Archived Topic

Texas Tech Football Coach Blasts Big XII

by Mars · 6/30/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5341756&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines



" First-year Texas Tech football coach Tommy Tuberville broke ranks with those inside the Big 12 who laud the efforts that kept the conference together and speak of a bright future for the 10-team league. In an interview Tuesday on Rivals Radio, Tuberville said that he didn't think the new Big 12 would have staying power.



"I don't think this conference will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams," Tuberville told host Bill King. "In the SEC, for instance, Vanderbilt makes as much money in the television contract as Florida. Everybody is good with it. Everybody is on the same page. Everyone gets the same votes. That doesn't happen here in the Big 12. We have some teams that get a little bit more money and have a little bit more stroke than some of the other teams. And when that happens, you're gonna have teams looking for better avenues to leave and reasons to leave."



Tuberville coached in the SEC at Ole Miss (1995-1998) and Auburn (1999-2008) before being hired earlier this year to replace Mike Leach at Texas Tech.



"We have a 10-team league right now, but I just don't know how long that's gonna last, to be honest with you," he said in the Rivals Radio interview. "



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



" Many of the Big 12's basketball coaches embraced -- at least publicly on Monday's summer coaches teleconference -- the idea of playing an 18-game conference schedule in which the 10 teams will play everybody twice. With 12 teams, the conference played a 16-game schedule in which teams played division teams twice and inter-division foes once... One coach, however, isn't exactly thrilled about the extended conference season. Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon said. Turgeon called it a grind and said it could force him to dial down his non-conference scheduling.



"As a coach, I think it's really, really tough. I was in the Missouri Valley [Conference] with 18 [games], I was in the Pac-10 with 18. I'd much rather play 16," Turgeon said. "Scheduling, you can get out and find you a couple more [non-conference] games, get a couple more wins and now you got a couple more tough games. Of course, our league is going to be really tough. I saw coaches, I know the Big East went to 18, it's a grind, 16's a grind. It's hard and then you add two more. It makes it really tough on a basketball team. I think our non-conference scheduling may change a little bit. I've always been real aggressive scheduling non-conference, we play a lot of quality opponents. That might change in the future. We might not play quite as many because I know I have two extra games in the league. It will be interesting, but I know it's tougher on coaches." "



http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4669054/turgeon-not-crazy-about-18-league-games



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



The Big XII meets again in August, and BYU AD Tom Holmoe has reportedly been invited to those meetings. BYU would have to be invited by Sept. 1 of this year to play in the Big XII starting in 2011.
B
BigCougsFan
Holmoe's been invited?



Did I miss something?



He probably has another Alaskan fishing trip booked at that time.
W
wildeone
Wait, according to who has Holmoe been invited??? I haven't seen anything, except over at rumorboard. If it is true....FREAKIN SWEET!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
Before we all get too excited, the following needs to be determined:



1. Is Holmoe really invited to meet with the Big-12 presidents (and who else is he bringing?)

2. Who else is being invited to the meetings?

3. With all the uncertainty surrounding the Big 12, do we really WANT to go there right now (answer is probably "yes", but hopefully Holmoe is at least thinking about the stability of the conference).
S
scott715
If the Big12 offers we take it even if it falls apart in a couple of years. We could always get back into the MWC or a new conference. And a couple of years of paychecks would not hurt.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
scott715 wrote:
If the Big12 offers we take it even if it falls apart in a couple of years. We could always get back into the MWC or a new conference. And a couple of years of paychecks would not hurt.


I'm not convinced.

We keep talking about all this money that will flow into our coffers in a BCS conference forgetting that Texas just forced its little BCS conference cousins into giving away huge pieces of their pie just to keep the conference intact. You don't think they'll demand similar if not MORE concessions from a former non-AQ school?



I could easily see us making LESS money than we currently do especially for the first few years.
L
Lawboy
First off, Texas did use leverage here. They have 2+ years of cost and development into their own network, which neither the Big 10 of PAC 10 would allow. Texas never really was going to the PAC10, and got a sweetheart deal from the other Big 12 schools. However, it was many schools in the North that presented the deal, so they must be ok with it, so the Big 12 upset is overrated, if you ask me. Add to it that Texas is about to become a cash cow like no other school and I think they will soon see that in order to not rock that boat they will need to keep the other Big 12 schools happy, and I think we will see close to an equal revenue share pretty soon. Texas has too much to lose now if the Big 12 collapses financially to not play nice. Estimates are that within 3-4 years the Texas Network will make them about $10M a year profit, on top of their Big 12 share. No way they forgo that for an extra $2-4M from the Big 12 deal. And since the Texas guys were clearly the smartest ones in the room, I think they get that. watch and see, the Big 12 will be just fine. Texas will have too much to lose if it falls apart.
C
CougarClaw
Lawboy wrote:
First off, Texas did use leverage here.... Texas never really was going to the PAC10, and got a sweetheart deal from the other Big 12 schools. However, it was many schools in the North that presented the deal, so they must be ok with it


If you mean schools like Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri who would have been left out in the freezing cold (read Mountain West here) if the Big 12 fell apart, you bet they offered a sweetheart deal.



Are they okay learning that their storied basketball programs are worthless and that their conference 'buddies' had no problem destorying their college nobility status?



Not only were they slapped in the face by football and TV deal reality, they were kicked in the butt by Texas and not just on the field. I agree that Texas is now exactly where they want to be financially, but they've surrounded themselves with colleagues they've slapped, embarrassed, out-negotiated, and flat-out insulted -- if they're going to keep the conference together, they have bridges to mend and no one likes a bully.
L
Lawboy
I agree. And while those other schools were the ones with much to lose when they made their offer, soon it will be Texas with more to lose. They basically played their hand to perfection, but now they are stuck with those cards. If they want to keep their newly earned winning, they will be forced to share with their partners. And it will happen soon enough. Will have to. And I think Texas is smart enough to know it. They already made concessions on taking money from the Nebraska and Colorado divorces.



http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/13474/texas-ad-dodds-opposes-special-deal-for-penalties
M
MTM
Lawboy wrote:
Texas never really was going to the PAC10, .


Thank you!



Texas to the PAC-10 was never really going to happen.



Utah was not an afterthought or the last option as some of you think. CU and Utah to the PAC-10 was the plan all long.

http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3592



Larry Scott tried to hit a home run and good for him. Who wouldn't want those 6 Big 12 schools to join their conference?



Frankly, I would've preferred staying in the same conference as BYU. When they were talking about the PAC10 staying at 11 and the Big 12 at 10 I was hoping Utah and BYU to the Big 12 together. Or I would've liked to see them stay in the MWC together and get AQ status on their own.



And I do believe BYU will end up in the Big 12 in time.
Advertisement
C
CannonCougar85
Mars wrote:
The Big XII meets again in August, and BYU AD Tom Holmoe has reportedly been invited to those meetings. BYU would have to be invited by Sept. 1 of this year to play in the Big XII starting in 2011.


Wait...what? Holmoe is invited to the meeting?
B
Brayden Green
MTM wrote:
Texas never really was going to the PAC10, .


Thank you!



Texas to the PAC-10 was never really going to happen.



Utah was not an afterthought or the last option as some of you think. CU and Utah to the PAC-10 was the plan all long.

http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3592



Larry Scott tried to hit a home run and good for him. Who wouldn't want those 6 Big 12 schools to join their conference?



Frankly, I would've preferred staying in the same conference as BYU. When they were talking about the PAC10 staying at 11 and the Big 12 at 10 I was hoping Utah and BYU to the Big 12 together. Or I would've liked to see them stay in the MWC together and get AQ status on their own.



And I do believe BYU will end up in the Big 12 in time.


Utah is another hungry mouth that USC and UW will have to feed. The U of U wasn't the Pac-none's first, or even 6th plan...
M
MTM
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
Texas never really was going to the PAC10, .


Thank you!



Texas to the PAC-10 was never really going to happen.



Utah was not an afterthought or the last option as some of you think. CU and Utah to the PAC-10 was the plan all long.

http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3592



Larry Scott tried to hit a home run and good for him. Who wouldn't want those 6 Big 12 schools to join their conference?



Frankly, I would've preferred staying in the same conference as BYU. When they were talking about the PAC10 staying at 11 and the Big 12 at 10 I was hoping Utah and BYU to the Big 12 together. Or I would've liked to see them stay in the MWC together and get AQ status on their own.



And I do believe BYU will end up in the Big 12 in time.


Utah is another hungry mouth that USC and UW will have to feed. The U of U wasn't the Pac-none's first, or even 6th plan...


Really? Then why not stay at 10 schools?

According to the Cougar Sportsline Colorado and Utah were already being mentioned in 1994.

I'm sure the PAC 10 would've loved Texas and the bunch but that was a pipedream and never had a chance. As Lawboy said all it did was give Texas leverage with the Big 12 schools.

The plan for Colorado and Utah has long been in place.
L
Lawboy
I think by September 1, none of us will care that Utah went to the Pac0. By then, we will have our own party to celebrate and can say we like our chances at a BCS bowl better than the Utes. And it will be true. Whether we stay MWC or go Big 12, we have a better shot at a BCS bowl than Utah. Simple as that.
S
stuckinbig10country
Umm...can anyone confirm that Holmoe has been invited to the meeting? I know of some rumors on the other boards, but this would be huge if it's true.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
MTM
Lawboy wrote:
I think by September 1, none of us will care that Utah went to the Pac0. By then, we will have our own party to celebrate and can say we like our chances at a BCS bowl better than the Utes. And it will be true. Whether we stay MWC or go Big 12, we have a better shot at a BCS bowl than Utah. Simple as that.


I agree that BYU will be in the Big 12 soon. (And for the record I believe they deserve to be)



I don't agree that beating Oklahoma and Texas will be any easier than beating USC and Oregon, however.



BYU may have a bigger fan base and put more butts in seats and eyes on the TV but you still have to do it on the field and, like it or not, since the creation of the BCS no non-AQ has played with the BCS schools better than Utah.
L
Lawboy
My point is that BYU will be in the North for the Big 12 and grouped with much easier competition for football each season than Utah(ISU, Mizzou, Kansas schools, etc v, USC, UCLA, ASU) will in the PAC10 South. Much easier route to the champ game. Only way that changes is if OU goes North, Texas stays south. Not sure that happens. As long as USC is good, Utah will struggle to get to a title game. And the MWC route is even easier.
M
MTM
Lawboy wrote:
My point is that BYU will be in the North for the Big 12 and grouped with much easier competition for football each season than Utah(ISU, Mizzou, Kansas schools, etc v, USC, UCLA, ASU) will in the PAC10 South. Much easier route to the champ game. Only way that changes is if OU goes North, Texas stays south. Not sure that happens. As long as USC is good, Utah will struggle to get to a title game. And the MWC route is even easier.


I see.

That may be true. However, I'd take my chances with USC over Texas going forward .
W
wildeone
Mars? Care to shed some light on this?
F
Florwood
33311710 wrote:
Before we all get too excited, the following needs to be determined:



1. Is Holmoe really invited to meet with the Big-12 presidents (and who else is he bringing?)


Anne Richards. In a straitjacket.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.