Archived Topic

FINALLY . . . It's Over!!!

by 1967cougar · 7/11/2010

Advertisement
1
1967cougar
Not wishing to incur the wrath of soccer fans and, not really sure which forum to place this under, may I just go on record as stating that thankfully the world cup is over. After one month of agony watching it dominate the headlines of just about everything, I'm so glad to see it laid to rest. With me, it has about as much traction of that insipidly stupid Deseret First Duel. May they become coffin-mates. I did not watch one minute of it. I did not watch one second of it. All I saw was the ridiculous human interest stories of that dumb noisemaking vu-vu-thingy.



I am open to take whatever onslaught anyone is willing to give to me. It still won't make a difference. I hate soccer. End of statement.
M
Mars


Seconded.
S
snoscythe
Another four years until we all pretend we enjoy watching soccer again!
D
Ddawg
I admit I watched - my boys were intrested. I was impressed. I have never - never seen so many drama queens diving, flopping, grimacing, groaning, complaining, whinning ........ good heavens!!! Cry me a river. I thought I had seen the "king of flop" years ago when Vlade Divac played for the Lakers. Wrongo bongo!!! He was an amateur. But! Now I know where he learned to flop & cry. Growing up & playing European soccer!!!



An interesting diversion ... for a limited time ... (if the USA is still playing). Glad it's over & football is 60 days away!!!

8)
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
There was a soccer tournament going on?
D
dank80
I'm not gonna lie. I actually liked it. I'm not sure how you can hate it so bad without watching a second of it?
C
CougarClaw
no problem with not liking a sport. but why hate? I wonder if you've ever watched it/ or understand the nuances behind it, or just never got into it.



Everyone I know that hates American football either never watched it, is turned off by the 'violence' or never had anyone explain the confusing rules and style of play. Kind of like how I am with Cricket and Lacrosse. But I don't hate Cricket.



But why the hate? Was your ex-girlfriend/boyfriend a soccer player who wielded a nasty groin kick to your detriment in recent memory?
1
1967cougar
Maybe "hate" is too strong a word. I should have said, "utter contempt and disdain."

I've been married for 30 years so I don't remember any ex-girlfriends. I'm kinda straight so I don't have any ex-boyfriends. I've never been kicked in the twins. I guess I'm just a warped person. I think I'll blame it on parental abuse when I was a kid.



Anyhow, I'd rather watch golf.
B
BoiseBYU
I' m not the biggest fan of soccer in general, but I am a HUGE fan of the World Cup. I loved it and for games of any sport I have seen, very very few match the US's last minute win in that one game. I look forward to the next World Cup!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Yeah, let's all celebrate that there's nothing to watch but baseball until football season starts again...baseball...
C
cougarsunited
The World Cup is BY FAR AND WIDE the greatest sporting event on the planet. NOTHING comes even close to it. It makes the Super Bowl and anything here dometically look like Saturday morning girls softball (that comparison acutally isn't all that far off).



I am sad it's over...
S
Sammich
You made one mistake in your post, I fixed it to more accurately reflect what you meant:
cougarsunited wrote:
The World Cup is BY FAR AND WIDE the most boring sporting event on the planet. NOTHING comes even close to it.

I totally agree and couldn't have said it better myself.
S
Sammich
Schmoe wrote:
Yeah, let's all celebrate that there's nothing to watch but baseball until football season starts again...baseball...

Although strangely, I also agree with this post. Stupid summer sports!
M
mraven
No offense, but soccer sucks. When scoring a single goal in 90 minutes of play is often enough to win the game, then the sport has serious issues. Not to mention the fact that half the time the stupid games end in a tie. A tie! As in, no winner! Huh? That's fun? I know that changes during the knock-out stages of a tournament, but really? Oh, and then there's the enormous amount of flopping, whining, and general writhing on the ground in fake pain, and it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the stupidity of the sport. But again, no offense to those of you who like it.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
This thread is in the wrong "football" forum :gross:
S
scott715
Hey the Tour de France is still goinog. Well since Armstrong fell three times in yesterday race, he says it is over. So strike that thought.
C
CougarClaw
mraven wrote:
No offense, but soccer sucks. When scoring a single goal in 90 minutes of play is often enough to win the game, then the sport has serious issues. Not to mention the fact that half the time the stupid games end in a tie. A tie! As in, no winner! Huh? That's fun? I know that changes during the knock-out stages of a tournament, but really? Oh, and then there's the enormous amount of flopping, whining, and general writhing on the ground in fake pain, and it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the stupidity of the sport. But again, no offense to those of you who like it.


Everyone is entitled to which sports they like. but your reasoning doesn't make sense. Are you telling me you didn't enjoy BYU's win over UCLA because UCLA didn't score? Or if you say that you did like the game because BYU scored so MUCH, what about Utah's 3-0 win over BYU? Tell me THAT game didn't matter because it was low-scoring.



Take baseball - a baseball "gem" refers to a dominant outing by a pitcher resulting in few or no runs scored by the opponent. But they still manage to fill stadiums who enjoy the duel between batter and pitcher and the atmosphere of the stadium even if a 0 run game is BORING. it's true that baseball doesn't tie, but holy crap have you ever seen a 15+ inning baseball game to decide a winner? Tell me that's more interesting than a tie, I dare ya!



Basketball - has JUST as much flopping as soccer since Free throws are a part of the game,and 'drawing a foul' is perfectly acceptable. In fact it's an 'art' and commentators regularly talk about someone who can 'get to the line' as doing their job. Same exact mindset. I think the only way the NBA could possibly flop MORE like soccer is if they allowed slide tackles on the court so we could watch these 7 foot giants go flying all over the place. yup. you heard it here first.



Hockey - often results in soccer-like scores but more fun because they get to hit each other going 20 mph with big sticks. it's called checking. =)



Curling - nevermind.



I won't try to convince you to like soccer, but I think you should be aware that soccer fans like me aren't just watching a drama with good athletic actors (see NBA finals) but a game with highs, lows, strategy, team-work, individual athleticism and arguably greater overall athleticism than any sport but water polo and the Tour de France (have you ever tried swimming or biking for that long with no break!!!???)



Couple this with the fact that it's also the only nation versus nation sport in the world adds a dimension to the competition that unfortunately doesn't give LA anything to riot about. (Remember US v Iran a few years back? North Korea v anybody?). Even if you still think it's a terrible sport, it's very hard to argue with an entire planet but by all means, continue if you so desire. :D :D
A
allcoug
1967cougar wrote:
With me, it has about as much traction of that insipidly stupid Deseret First Duel. May they become coffin-mates.


I'm just thankful that the unbelievably stupid Deseret First Duel won't be resurrected in four years.
L
Lawboy
700 Million worldwide watched it, including a staggering 86% of the viewing audience in Spain and 91% in the Netherlands. The Super Bowl does not even come close to that in the USA. Last year's Super Bowl was the most watched ever with worldwide viewing of 106.5 Million. The Beijing Olympics created a record, but the WC final beat it by a mere 100 Million.



Obviously, a lot of people care. Soccer rates a distant 5th or 6th in US sports, and will never breach the big 4, but it is gaining in popularity year by year. This will continue, especially as the USA team keeps getting better.

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/07/700-mil-worldwide-watch-world-cup-final.html
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.