolts. Nope only one type of FDA sanctioned beverage does that.
Advertisement
M
MTM
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Yeah, stop throwing beer on me for wearing a jersey, you stupid douchebags!



Tell em Bronco!


I wonder if this guy will have a job tomorrow



http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/25/10009597/USU-Aggies-Sanctimony-among-rivals.html



Having been at LaVell Edwards Stadium outside the visitors locker room and having witnessed numerous four-letter words and lukewarm beverages tossed over the walls at departing players and fans, I'd say Mendenhall is right about administrations needing to get better control of things at stadiums.




To the players is one thing, but to the fans sitting in seats and walking home is another. And I'll take a coke being poured on me over a beer, any day of the week, and twice on sunday.



In a perfect world, no one throws anything and we are completely respectful to each other. But they are far from that perfect world on the hill. They are far from normal civility, in fact. I would be embarrassed to be a ute fan, for all that goes on in home games. Hopefully the Whits can keep their hands to themselves after another home loss, and not get into another after game brawl with fans. But that's what you can expect from such a classy organization. ;)



And as for the blogger, hopefully he doesn't lose his job. He is welcome to post whatever he wants. He is also welcome to have no readers, which seems to be the case.


having witnessed numerous four-letter words and lukewarm beverages tossed over the walls at departing players and fans,



I don't give a **** about language either. ;)



I agree with the blogger that it goes both ways. And Bronco didn't say Utah needs to ratchet up their security. He said both schools needed to.



And I'll take the beer over a sticky, syrupy Coke.
A
allcoug
In all honesty I vote to cut this game. It really doesn't get noticed outside of Utah (seriously, it doesn't) and the hatred that goes along with the game sucks life out of the whole season. To me one of the silver linings in Utah leaving the conference is that the rivalry game won't continue as it is now. I say we work to get a high quality non-conference game each year in November (NOT UTAH) so that we can have a break from playing the New Mexico's of the MWC.



Other rivalries in the country are not nearly as ugly as the BYU/Utah game. This is a tradition worth ending especially since in 4 or 5 years it will become Utah's bowl game like it was in the 70's and 80's. It's time for us to cut the apron stings completely and let UT go off on it's own. BYU will always have its unique place in college football. Utah just got rid of its connection to the school that helped them achieve whatever success they have achieved. Do you really think anybody is going to pay attention to the Utah/Colorado 'rivalry' game? Utah will soon be begging us to play every year so they have something to play for. I really think we need to let Utah deal with the consequences of their move and not let them tag along with us anymore.
1
1967cougar
allcoug wrote:
In all honesty I vote to cut this game. It really doesn't get noticed outside of Utah (seriously, it doesn't) and the hatred that goes along with the game sucks life out of the whole season. To me one of the silver linings in Utah leaving the conference is that the rivalry game won't continue as it is now. I say we work to get a high quality non-conference game each year in November (NOT UTAH) so that we can have a break from playing the New Mexico's of the MWC.



Other rivalries in the country are not nearly as ugly as the BYU/Utah game. This is a tradition worth ending especially since in 4 or 5 years it will become Utah's bowl game like it was in the 70's and 80's. It's time for us to cut the apron stings completely and let UT go off on it's own. BYU will always have its unique place in college football. Utah just got rid of its connection to the school that helped them achieve whatever success they have achieved. Do you really think anybody is going to pay attention to the Utah/Colorado 'rivalry' game? Utah will soon be begging us to play every year so they have something to play for. I really think we need to let Utah deal with the consequences of their move and not let them tag along with us anymore.


Totally agree. I've lived outside of Utah a lot of years (thankful to be back here for the last 20). Beyond our borders, no one cares. I even had a guy ask me, when I told him I was moving to Utah, "Utah. That's west of the Mississippi, isn't it?"



My take on the rivalry is simple. I try all I can do to live a Christ-like life. I have a struggle within having to balance that with my intense hatred for the Pukes. Rather than meet my demons head-on and becoming humble and submissive, I'd rather the rivalry begin to vanish so I don't have to deal with my personal shortcomings. I can keep my head in the sand. It's comfortable, cool, and cozy down there.
B
byutx
allcoug wrote:
In all honesty I vote to cut this game. It really doesn't get noticed outside of Utah (seriously, it doesn't)

The NY Times, ESPN, Sports Illustrated have all put it in their lists of top rivalries, even in their outside-of-Utah publications/broadcasts.
B
Brayden Green
I really can't see the rivalry getting better anytime soon, especially if Utah does well in the Pac (not very likely). We won't be playing each other very soon, or often. The Pukes would be crazy to schedule a perennial top 25 team OOC every year that is a very likely loss. The only way they schedule us, is if we continue to take the majority of in-state recruits. But with that said, they don't schedule us once in the next 3 years, and probably not within five. At least now, we can settle it on the field. We get to see in November who is the better team every year. Now when an elitist puke says that he is better than us, we have no way to prove it.
Advertisement
A
allcoug
byutx wrote:
In all honesty I vote to cut this game. It really doesn't get noticed outside of Utah (seriously, it doesn't)

The NY Times, ESPN, Sports Illustrated have all put it in their lists of top rivalries, even in their outside-of-Utah publications/broadcasts.


They also put the Army/Navy rivalry on their list - unless you are in the military no one really cares because this game has no impact on national standings. But when Navy beats Notre Dame - now that's a story!



If BYU's biggest game of the year is Utah then we aren't going anywhere fast. I don't know about you but I ALWAYS look at our non-conference schedule first to see what our BIG game of the year is - I never consider the Utah game as our big game. This year it is Washington and FSU. These games will get national attention, not the ugly rivalry game with Utah. The media here in Utah makes a lot of money during rivalry week so they stir up the emotion - but I'm more interested in beating teams from BCS conferences.
B
byutx
allcoug wrote:
allcoug wrote:
In all honesty I vote to cut this game. It really doesn't get noticed outside of Utah (seriously, it doesn't)

The NY Times, ESPN, Sports Illustrated have all put it in their lists of top rivalries, even in their outside-of-Utah publications/broadcasts.


They also put the Army/Navy rivalry on their list - unless you are in the military no one really cares because this game has no impact on national standings. But when Navy beats Notre Dame - now that's a story!



If BYU's biggest game of the year is Utah then we aren't going anywhere fast. I don't know about you but I ALWAYS look at our non-conference schedule first to see what our BIG game of the year is - I never consider the Utah game as our big game. This year it is Washington and FSU. These games will get national attention, not the ugly rivalry game with Utah. The media here in Utah makes a lot of money during rivalry week so they stir up the emotion - but I'm more interested in beating teams from BCS conferences.

Just pointing out that it really does get noticed outside of Utah (seriously, it does) :)

I say cut it for the good of the programs' fans and to clean things up
B
Brayden Green
allcoug wrote:
allcoug wrote:
In all honesty I vote to cut this game. It really doesn't get noticed outside of Utah (seriously, it doesn't)

The NY Times, ESPN, Sports Illustrated have all put it in their lists of top rivalries, even in their outside-of-Utah publications/broadcasts.


They also put the Army/Navy rivalry on their list - unless you are in the military no one really cares because this game has no impact on national standings. But when Navy beats Notre Dame - now that's a story!



If BYU's biggest game of the year is Utah then we aren't going anywhere fast. I don't know about you but I ALWAYS look at our non-conference schedule first to see what our BIG game of the year is - I never consider the Utah game as our big game. This year it is Washington and FSU. These games will get national attention, not the ugly rivalry game with Utah. The media here in Utah makes a lot of money during rivalry week so they stir up the emotion - but I'm more interested in beating teams from BCS conferences.


I would think that TCU would be our big game this year. We have about a 2% chance of winning, but that is our biggest game.
K
kiwibacon
MTM wrote:



I don't give a **** about language either. ;)



You might not but the mods do. ;)
Advertisement
M
MTM
kiwibacon wrote:



I don't give a **** about language either. ;)



You might not but the mods do. ;)


I was actually surprised there wasn't a filter to automatically edit it. I meant it as a joke. :lol:
B
BigCougsFan
MTM wrote:
Having been at LaVell Edwards Stadium outside the visitors locker room and having witnessed numerous four-letter words and lukewarm beverages tossed over the walls at departing players and fans...


Wait a minute!!! Who's letting their beer get warm in the first place :skeptic:
J
JamieVallen
"I don't normally like getting beer poured on me by Ute fans, but when I do I prefer Dos Equis! Stay thirsty my friends!"

http://www.daegansmith.com/personality-marketing-mostinterestingmanintheworld.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
I detest the Yewts. However, I hope we keep playing the scumbags. Imagine playing the Yewts - members of the PAC-12, rated NCAA top 15 & we squash 'm!!!!

Priceless!!!! Love it!!! That's why I want to keep the rivalry alive - to crush their hopes & dreams. Bam!!!
B
Brayden Green
jmvcougar wrote:
"I don't normally like getting beer poured on me by Ute fans, but when I do I prefer Dos Equis! Stay thirsty my friends!"

http://www.daegansmith.com/personality-marketing-mostinterestingmanintheworld.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ahahahahaha! That was hilarious!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.