Archived Topic

why cant the tix office ever get my seats right

by BYUBALLIN · 7/7/2010

Advertisement
B
BYUBALLIN
arrrrrrrrrrr iam so pissed right now. Second year in a row my seats are not what i paid for. Since i just moved form boise to provo i udgraded my seats from last year. To the prime endzone seats once again i get put in the upper endzone. Being 4th year having season tix and renewed on the first day i should have gotten PRIME ENDZONE not upper endzone. The best part i was charged the prime endzone price. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr iam so mad right now....rant is over for now....I cant wait to hear the box offices answer to this one in the mourning. :angry:
L
Lawboy
Did your tickets come today? How do you know where your seats are? I have tried moving up every years for the last 8, and it has only happened 1 time. And i am prime end zone as well. just means pretty much everyone renews, so no place to move you.
B
BigCougsFan
Well... They probably hate their job, which makes them careless. Then the consumer chews them out for not receiving the correct seats that were purchase, which makes them even more careless.



THEN they go home grumpy. Which makes their spouse grumpy. Then its night night time.



THEN they wake up super excited to start that whole process over again!



I would hate to have their job!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byutx
I don't know of a more incompetent dept. or area on campus than the ticket office. Perhaps some of the housing people and the road painting folks?
M
Mingjai
byutx wrote:
I don't know of a more incompetent dept. or area on campus than the ticket office. Perhaps some of the housing people and the road painting folks?


I found anything in the ASB generally incompetent.
Advertisement
A
allcoug
BYUBALLIN wrote:
arrrrrrrrrrr iam so pissed right now. Second year in a row my seats are not what i paid for. Since i just moved form boise to provo i udgraded my seats from last year. To the prime endzone seats once again i get put in the upper endzone. Being 4th year having season tix and renewed on the first day i should have gotten PRIME ENDZONE not upper endzone. The best part i was charged the prime endzone price. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr iam so mad right now....rant is over for now....I cant wait to hear the box offices answer to this one in the mourning. :angry:


This has nothing to do with the ticket office. It has everything to do with the Cougar Club giving the best seats to the highest bidder. And unfortunately the BYU season ticket holder is becoming more and more corporate. Just start asking folks in the lower seats where they got there tickets and most don't buy them, they are given tickets by a company (except for the the old folks in the west stands - they gave a few hundred bucks back in the day in exchange for rights to their seats as long as they buy season tickets each year - and the Cougar Club tries every trick in the book to take those seats back so they can resell them to corporations). Unfortunately the ordinary, individual fan (which now includes me - but I have lived on the other side a few years back), like every other big-time college football university, is screwing the real fans for dollar signs. That's just the way it is and it's not going to change.



Fortunately I've found a way to get AWESOME tickets to the games - but I can't give away my secrete here.
S
snoscythe
allcoug wrote:
arrrrrrrrrrr iam so pissed right now. Second year in a row my seats are not what i paid for. Since i just moved form boise to provo i udgraded my seats from last year. To the prime endzone seats once again i get put in the upper endzone. Being 4th year having season tix and renewed on the first day i should have gotten PRIME ENDZONE not upper endzone. The best part i was charged the prime endzone price. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr iam so mad right now....rant is over for now....I cant wait to hear the box offices answer to this one in the mourning. :angry:


This has nothing to do with the ticket office. It has everything to do with the Cougar Club giving the best seats to the highest bidder. And unfortunately the BYU season ticket holder is becoming more and more corporate. Just start asking folks in the lower seats where they got there tickets and most don't buy them, they are given tickets by a company (except for the the old folks in the west stands - they gave a few hundred bucks back in the day in exchange for rights to their seats as long as they buy season tickets each year - and the Cougar Club tries every trick in the book to take those seats back so they can resell them to corporations). Unfortunately the ordinary, individual fan (which now includes me - but I have lived on the other side a few years back), like every other big-time college football university, is screwing the real fans for dollar signs. That's just the way it is and it's not going to change.



Fortunately I've found a way to get AWESOME tickets to the games - but I can't give away my secrete here.


Well, you can complain, but our company (all 6 people in the company) shells out in a big way for our 12 tickets each season as members of the Coaches' Circle--the big $ those corporations are paying is what is paying Rose's and Bronco's salaries.



It's just part of being in a capitalist society where supply and demand rule the roost. It's unpleasant when you can't buy your way out of the upper endzone, but those people with the seats you covet (with the exception of the blue-hairs on the West side) are the people who are footing the bill for the overall program.
E
EM_Puma
Well this is my first season that I have not bought season tickets. It's a budget issue that will be righted next season, but it wasn't in time for this year, so for the first time since 2001, I do not have any assured tickets. What made this more plausible for me was that I waited just a bit too long last year to purchase and I was shifted to the end zone. Not to be condescending, but once you've spent several years on the side, going to the end zone sucked enough that I don't want to ever have to do that unless I have to. I couldn't judge well where they players were on the field unless they were down in my end zone. I hate that and being in the end zone, the playback screens were just a bit too far to see across the field or to look over my shoulder comfortably. The only thing I can understand is that those that endure the end zone do so because that's basically all they know. I'd rather watch the game at home rather than watch from the upper end zone (I was a few rows above the band). The worse thing too was that not only did I get bumped to the end zone last season, I also had to split my two tickets up where one seat was above/below the other. It wasn't worth it.



Next year I'm hoping my son is buying a pair, I'll join the CC again and attempt to get back on the west side. This year I'll go to KLS, Stub Hub or Craigs List and find some. The only game I really want to see this year at home is the Washington. I'm willing to pay to see that game from a good seat.
A
allcoug
snoscythe wrote:

Well, you can complain, but our company (all 6 people in the company) shells out in a big way for our 12 tickets each season as members of the Coaches' Circle--the big $ those corporations are paying is what is paying Rose's and Bronco's salaries.



It's just part of being in a capitalist society where supply and demand rule the roost. It's unpleasant when you can't buy your way out of the upper endzone, but those people with the seats you covet (with the exception of the blue-hairs on the West side) are the people who are footing the bill for the overall program.


Not complaining, just stating the facts (that you so eloquently confirmed) - I completely agree with you. I just get a kick out of people thinking that they, as a simple individual, can ever compete with the money of a corporation and then wonder why they don't get better seats every year because they are "loyal" fans. The Cougar Club (which I'm sure your company is giving that big money to) could care less about loyalty, it's all about who writes the biggest check and I'm fine with that. I know the game and I have "bought" my way into the coveted seats in the past only to realize that I can never compete with the marketing budget of a corporation.



And you're right, the money that your company pays along with many others is needed in this era of college football - so PLEEEEEAAAAASE keep paying the big bucks for your 12 tickets (It makes fans like me who have learned how to not pay anything for awesome seats feel better knowing that BYU is getting their money from somewhere! ) :P :P :P
S
snoscythe
allcoug wrote:

Well, you can complain, but our company (all 6 people in the company) shells out in a big way for our 12 tickets each season as members of the Coaches' Circle--the big $ those corporations are paying is what is paying Rose's and Bronco's salaries.



It's just part of being in a capitalist society where supply and demand rule the roost. It's unpleasant when you can't buy your way out of the upper endzone, but those people with the seats you covet (with the exception of the blue-hairs on the West side) are the people who are footing the bill for the overall program.


Not complaining, just stating the facts (that you so eloquently confirmed) - I completely agree with you. I just get a kick out of people thinking that they, as a simple individual, can ever compete with the money of a corporation and then wonder why they don't get better seats every year because they are "loyal" fans. The Cougar Club (which I'm sure your company is giving that big money to) could care less about loyalty, it's all about who writes the biggest check and I'm fine with that. I know the game and I have "bought" my way into the coveted seats in the past only to realize that I can never compete with the marketing budget of a corporation.



And you're right, the money that your company pays along with many others is needed in this era of college football - so PLEEEEEAAAAASE keep paying the big bucks for your 12 tickets (It makes fans like me who have learned how to not pay anything for awesome seats feel better knowing that BYU is getting their money from somewhere! ) :P :P :P


I only wish I could say the money was mine. If not for the company, I'd be sitting with the unwashed masses myself. ;) As it stands right now though, you have better seats than me since I'm being sent to Denver for the foreseeable future.
Advertisement
A
allcoug
EM_Puma wrote:
Not to be condescending, but once you've spent several years on the side, going to the end zone sucked enough that I don't want to ever have to do that unless I have to. I couldn't judge well where they players were on the field unless they were down in my end zone. I hate that and being in the end zone, the playback screens were just a bit too far to see across the field or to look over my shoulder comfortably. The only thing I can understand is that those that endure the end zone do so because that's basically all they know.


You might be surprised that there are some fans who love being in the end zone - if you luck out and happen to be in the end zone where the play is occurring during a critical time of the game (i.e. Luke Staley's touchdown over Utah, Andrew George in overtime, etc, etc, etc) there really is nothing better. The end zones are where the excitement is. I've sat all over the stadium and have concluded that it's hard to get a really 'bad' seat. Each seat gives you a different perspective, unlike basketball where lower is always better. The west side has some perks but I have found the fans to be very boring and are trying to 'get there moneys worth by being able to sit in a nice comfy seat with little distractions to bother them. I have come to enjoy sitting next to the student sections where people don't mind if you act like a fan at a football game.
C
CougarClaw
Mingjai wrote:
I don't know of a more incompetent dept. or area on campus than the ticket office. Perhaps some of the housing people and the road painting folks?


I found anything in the ASB generally incompetent.


I have a friend who applied for a graduate program at the Y, got accepted but turned them down for some reason, and then received a second acceptance notice from the Y a year later. At that point, he and his wife were in a position to accept and they did and paid the Tuition deposit.



When the University balked and said it was a mistake and they had to re-apply, he said no. You offered, we paid. Contract law my friends! and they let them in.



oops. Maybe this is how class size grows every year.
B
BYUBALLIN
i called the cougar club and they told me being a member would not help for prime endzone seats.
A
allcoug
BYUBALLIN wrote:
i called the cougar club and they told me being a member would not help for prime endzone seats.


That's because you didn't offer enough $$$$$$. Trust me - there PLENTY of great seats still available for the right price.
B
BYUBALLIN
i never said what i was gonna give. just ask if i gave money would i get better seats, he flat out said not for endzone seats. Iam not trying to be mean but the tix office people need some serious training. A girl tried to tell me only students are allowed to seat in the prime endzone. I ran a Box office for a minor league baseball team for 3 years, and it seems like the BYU box office people have no clue whats going on.
Advertisement
J
JamieVallen
Talk about the stadium needing to be expanded. I mean from what I can tell the seats have become so high in demand that I feel it's starting to drive up the prices and make it more of a hastle all around on so many levels to purchase tickets. I just think it's got to be close to at least Start considering options. Who knows they just might charge more once it would all be completed, but I really think they should at least consider 15,000 more. There's more money to make for byu. And trust me I've heard all the crap about Holmoe saying that we have to keep the sellouts going for like 15 years for them to consider it. This is where being in a bcs conference and having that bcs money could really come in handy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
allcoug
BYUBALLIN wrote:
i never said what i was gonna give. just ask if i gave money would i get better seats, he flat out said not for endzone seats. Iam not trying to be mean but the tix office people need some serious training. A girl tried to tell me only students are allowed to seat in the prime endzone. I ran a Box office for a minor league baseball team for 3 years, and it seems like the BYU box office people have no clue whats going on.


You are right, the folks in the box office don't have a clue. If you really want good seats call the Cougar Club directly and be ready fork out some cash (like 10k) for pretty good seats. For really good seats you'll have to plop down about 20 or 30k. Don't blame the lowly employees at the box office - they just take their marching orders from the Cougar Club. The Cougar Club (and of course the marketing department if you're looking to advertise) is where the great tickets are.
F
Florwood
Last year I requested and got moved from upper endzone to prime--effectively, from row 27 to row 5. I joined CC at the basic level to help the potential move, but don't know if that had an effect or not. Then I enjoyed the monthly meetings enough that I re-up'd in CC this year. We'll see if my seats stayed where I had them last year...



EM, I'm in the NE corner of the stadium, just enough of an angle, and low enough to feel close to the action some times. Just can't afford an extra few hundred to sit anywhere on the sides. Hope you get tickets you like to the games you want this year.
E
EM_Puma
Florwood wrote:
EM, I'm in the NE corner of the stadium, just enough of an angle, and low enough to feel close to the action some times. Just can't afford an extra few hundred to sit anywhere on the sides. Hope you get tickets you like to the games you want this year.


I guy I work with has those angle-type end zone seats and made the same comment as you. Last year was the first time I had watched a game from the end zone since I was at the Y in the 80's as a student and we used to get a different seat for every game. I had the Wyoming game one year where I was in the end zone, eye-level with the goal post cross bar. It sucked. For the AF game last year, my son and daughter-in-law bought me a great east side tickets and as I noted, watching the game was back to being incredible.



It is amazing how different the climate is for season tickets has changed since I arrived back in Utah in 2001. Back then descent west-side tickets were easy to obtain without CC membership. The price of winning.



I don't know what Holmoe will do about expansion of the LES. Was it 15 years of sell outs that he stated? I thought it was less. Nothing is written in stone. He would need to have the need and the donations and he would do it. Such an undertaking requires more than a few winning seasons and sellouts. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with RES in SLC after the Pukes jump to the PACwhatever. Will they finally sell out more than just one or two games?
B
BYUBALLIN
thats insane i called wanting to give money to the cc. The guys told me that it does not effect your seats in the endzone for the giving to the cc. wow BYU really needs to educate the people they hire.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.