Archived Topic

Kaveinga Rumored to Play in 2010

by snoscythe · 7/22/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Last night at 9:16, a user by the handle of 2112yyz posted on TBS's message board that Kaveinga had been granted his exception from the NCAA and will play for BYU this Fall.



http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=338&f=2511



I am very skeptical of this---if it is something BYU knows about, a press release would come quickly, and there is no way the press wouldn't verify. Additionally, that's pretty fast turn around for the NCAA in processing paperwork, but maybe it was just that easy for them.



Dunno. I'm hopeful but skeptical. I figure if it's true that he was granted his exception we should hear from BYU today or tomorrow confirming. I just wanted to post this early as a rumor to keep expectations in check.
C
craigoscarson
Like I said in the earlier Kaveinga post, it didnt' make sense for a D1 starter that wanted to serve a mission to wait this late and not have his mission call yet.



There was something there and I suspected the USC penalties would mean he'd be starting at middle backer for us in 2010.



This is really big. I'd have been willing to trade Harvey Unga to the pros to get a solid middle linebacker to shore up the D for next season; so win-win.



If true, I think 8-4 is our bare minimum next season instead of the most likely. I dont think 9-3 is out of the realm of possibility now.



Kaveinga is the run stopping beast that this defense needed badly.
L
Lawboy
For the sake of the 2010 football season, I hope Uona can play. He will be sharp and ready too. He can be a beast for us, has experience in some big games and could help mentor the younger guys, all things I love to see.
B
byutx
Sno, I think the opposite is true. With this type of situation there's not going to be a press-release unless and until someone in the press picks the story up and BYU feels like it has to say something. I doubt they'll want to publicize the fact that he'd be postponing a mission-not becuase there's anything inherently wrong with that, but they may want to avoid encouraging that among youth. I guess I really don't know-just a thought. Also, our sports information dept is exactly on the ball in general.
D
Ddawg
If true - Kaveinga being allowed to play cannot be highlighted enough. A solid, experienced anchor in the LB corps!!! Experieced, tuned up - a gritty aggressive D1 attitude!! This is monstrous. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this rumor - hoping it pans out. A BYU press release would be reasonable.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
Last night at 9:16, a user by the handle of 2112yyz posted on TBS's message board that Kaveinga had been granted his exception from the NCAA and will play for BYU this Fall.



http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=338&f=2511



I am very skeptical of this---if it is something BYU knows about, a press release would come quickly, and there is no way the press wouldn't verify. Additionally, that's pretty fast turn around for the NCAA in processing paperwork, but maybe it was just that easy for them.



Dunno. I'm hopeful but skeptical. I figure if it's true that he was granted his exception we should hear from BYU today or tomorrow confirming. I just wanted to post this early as a rumor to keep expectations in check.


All they are referring to is simple post by a blogger on total blue. no real credibility. i saw the links today and starting fist pumping in my office because i was so excited. then i read what they had and there was nothing to support it.... nothing. I am REALLY hoping its true though. I agree with craigo that i would switch him for harvey. with our talent at running back and how dependent our defense is on the middle linebacker, I think this is huge if he can come back. all the sudden our defense is in really good shape given he was around for spring camp and all summer and given the fact that he is extremely athletic. I am crossing my fingers.
C
craigoscarson
My only hunch about him playing this year is the timing of his mission. If a mission were to happen, to maximize the amount of time he'd be back in shape afterwards, you'd want the kid leaving by now (ideally in january/february of 2010)



To leave now, really handicaps him in the future (football-wise) ... again, I don't blame him if he doesn't serve a mission. His ideal timing came and went while Pete Caroll the snake-oil salesman sold him down the river.. Lane Kiffen wouldn't have been any better.



Uona was not on scholarship at BYU this spring (he couldn't be) and because he left USC, he couldn't be on scholarship and play this fall; so his affiliation with USC has still cost him. He could go back to USC, retain his eligibility and still not get to play in a bowl game because of their violations and subsequent punishment.



I don't see how the NCAA has a viable argument not to give him the same treatment as any other USC junior/senior to be. He wanted to go on a mission and was manipulated by the same systen that cheated college football. He wanted out and shouldn't be penalized anymore than any other player that played at USC and still had eligibility.
G
gmj81
Who knows if this is true or not yet. All I know is that the guy who's post most of these threads have started from got his info from a lot of well-connected Cougar fans over at TBS. I spent all night in chat last night and heard it direct from many of them. Again, I don't know if it's a done deal or not yet but they are definitely people who's opinions and whisperings I trust. Maybe Uona did get cleared but maybe he decides to still go on his mission. Who knows?



What I do know is that this one addition would totally solidify the defense IMO. JP and Kav could easily cover more than half the field themselves so the other MLB and OLB just need to stick to their assignments and we'll be good. But when you consider that the 'other' MLB could be Stout, Ogletree, Jorgensen, Beck, Leung-Wai, etc. and the other OLB could be Van Noy, Atkinson, or Frasier, that gets me real excited. We already know the DBs will be experienced, talented AND deep. And at DL, we've got Vic, Putnam, Bryson, Fuga, Manumaleuna, Richardson, Rowley, Fab, Fua, etc. all competing to see who will see the field. Basically, everywhere you look, we have a nice depth of experience and talent competing for the chance to play. This team will be very talented, both offensively and defensively. They have arguably more potential than any previous team ever. I can't wait to see what they do with it.
C
craigoscarson
gmj81 wrote:
Who knows if this is true or not yet. All I know is that the guy who's post most of these threads have started from got his info from a lot of well-connected Cougar fans over at TBS. I spent all night in chat last night and heard it direct from many of them. Again, I don't know if it's a done deal or not yet but they are definitely people who's opinions and whisperings I trust. Maybe Uona did get cleared but maybe he decides to still go on his mission. Who knows?



What I do know is that this one addition would totally solidify the defense IMO. JP and Kav could easily cover more than half the field themselves so the other MLB and OLB just need to stick to their assignments and we'll be good. But when you consider that the 'other' MLB could be Stout, Ogletree, Jorgensen, Beck, Leung-Wai, etc. and the other OLB could be Van Noy, Atkinson, or Frasier, that gets me real excited. We already know the DBs will be experienced, talented AND deep. And at DL, we've got Vic, Putnam, Bryson, Fuga, Manumaleuna, Richardson, Rowley, Fab, Fua, etc. all competing to see who will see the field. Basically, everywhere you look, we have a nice depth of experience and talent competing for the chance to play. This team will be very talented, both offensively and defensively. They have arguably more potential than any previous team ever. I can't wait to see what they do with it.


side note; You didn't mention Richard Wilson on your list of linebackers, and he's not cracking the 2 deep at TE. What are we going to do with this pretty phenomenal athlete?



(the answer is obvious; enjoy the depth, but I wonder how good he can be if he embraced defense.... this parallels the issue that Jaime Hill had with Jordan Pendleton as they tried to convince him that linebacker was his calling after 2 years butting heads with him at safety)
G
gmj81
It has seemed that Wilson doesn't really have a defensive mindset. So I don't think there is any chance he goes back to LB. Some have suggested using him at FB but that would be nearly as physical as LB so unless he can find his nasty streak he may just be tough out of luck. He could always go on a mission to space himself out from the rest of the TEs.



I want to see Richard succeed just as much as the next guy but this may be a case where you can't really find a place for a guy, even an athletic freak of one like Wilson. Kinda like Vic So'oto prior to this year.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
gmj81 wrote:
It has seemed that Wilson doesn't really have a defensive mindset. So I don't think there is any chance he goes back to LB. Some have suggested using him at FB but that would be nearly as physical as LB so unless he can find his nasty streak he may just be tough out of luck. He could always go on a mission to space himself out from the rest of the TEs.



I want to see Richard succeed just as much as the next guy but this may be a case where you can't really find a place for a guy, even an athletic freak of one like Wilson. Kinda like Vic So'oto prior to this year.


It is a shame. I wish he would embrace the linebacker position or simply kill it at tight end. I hope he finds his place.
S
scott715
What about Wilson as Safety?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.