Archived Topic

7 on 7 drills

by BYUBALLIN · 7/28/2010

Advertisement
B
BYUBALLIN
So iam in the middle of getting a new job, so i got some free time. So i went down to the practice field and watched the 7 on 7 drills. Let me say wow the WR core looks really nice. After watching this i would say Heaps so has the starting spot at QB. I know I know 1 day but wow he is on point throw after throw. I got a tour of the football complex as well. We were walking around and the tour guide goes look its the BYU AD, i looked at my wife and said WOW that not the AD that's Robbie Bosco. I told my wife to hand me a pen and she pulled me by the shirt and was like oooo no you dont come on. it broke my heart. I think i need a new tour tomm without the wife hahahah.
L
Lawboy
BYUBALLIN wrote:
So iam in the middle of getting a new job, so i got some free time. So i went down to the practice field and watched the 7 on 7 drills. Let me say wow the WR core looks really nice. After watching this i would say Heaps so has the starting spot at QB. I know I know 1 day but wow he is on point throw after throw. I got a tour of the football complex as well. We were walking around and the tour guide goes look its the BYU AD, i looked at my wife and said WOW that not the AD that's Robbie Bosco. I told my wife to hand me a pen and she pulled me by the shirt and was like oooo no you dont come on. it broke my heart. I think i need a new tour tomm without the wife hahahah.




What time did you drop by the practice field????
B
BYUBALLIN
it was about 9 ish..
S
SpiffCoug
7 on 7 is not 11 v 11. Jake Heaps grew up playing 7 on 7 and simply tears up the drill because it's basically second nature to him. Heaps throws a perfect spiral and simply excels at 7 on 7. Bronco, Doman and Anae will not be basing their starting QB decision on 7 on 7 performance.
B
BYUBALLIN
7 on 7 or 11 on 11, thats no the point i was making. The balls he was throwing where right on the money everytime. He seems to be able to place the ball in whatever spot he wants.
Advertisement
M
Mars
kitic77 wrote:
7 on 7 is not 11 v 11. Jake Heaps grew up playing 7 on 7 and simply tears up the drill because it's basically second nature to him. Heaps throws a perfect spiral and simply excels at 7 on 7. Bronco, Doman and Anae will not be basing their starting QB decision on 7 on 7 performance.

Strawman. Jake didn't dominate high school football playing 7 on 7.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
7 on 7 is not 11 v 11. Jake Heaps grew up playing 7 on 7 and simply tears up the drill because it's basically second nature to him. Heaps throws a perfect spiral and simply excels at 7 on 7. Bronco, Doman and Anae will not be basing their starting QB decision on 7 on 7 performance.

Strawman. Jake didn't dominate high school football playing 7 on 7.

Agreed. But let's also be careful to not put too much stock in his 7 on 7 performance.



Everyone knows that I'm in the Riley Camp. But I must admit that if Heaps and Nelson start fall camp like they started spring ball, I have a hard time seeing coaches not makinig a quick decision to go with Jake as the primary signal caller.
L
Lawboy
I don't care if it is Heaps, Munns, Nelson or Lark. Just want to see BYU win, and the guy that starts do well. I think too many people look at it as a Heaps v. Nelson thing, but I really think Munns has a shot at this too. I see Lark as the outsider now. Bronco knows what Munns can do, and has made reference to him in comments. Regardless, this competition reminds me of the late 70's and early 80's when many of those guys pushed each other to be better and BYU benefited from it. We have 4 solid guys competing for the job right now, and that is only a good thing.



We are young at many spots, but the competition will help those guys improve because if you want to see the field, you have to prove you earned it. I love having depth for that reason, and BYU has the most depth across the board since Bronco took over. And it is only improving.
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
I really think Munns has a shot at this too. I see Lark as the outsider now. Bronco knows what Munns can do, and has made reference to him in comments.

Munns has the best "physicals" of the 4- size, weight, arm strength. He's the most "NFL-like". But everything I've heard about him so far has to do with him being "really, really rusty".
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah, Munns was just born in a wrong year and went on his mission at a poor time of the year to come in and be ready to compete to play QB at BYU.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Did you see Nelson throw? I'm guessing that the QB cant run past the line of scrimmage during 7 on 7 drills, which eliminates 60% of Riley's arsenal. It's really unfair to say Jake is so much better. What a waist it will be of all those great receivers when they end up blocking for Riley all year.
F
Florwood
kitic77 wrote:
Yeah, Munns was just born in a wrong year and went on his mission at a poor time of the year to come in and be ready to compete to play QB at BYU.


Born under a bad sign

I been down since I begin to crawl

If it wasn't for bad luck,

I wouldn't have no luck at all
J
jonnylingo
What did munns do before his mission. did he go straight out or was he at byu for a year. i can't remember. doe she have a red shirt to use?
L
Lawboy
jonnylingo wrote:
What did munns do before his mission. did he go straight out or was he at byu for a year. i can't remember. doe she have a red shirt to use?


Munns already took his redshirt, so he has had a year of coaching in the program, and a year to learn the O. So Bronco knows what he can do, just has to get sharp and compete now.
G
gmj81
Munns won't do anything this year. He just got back way to late. The most important skill for a QB is timing, and it takes years to get that down. A RM who doesn't have at least 6 months home prior to the start of the season just can't get their timing back quick enough to be a serious contender for the team. Munns is a talent though and probably the most prototypical NFL QB on our roster. He could easily get drafted or picked up as an UFA without starting a single game for the Cougars not unlike Matt Cassel.



I'd love for all our QBs to get at least a chance to start or play in a game but that's just not likely to happen. I'm grateful to all of them though for taking a chance on BYU and helping to bring them back to the top. But the bottom line is when you want to play at a top school, there are always going to be players with a lot of talent that just don't make get their shot.



And I'm willing to bet Lark is not out of the picture just yet. I really don't think he'll start in the end, but I could easily see the reps getting split evenly three ways again in fall camp. He'll have had 8 months to shake off the rust and work on his timing while he only had three prior to spring camp.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.