Archived Topic

Good BYU Story

by CannonCougar85 · 7/18/2010

Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
In the lull of summer I thought I would post this story and ask that anyone with similar stories to share theirs as well.



A few years ago I was serving a mision in Denmark. One day I was riding on a train and I looked over and there was this African looking guy siting in the seat to my left across the eisle. He had on a white jacket with the BYU seal on the shoulder. I leaned forward to get a better look and across the front it said "BYU Cougars" in all caps. So I thought to myself, "Black dude, BYU jacket, country full of blonde haired, blue eyed white people....gotta be American."



I leaned over to him and in plain english I asked "Hey, where did you get that jacket?"



And he said, "Hvad siger du?". In perfect Dansih he said "What did you say?"



So switching to Danish I asked him where he got the jacket and he explained to me that he bought it at the Danish version of Abercrombie and Fitch. He didn't even know what BYU was. I explained that it was a University in my home town in America. I then shared typical missionary talk...it didn't take.



The next time we were in town street contacting I stopped in at that same store just to see if they had any of those jackets. Sure enough there was a whole rack full of BYU jackets. I would have purchased one but they were $100.



Oh and in case you were wondering I never once saw a Yewt anything in Denmark. Not once. Denmark is very nice that way.
S
Schmoe
Hooray for the danish, especially the cheese one!
Y
YBrit
In Nottingham, England it's kind of a dodgy place in many areas, and a missionaries suitcase was stolen. The largest cities in England are populated by Afrikaans, Jamaicans, All Middle East countries, and India-Indians. Well, over the course of 2 days we saw: BYU shirts, a Jazz shirt, and a t-shirt with the Union Jack saying: England Birmingham Mission.



We would've approached them, but the missionary went home after a week anyways.



C'mon if you're going to steal at least wait a day or two to wear their gear.
F
Florwood
I lived in Saudi Arabia in the 80's. We weren't allowed to proselyte, but wanted at least to have a way to alert other members to our presence. So our ward got a lot of BYU stickers, and we all placed them on our cars. This was a little difficult for the Ute fans to do, but they did it any way.
C
CougarClaw
Only mission to Colombia, I was walking down a poor street and glanced into one of the many clothing stores nearby. This one was a sports store selling all kinds of soccer jerseys. There were jerseys for the national team and local soccer clubs but one in particular stood out and to thisday i still don't understand what I saw on that jersey: it read:



"Elohim"



Never saw it again after that



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
Back in the 70's and 80's BYU basketball and football was broadcast in many south of the border countries. The cougars became quite popular almost becoming the "hometown" team since it was broadcast by BYU and shown regularly.
C
cougarsunited
Something similar happend to me in Provo one time when I was a student at BYU :lol:
S
snoscythe
On my mission to Slovenia, we arranged for the missionaries to play an exhibition game against the Slovenia Junior National team. We showed up to the gymnasium for the game to find the place packed and posters all over that said "Slovenia vs. BYU."



We did okay in the first half (as in kept it within 10) but in the second half they came out to really play, and our absolute lack of talent or conditioning came to the surface as we got throttled--as the tallest guy on our team, I got to try and defend Primoz Brezec, while the rest of the guys had to deal with Beno Udrih and a cocky little sprite named Sasha Vujacic.



Probably the worst showing BYU has ever had in an international friendly. Thank goodness BYU never knew about it!
S
SpiffCoug
Sve su Slovenci slabi! Zivi hrvati zauvijek!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.