Archived Topic

What if BYU got USC'd?

by Mars · 7/21/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


In 2010, USC will have a different Head Football Coach, Head Basketball Coach, Athletic Director, and School President than they did in 2009. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-southerncaliforniaad



What if BYU had to replace all 4?



My guesses:



New BYU Head Football Coach: Lance Reynolds (current Assistant Head Coach) http://www.byucougars.com/StaffProfile.jsp?ID=114



New BYU Head Basketball Coach: Dave Rice (current Associate Head Coach) http://www.byucougars.com/StaffProfile.jsp?ID=115



New BYU Athletic Director: Brian Santiago (current Senior Associate Athletics Director) http://www.byucougars.com/StaffProfile.jsp?ID=124



New BYU School President: Gerrit Gong (current Assistant to the President, member of the 1st Quorum of the Seventy [same as President Samuelson], BYU and Oxford graduate, born in California) http://www.mormonwiki.com/Gerrit_W._Gong http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2007-2008ucat/pdfportions/103admin.pdf
B
BerliNY
Those are the safe picks (promoting the #2 guy to the #1 guy is easy). Me? I'd show a little more panache, a little edge.



My Picks:

Football HC: Detmer (Totally out of the blue, instant favorite with fans, a big reach, but one that pays off because, like Mendenhall, Detmer will refuse to lose, and he'll take his Heisman and MIami Highlight film recruiting with him) ... and I want Mike Leach as OC and Rob Morris as DC.



Basketball HC: Danny Ainge (OK, there's absolutely no reason Ainge would do go for it, but in the school's moment of need, Pres. Monson calls Ainge to "call" Ainge to the position)



AD: Stephen Covey (think about it, it's perfect: he's a big fan, his family are all huge fans, he lives close to campus anyway, he's a great people person, and he when he's done he can write a new book called "7 habits of getting home-and-home's with USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Texas")



President: Yeah, I have no idea.
M
Mars
BerliNY wrote:
President: Yeah, I have no idea.

I thought you'd say Gifford Neilsen.
F
Florwood
Mars wrote:
President: Yeah, I have no idea.

I thought you'd say Gifford Neilsen.


I'm thinking the Board of Trustees ramp up attention on their school by asking Elder Holland or Elder Oaks to commit to a second term. Hey, if they could take off for South America or the Philippines for a couple of years, they could come back to Provo.



In the meantime, I'd be interested in seeing the Gong show.
M
Mars
Florwood wrote:
BerliNY wrote:
President: Yeah, I have no idea.
I thought you'd say Gifford Neilsen.

I'm thinking the Board of Trustees ramp up attention on their school by asking Elder Holland or Elder Oaks to commit to a second term. Hey, if they could take off for South America or the Philippines for a couple of years, they could come back to Provo.



In the meantime, I'd be interested in seeing the Gong show.

A- I had that same thought.



B- You're old.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Dave Rice would be a great coach. I don't see it happening because he's not LDS. It is my understanding that there are/have been non-member head coaches at BYU, but not in the money sports.



Football: right now, I would say Anae or Reynolds, but I would think Doman would be a better job.



Basketball: Ainge. Austin, not Danny.



AD: Santiago is probably a safe bet, but since BYU doesn't have a problem hiring people who were previous coaches that had violations in their programs for AD, maybe Harrick (former UCLA coach). I'm just kidding of course.



President: no idea. The BYU/Oxford grad seems as good as any.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
What about Harrick as Bball coach?
S
SpiffCoug
If BYU had the level of corruption that USC has/had BYU would only be making one change: BYU President, because at that point, the athletic department would likely be eliminated. Thereby making the need to replace the AD, and head football and basketball coaches irrelevant.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.