Archived Topic

McMahon Should be put in BYU Hall of Fame

by jonnylingo · 7/16/2010

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
The announcement should be made at half time during the washington game when they are all there :)



Just give some piece of paper he has to fill out to fulfill his requirements and then graduate him and put him in already!!
L
Lawboy
jonnylingo wrote:
The announcement should be made at half time during the washington game when they are all there :)



Just give some piece of paper he has to fill out to fulfill his requirements and then graduate him and put him in already!!


Here here. He earned being in the HoF because of his athletic contributions while he was here. I guarantee that LaVell would agree. It is time BYU does the right thing and honors him for how he elevated the BYU program and the exposure BYU's received since.
S
scott715
They could give him his missing credits as Life Experience. This could explain why he came to this event.
S
snoscythe
Meh. If he hasn't wanted it enough to complete less than 10 credits for a Bachelor's of General Science degree online in what is apparently the easiest online program in the world, McMahon doesn't deserve it.



If we were talking about some enormous feat of superhuman ability, I might jump on the exception band-wagon, but McMahon has had plenty of opportunity to meet the same requirements as every other person who is in that Hall, but he hasn't wanted it that bad. I don't think it diminishes his accomplishments one bit, and to be honest with you, I think McMahon likes the controversy that comes from his omission from the Hall.
P
ProV1
I can't wait to see his crazy outfit, bare feet and go-to-h*** sunglasses. It's going to be awesome.
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
This again?
S
Schmoe
Gotta agree with Sno here. If McMahon really wanted it, if it was really important to him, he could take the week to fill out online classwork and be recognized. If he doesn't care about it, why should anyone else?
C
CougarPeasant
I'm in the NO camp, at least until he finishes his degree. There are other star players who left short of finishing their degrees that should be in the HOF but aren't either.
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
Meh. If he hasn't wanted it enough to complete less than 10 credits for a Bachelor's of General Science degree online in what is apparently the easiest online program in the world, McMahon doesn't deserve it.



If we were talking about some enormous feat of superhuman ability, I might jump on the exception band-wagon, but McMahon has had plenty of opportunity to meet the same requirements as every other person who is in that Hall, but he hasn't wanted it that bad. I don't think it diminishes his accomplishments one bit, and to be honest with you, I think McMahon likes the controversy that comes from his omission from the Hall.


I am sure he does, but BYU is being a little uptight given the benefits he brought to byu with his play on the field and how incredibly close to graduating he was. I understand the principles behind not letting him and don't necessarily disagree with it. I just think they could make an exception when he is that close to being finished. That said I don't care that much. I think McMahon has brought a lot to the university through what he did on the field at byu and after. He deserves to be in the hall of fame. they could make it work if they weren't being so anal about it.
L
Lawboy
Last time I checked, university's give out honorary degrees all the time, and no one ever blinks even though the individual never set foot on campus as a student. McMahon in the BYU sports HoF would be a similar honor for his own achievements and recognitions he brought to BYU as an athlete. He eared it on the field. Which is what the honor is about. Athletics.
Advertisement
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
Meh. If he hasn't wanted it enough to complete less than 10 credits for a Bachelor's of General Science degree online in what is apparently the easiest online program in the world, McMahon doesn't deserve it... McMahon has had plenty of opportunity to meet the same requirements as every other person who is in that Hall, but he hasn't wanted it that bad.
Agree.



McMahon has said in the press that his sister offered to pass the online classes in his name, and he told her not to bother. Why should BYU change their rules for someone who doesn't care?
F
Florwood
CougarPeasant wrote:
I'm in the NO camp, at least until he finishes his degree. There are other star players who left short of finishing their degrees that should be in the HOF but aren't either.


Can you give a few examples? Not questioning your statement, just interested who they might be. Thx.
C
CougarPeasant
Florwood wrote:
I'm in the NO camp, at least until he finishes his degree. There are other star players who left short of finishing their degrees that should be in the HOF but aren't either.


Can you give a few examples? Not questioning your statement, just interested who they might be. Thx.


Luke Staley





Vai Sikahema left without graduaing, but paid the price and earned his degree after his career at BYU was over, then was selected for the HOF.



There was a thread a year or so ago on the old board on this very topic. If I were inclined to look I would
D
Ddawg
Lawboy wrote:
Last time I checked, university's give out honorary degrees all the time, and no one ever blinks even though the individual never set foot on campus as a student. McMahon in the BYU sports HoF would be a similar honor for his own achievements and recognitions he brought to BYU as an athlete. He eared it on the field. Which is what the honor is about. Athletics.


Here - Here!!!! Mongo likes it. Just do it.

8)
B
BYUBALLIN
I think everyome know how i feel about this. He should be in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the best college QB of all-time. IF not for injury i feel would have been an even better pro. HE is the reason i am a BYU die-hard to this day.
Advertisement
A
allcoug
I wouldn't put it past BYU and Jimbo that he has quietly completed his degree and they will be inducting him into the HofF during halftime. I was very surprised to see that he agreed to come - but you never know what LaVell may have said to him in private for him to just get his degree and be done with it. I have to think that LaVell is still (and the only) a very influential person with Jim - and I have no doubt that he may have done this simply at the request of LaVell.



Just a quick thought....can you imagine what it's going to be like at LaVell's funeral? I predict it will be a bigger event then any other here in the state of Utah. The number of people attending from the football world (alum, friends and competitors) will be unbelievable.
I
imuakahuku
allcoug wrote:
I

Just a quick thought....can you imagine what it's going to be like at LaVell's funeral? I predict it will be a bigger event then any other here in the state of Utah. The number of people attending from the football world (alum, friends and competitors) will be unbelievable.




BLASPHAMY!!!! OUT OUT DEMONS!!!! (OF STUPIDITY!!!! - not a crack on you just everytime I think this Dilbert and Dogbert come to mind). And whose to say he isn't one of the three Nephites or used to go by the John? After all he is quite beloved.
S
Schmoe
imuakahuku wrote:

...or used to go by the John? After all he is quite beloved.


I still go by the john at least once a day, and I don't feel beloved... :gross:
B
bostoncoug
CougarPeasant wrote:
CougarPeasant wrote:
I'm in the NO camp, at least until he finishes his degree. There are other star players who left short of finishing their degrees that should be in the HOF but aren't either.


Can you give a few examples? Not questioning your statement, just interested who they might be. Thx.


Luke Staley









There was a thread a year or so ago on the old board on this very topic. If I were inclined to look I would


I believe that Jason Buck also falls into the same category as Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke!!!
S
stuckinbig10country
Is it really so hard for people to grasp that a university would require a degree for a HOF honor? I doubt BYU is the only school with this policy.



He is 9 credit hours away. 3 classes. He has had almost 30 years to complete less than a term's worth of work. That's 1 class a decade people.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.