Archived Topic

Pac-0 Expansion Chose Teams 16 Years Ago

by YBrit · 6/29/2010

Advertisement
Y
YBrit
I was reading through my dad's old sportsline and found this prophecy.



Cougar Sportsline Vol. 15, Number 20



Dec 28, 1994 H.B. Arnett's



Which Conference for Cougars?



With the recent revelation that Colorado has been extended an invitation to join the Pac 10, it has brought to the surface again the topic of BYU and possible future conference affiliation with another league.

According to reports we have heard, if Colorado accepts the invitation to move to the Pac 10, the league would extend an invitation to a 12th member.

It is no secret that the Pac 10 has had a standing offer on the table to Texas for almost a year, but it is also no secret that Texas can't accept for political reasons.

So where does that leave BYU?

BYU's name has been bantered around by some talk show host in Pac 10 cities, but realistically, BYU will never be invited to join that particular league.

The rationale most often given has to do with BYU not being a nationally recognized research institution.

Quite frankly, we think that is just a convenient alibi for some schools in the Pac 10 to vote no on BYU should it ever reach a vote. From our vantage point, we think it has to do more with religion than research. It has to do with academic freedom or perceived non academic freedom. It has to do with not wanting the LDS Church involved in their exclusive club.

We tend to believe it has to do with bigotry more than books.That is why we think the Pac 10 and BYU is a moot point. It has nothing to do with athletics or academics.

That is also why we still stand by what we said all last year. ZBYU will never play a game in the new expanded WAC. If Colorado does bolt for the Pac 10, we look for BYU to replace them in the Big 12. With BYU not an option for the Pac 10, that means the next likely companion for Colorado in the move west wold be Utah.





1-Half the Pac-10 cities was founded by Mormon settler's indirectly and directly, go figure.

2-If they wanted Utah at this time (when they literally had achieved nothing in most sports) that proves the anti-sentiment for LDS culture is very bigotous and coming onto dangerous grounds that would in any other case cause a media blitz and all kinds of demonstrations....but since it's LDS it's okay...We've known this would happen for nearly 20 years.

3-BYU 59-0, The state of Oregon, & Kaveinga...you're welcome.

4-BYU will be joining the Big 12, so don't worry about it.

5-BYU will beat Washington, don't worry about the support U-Dub is undeservingly getting, they might as well be ranked in the top 25. With or without Locker, BYU will be ready.
P
PurpleReign
5-BYU will beat Washington, don't worry about the support U-Dub is undeservingly getting, they might as well be ranked in the top 25. With or without Locker, BYU will be ready.





What does that even mean? How are predictions/expectations undeserved (I assume that's what you meant?)? I'm curious what makes you feel that way. A lot of people are predicting our dawgs will go bowling this year because of the way they came together as the season progressed and the way they finished the year against WSU and CAL, plus the fact they only lost 3 starters total from both sides of the ball. It's not just Locker returning, a lot of experience coming back across the board.
S
SpiffCoug
You get HUGE props from me for coming together against one extremely poor team at home and another average at best team while playing both games at home.



I'm very excited to see Locker and his career 53.3 completion percentage. I'm hardly afraid of a QB with a career rating of under 117. I'm barely concerned with a QB who in career games on the road has completed 52.3% of his passes and has a rating of under 109.



Oh and his record in road games: 2-10.



So you can keep your Mel Kiper #1 draft pick hype. And I'll take the inconsistent, non-winner QB on the road in a hostile environment.
P
PurpleReign
What color is the sky in your world? You realize football is a TEAM sport right? Even Jake couldn't do it by himself the last few years, but things are changing and talent is creeping up around him.



You seem really arrogant and dismissive and quite frankly I don't see how that attitude is justified at all based on the facts, but you can think what you want to and spin statistics all you want.



I honestly believe it will not be the easy win you seem to think it will be.
S
SpiffCoug
I do realize football is a team sport. Which is exactly why I'm not scared by Locker. He's not efficient at getting the ball to his teammates (see his atrocious passer rating and completion percentage).



Talent is likely creeping up around him and Sark seems to be a good hire - much better than Kiffin.



I'm not sure it will be an easy win. I'm just sure that I'm not scared of Locker - at least of Locker in the passing game.
Advertisement
P
PurpleReign
He complete 68% of his passes in the last two games and had a QB rating of 129, including about 6 TD's.



I think he's a better passer than you realize. He made a big jump last year and I see no reason that trend doesn't continue this year.





A snippet from Athlon Sports:



Despite some early forecasts that the 6'3", 226-pounder might be a top-10 choice, he chose another year of development in Sarkisian’s offense, which looked to be pretty darn potent the final two games of the ’09 season, Sarkisian’s first in Seattle. Washington throttled Washington State and California by a combined 72–10 score, and Locker looked practically infallible. “It was awesome,” Homer says. In those two games, Locker completed 35-of-51 passes (68.6 percent) for 444 yards, four TDs and a pick as well as rushing for 171 yards and three more scores. Granted, the opposition wasn’t exactly Alabama, but it showed what Locker and Sarkisian’s offense were capable of. Why wouldn’t anybody want to come back to see how that plays out for a full season?



“That played a huge part in my decision,” Locker says. “One of the biggest factors in my coming back was the chance to be very successful and win a lot of football games.”
S
SpiffCoug
Locker's last two games he had a rating of 163, which is pretty good and he completed 35 of 51 passes. So yes, if that Jake Locker shows up, it would bode well.



Of course Cal was 91st in passer rating defense and 111th in pass defense and Wazzu was 112ths in passer rating defense and 115th in passing defense, so you would hope your QB would do well in those games.



But I will grant you that good players should make bad teams look bad. Perhaps Jake has turned the corner. Perhaps not.



The best news: we'll both find out in 67 days!
P
PurpleReign
Heck yeah, I can't wait for the season to start :D





Sark changed his play calling the week of the WSU game, he decided to not keep Jake in the pocket as much as he had been all season up until that point and added more designed runs for Locker into the game plan, and this really opened things up for the passing game. As well as Jermaine Kearse exploding onto the scene with I think 4 or so TD receptions the last two games, he should do big things this year.



I think the biggest difference is that towards the end of the season Jake said he started thinking less and the game (QB part) started to come to him quickly. Don't overlook experience. He needs to continue to improve his accuracy and consistency, but he has come a long way since his freshmen year (47% to 58% completion) and I think he can realistically get to 65% this year.
S
scott715
i saw Jake play a little bit over the years. I would say that he was not an accurate passer. However, Sark has made big improvements in his game. He just might show that he is a QB this year. It was a good move to stay another year to get ready for the NFL. I would not have taken him withe the #1 pick but I think he has better potential than Clausen from ND.
B
BigCougsFan
Sark is a good QB coach. Him having a couple Heismans on his coaching resume means something.



I expect the Washington game to be a good one! I don't think for a second it will be easy, but much earned.



I'm just hoping our D can off-set our offense, until they can get clicking on all cylinders.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.