Archived Topic

Kaveinga awaits NCAA decision

by byutx · 7/20/2010

Advertisement
B
byutx
Could you imagine a starting LB corps made up of three 4-star LB's and Jordan Pendleton (3-stars as a safety prospect)?
J
jonnylingo
I am not going to get my hopes up on this one. I doubt they allow it. But man, if they did, we would have some real athleticism at the linebacker spot. I sure hope they do.
M
MTM
I would be surprised if they allowed it since he left before the NCAA sanctions were handed down.
L
Lawboy
MTM wrote:
I would be surprised if they allowed it since he left before the NCAA sanctions were handed down.


Why should that matter, really? Because someone left a few weeks before the ruling came down means they get punished?



BYU needs Kaveinga this year. I would be shocked if the NCAA denies this as they really nuked USC and have let players go easily, so why not allow him to play.
Advertisement
M
MTM
Lawboy wrote:
I would be surprised if they allowed it since he left before the NCAA sanctions were handed down.


Why should that matter, really? Because someone left a few weeks before the ruling came down means they get punished?



BYU needs Kaveinga this year. I would be shocked if the NCAA denies this as they really nuked USC and have let players go easily, so why not allow him to play.


He was not a USC player when the sanctions were handed down. He was released from USC in December. He had already enrolled at BYU.



I don't think the NCAA will recognize him as a casualty of the USC program as he had left 6 months prior that's all.
L
Lawboy
MTM wrote:



He was not a USC player when the sanctions were handed down. He was released from USC in December. He had already enrolled at BYU.



I don't think the NCAA will recognize him as a casualty of the USC program as he had left 6 months prior that's all.




If he sits a year, he is a casualty. If he gets to play, equal footing with the rest that left free and clear. It happened in the same academic year the sanctions came down is all I know, and he would have been a junior this year. So I would expect the NCAA to grant that waiver and let him play now.
J
jonnylingo
MTM wrote:
MTM wrote:
I would be surprised if they allowed it since he left before the NCAA sanctions were handed down.


Why should that matter, really? Because someone left a few weeks before the ruling came down means they get punished?



BYU needs Kaveinga this year. I would be shocked if the NCAA denies this as they really nuked USC and have let players go easily, so why not allow him to play.


He was not a USC player when the sanctions were handed down. He was released from USC in December. He had already enrolled at BYU.



I don't think the NCAA will recognize him as a casualty of the USC program as he had left 6 months prior that's all.


I don't think they will either, but they should. His argument is simple, I saw the writing on the wall, i am not stupid, I just left early knowing it was coming. I was going to sit around and wait. I hope he made that argument because if that had a part to do with his decision then I think it would be unfair to not let him.
B
BerliNY
jonnylingo wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
I would be surprised if they allowed it since he left before the NCAA sanctions were handed down.


Why should that matter, really? Because someone left a few weeks before the ruling came down means they get punished?



BYU needs Kaveinga this year. I would be shocked if the NCAA denies this as they really nuked USC and have let players go easily, so why not allow him to play.


He was not a USC player when the sanctions were handed down. He was released from USC in December. He had already enrolled at BYU.



I don't think the NCAA will recognize him as a casualty of the USC program as he had left 6 months prior that's all.


I don't think they will either, but they should. His argument is simple, I saw the writing on the wall, i am not stupid, I just left early knowing it was coming. I was going to sit around and wait. I hope he made that argument because if that had a part to do with his decision then I think it would be unfair to not let him.


Agreed. He can argue that the situation at USC was so bad that he was willing to forgo a year of eligibility just so he could play somewhere else. It just so happens that the NCAA agreed with him but made their decision a few weeks slower than Kaveinga did. I see this as a slam dunk.



Also, I just heard USC is giving Bush's Heisman back?!?!?!?
L
Lawboy
BerliNY wrote:



Also, I just heard USC is giving Bush's Heisman back?!?!?!?

They gave it back today. Same day reports came out that AD garrett, a USC heisman winner, got canned and replaced by Pat Haden, a 2-time NC winner while QB at USC. Apparently, they love their former athletes as AD's.
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
BerliNY wrote:
Also, I just heard USC is giving Bush's Heisman back?!?!?!?


Are they going to give it to Vince Young?
S
scott715
I saw the Bush story on Bleacher Report. I did not read it though.
C
crazycougar84601
tmoney35 wrote:
Also, I just heard USC is giving Bush's Heisman back?!?!?!?


Are they going to give it to Vince Young?


From what I understand from ESPN's college football live, USC is to remove all images of Bush & Mayo from the University and that includes USC's copy of Bush's Heisman. The downtown athletic club has not revoked the award from Bush.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
YBrit
If he was transferring anywhere else it would be allowed, but since it's BYU...







Can BYU go independent from the NCAA too?
M
MTM
Lawboy wrote:



He was not a USC player when the sanctions were handed down. He was released from USC in December. He had already enrolled at BYU.



I don't think the NCAA will recognize him as a casualty of the USC program as he had left 6 months prior that's all.




If he sits a year, he is a casualty. If he gets to play, equal footing with the rest that left free and clear. It happened in the same academic year the sanctions came down is all I know, and he would have been a junior this year. So I would expect the NCAA to grant that waiver and let him play now.


He's not a casualty. He transferred by his own free will long before anyone knew what would happen to USC. The NCAA rules stipulate a player transferring must sit a year. He transferred 6 months before any ruling. I think the NCAA will say 'hey, you were enrolled at BYU when the sanctions were levied. You weren't subject to USC's penalties. Sorry but you must sit.'



I have no vested interest in how they rule and it makes no difference to me. I'm just stating my opinion. I am curious, however, how those of the LDS faith feel that it has been suggested his decision to go on a mission is subject to how the NCAA rules. That seems contadictory to what I understand a mission is all about.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
Lawboy wrote:



Also, I just heard USC is giving Bush's Heisman back?!?!?!?

They gave it back today. Same day reports came out that AD garrett, a USC heisman winner, got canned and replaced by Pat Haden, a 2-time NC winner while QB at USC. Apparently, they love their former athletes as AD's.


I'm a big Haden fan. Good QB, rhodes scholar, intelligent broadcaster without being Christensenesque.
J
JamieVallen
MTM wrote:
MTM wrote:

I am curious, however, how those of the LDS faith feel that it has been suggested his decision to go on a mission is subject to how the NCAA rules. That seems contadictory to what I understand a mission is all about.


At this point I don't think it honestly matters when he decides to serve a mission. He obviously wants to and if he wants to do it a little bit later and play college football in the mean time then all power to him. (Like Tilavea) It's his own choice, and for my own selfish reasons I think it would be great if he could play now, but if he decided to serve a mission rather than play, then you know? I think that's just peachy too! but I also understand what you mean, and I don't believe that to be a reason to serve a mission or not, but I'm glad that doesn't have to do with me and it's between him and god.
D
Ddawg
MTM wrote:

He's not a casualty. He transferred by his own free will long before anyone knew what would happen to USC. The NCAA rules stipulate a player transferring must sit a year. He transferred 6 months before any ruling. I think the NCAA will say 'hey, you were enrolled at BYU when the sanctions were levied. You weren't subject to USC's penalties. Sorry but you must sit.'



I have no vested interest in how they rule and it makes no difference to me. I'm just stating my opinion. I am curious, however, how those of the LDS faith feel that it has been suggested his decision to go on a mission is subject to how the NCAA rules. That seems contadictory to what I understand a mission is all about.


Serving a mission - the reality is - if you are a committed Christian - every day you serve - the rest of your life. That sounds a bit hoakie - but I believe it's true.



One of my best friends was a full athletic scholarship student & he did not go on a mission. He's been on the High Council for 5 yrs. now. He is a solid & dedicated member.



I believe Kaveinga would really like to serve. But, whether he serves a 2 yr. mission now, or later, or serves his whole life - it's his choice & respected. It's all good & I support him regardless.

8)
J
JamieVallen
Ddawg wrote:

I believe Kaveinga would really like to serve. But, whether he serves a 2 yr. mission now, or later, or serves his whole life - it's his choice & respected. It's all good & I support him regardless.

8)

Simple and true.
M
MTM
Thanks for the perspective.



How common is it for men and women to go on missions at an age other than 19 or so? I know of several folks who serve later in life like retirement but is it common for someone to serve say in their mid to late 20s?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.