Archived Topic

Which TE Gains the Most Yards?

by Mars · 7/27/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


Which TE will have the most receiving yards for BYU this season?




Devin Mahina?

Mike Muehlmann?

Richard Wilson?

Marcus Mathews?

Jordan Lower?

Austin Holt?

Bryan Sampson?

Matthew Edwards?

Chris Copier?
L
Lawboy
The thing I love about this list is that it is filled with freshman and redshirt freshman. This group is raw but talented. In another year or two, should be an awesome group, although I suspect one of these guys might move to fullback.
S
SpiffCoug
Two guys who I don't think finish at TE: Austin Holt and Richard Wilson.
J
jonnylingo
kitic77 wrote:
Two guys who I don't think finish at TE: Austin Holt and Richard Wilson.


Why not Holt?
S
SpiffCoug
I don't think Holt is that good. He's not overly fast and he's not overly strong. He was very similar to Heaps in that his parents had the means to send him to all kinds of camps to show off his wares. He showed well before his sophomore and junior seasons, not as well his senior season. His measureables just weren't off the charts. I'm just not a believer. Of course, watch him come in and totally dominate.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
kitic77 wrote:
I don't think Holt is that good. He's not overly fast and he's not overly strong. He was very similar to Heaps in that his parents had the means to send him to all kinds of camps to show off his wares. He showed well before his sophomore and junior seasons, not as well his senior season. His measureables just weren't off the charts. I'm just not a believer. Of course, watch him come in and totally dominate.


He was a 4* recruit and was #5 at his position his senior year, so I'd say he was good. Just not super fast. Speed was an issue with him, which is why he might make a great FB. He would be huge, a great blocker and has good hands to catch the ball out of the backfield. Imagine a lead blocker with his size, and our O-line. Seriously, we could play Bama ball.
J
JamieVallen
As I've said before and I will say again, I don't see Mike M. making much noise at tight end, he's ok at best. He's not athletic, he's slow, has chicken legs, and went down WAY to easily in high school, and this is coming from someone who knows him personally and truly wishes he succeeds. Prove me wrong Mike!
I
Isola
kitic77 wrote:
Two guys who I don't think finish at TE: Austin Holt and Richard Wilson.

What position do you think they will end up in?
L
Lawboy
I understand that TE is a key part to the BYU offense, but wow, 8 guys at that position? That is 10% of the schollies for 1 spot. I would think that at least 3 of these guys will be moving to another position. 8 seems too many. 5 better. Any guesses on who moves, and where?
S
SpiffCoug
Isola wrote:
Two guys who I don't think finish at TE: Austin Holt and Richard Wilson.

What position do you think they will end up in?

I could see both at LB, but I've heard that Wilson may not have the LB "mentality." So who knows. Holt could be a pretty good DE. I really don't know. I'm just not sure either are better than Mahina at TE.
Advertisement
Y
YBrit
Holt is the best TE on that list. PERIOD. He's big and has impressive hands, the best hands imo. A player listed isn't even a TE anymore, and another will always be a scout player or eventually leave. While on that point, a coworker who knows a recent transfer said he was never going to start at the position he wanted anyways, and that 2 freshman were almost immediately placed in front of him. Also, Muehlmann made the top 25 TE on my pre-season mag, Holt was #10 a couple years ago I believe.



Holt and Muehlmann are my guesses.
J
jonnylingo
Dont forget we have alani fua coming as well. he was debating on whether he was going to play tight end, defensive end, or linebacker I believe as well. watchgin that guy play against heaps on high school was insane. he was all over the field and a huge playmaker. as he puts on weight and gets caught up with d1 football he is going to be a beast. i look forward to seeing how his career turns out.
L
Lawboy
Some teams go for RB type guys, then move them around. BYU seems to get an abundance of TE type guys, then moves them around. If So'oto has a good year at DE, I could see that being a place some guys move to. Or O-line, if they can block, like Braden Brown. Just need to keep getting solid guys at WR and RB, Corner and Safety and we will be really good. We seem to be able to recruit the other positions with no problems.
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
I understand that TE is a key part to the BYU offense, but wow, 8 guys at that position? That is 10% of the schollies for 1 spot. I would think that at least 3 of these guys will be moving to another position. 8 seems too many. 5 better.

Mathews came to BYU as a WR. Edwards and Copier are walk-ons. Lower is a JC athlete. Wilson could easily play any number of other positions.
M
Mars


My thoughts:



Mahina- Size, skill, speed, athleticism, hands- I like everything there is to like about this kid.



Muehlmann- Reminds me a lot of Riley Nelson. He's an extremely hard worker, a leader, who makes the most of his opportunities. He runs good routes, has good hands, and knows the playbook. He lacks the size, speed, athleticism, and pure skill of some of the other players though.



Holt- I hear he is supposed to be everything that Mahina is, and maybe more, but he starts from behind and should be a little rusty and out of shape coming into the season. Given time, he may be the ultimate BYU TE.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Mars wrote:


My thoughts:



Mahina- Size, skill, speed, athleticism, hands- I like everything there is to like about this kid.



Muehlmann- Reminds me a lot of Riley Nelson. He's an extremely hard worker, a leader, who makes the most of his opportunities. He runs good routes, has good hands, and knows the playbook. He lacks the size, speed, athleticism, and pure skill of some of the other players though.



Holt- I hear he is supposed to be everything that Mahina is, and maybe more, but he starts from behind and should be a little rusty and out of shape coming into the season. Given time, he may be the ultimate BYU TE.


Looking at the player evaluations from when they got recruited, all seem solid, but Muehlmann was the least recruited. he did spurn Utah to come to BYU, so I love him for that.



I bet Holt redshirts this year. Just got back from a mission, has yet to set foot on campus as a student, so is behind in the learning curve that way.



Mahina is a beast and considered a great blocker, freak athlete for his size, good speed. But his eval said his hands needed work. If he sorts that out, I expect him to be the guy. And having him block on the line, not from a split, would be awesome.



Muehlmann was slower than the rest, but has a great work ethic and awesome hands, similar to Pitta.



Wilson is the shortest, but the fastest of the bunch. If BYU needs speed to create mismatches (FSU, TCU, Utah), he is the guy to do it.



From what I have read about these guys, BYU could actually use the TE on the line more this year and not split out as much like PItta was. These guys can block, per reports. Nice luxury to have with skill guys.
S
SpiffCoug
Lawboy wrote:
From what I have read about these guys, BYU could actually use the TE on the line more this year and not split out as much like PItta was. These guys can block, per reports. Nice luxury to have with skill guys.

Agreed. I think BYU will use fewer two TE-sets and the one TE we do play won't be split out wide nearly as much as the last four years. Pitta and Harline both spent a lot of time standing up out wide on the LOS.
M
Mars
kitic77 wrote:
From what I have read about these guys, BYU could actually use the TE on the line more this year and not split out as much like PItta was. These guys can block, per reports. Nice luxury to have with skill guys.
Agreed. I think BYU will use fewer two TE-sets and the one TE we do play won't be split out wide nearly as much as the last four years. Pitta and Harline both spent a lot of time standing up out wide on the LOS.

BYU NEEDS this (IMO) against TCU to negate the insanely quick pass-rush that tends to destroy our QB's pocket in 2.5 seconds per play.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.