Archived Topic

MWC Expansion 2013

by scott715 · 7/2/2010

Advertisement
S
scott715
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/411663-the-next-mountain-west-conference-expansion-june-2013

At this time, which schools have the most potential?



For a little while I was getting pretty amped about the possibility of getting Kansas and Kansas St. (possibly Mizzou) into the conference, but we will put that one on the back burner for the time being.



I have gone over some of these before in terms of the non-AQ schools. I would say that Houston is the closest in the MWC's reach. Nevada still needs to win marquee games and Fresno St. keeps the games competitive throughout but lacks the killer instinct to finish their opponent.



From there, there is some separation into the next small group of SMU and UTEP. If it were possible to take UTEP's fanbase that travels well, and combine them with SMU's financial resources and head coach, you would have the foundation for a long-term successful program.



SMU just needs to keep on winning and hopefully the fans will come (opponents fans filling the stadium up don't count). Their stadium is already designed to expand to 50k relatively easily if need be. UTEP is in too much of a funk right now, so I can't see that happening anytime soon.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.