Archived Topic

Let's end the rivalry with this. I'm all for it.

by taekwondave · 6/16/2010

Advertisement
T
taekwondave
Look guys, I know we've been together for a long time. I know. We've had some fantastic games to remember against them. I think it really is one of the great rivalries in the game, but you know what? I'm sick of giving an outlet to anti-mormons and BYU haters to spew their bilious hatred all over us. It really has gotten ugly and the religion thing has been at the center of it.



Look, start a rivalry with Notre Dame. Fine. Cool. Start a rivalry with TCU. Cool. Boise. Great. Whomever you want. But Utah, being SO close to home, it makes going to CHURCH even an absolute pain sometimes.



My hope is that we eventually become a BCS school ALSO. Whether we move to the Big 12 or we get the auto bid in the Mountain West, cool. I don't care. I don't want Utah holding that over us for long though. And LET them be in another conference. I don't care. It will make going around town less miserable. It will make going to church less miserable.



The University of Utah fans gain their identity by contrasting it with our identity. That is exacerbated by the fact that we play each other in sports so often. We have a very powerful identity that stands alone. There are plenty of other schools out there that can find a stronger identity contrasting it with ours but having someone that is so close to home do that makes these two valleys we live in a nightmare sometimes. I'd really like to make my peace with U of U fans and let Boise, TCU or some other school hate on us from a greater distance that doesn't so greatly affect our sacrament meetings and such.



Kyle Whittingham is a Mormon. And in my opinion, a good one. You know he holds firesides for the LDS players on his team? That's great! Let him bleed little drops of Mormonism into the Pac 10. Let the University of Utah Mormons be the ones that defend Mormonism for a change. As long as they're standing right next to us that might never happen.



Identity is a big deal guys. I know lots of members here from California and other states that claim they had a hard time coming to Utah because they lost that strong sense of identity they had as being the only Mormon in their school. Now they were just another one of the flock and then they felt desires to separate themselves in other ways. People do that at the U. But when the teams they're being compared with ARE NOT BYU then I am willing to bet that the unique flavor of Mormonism that DOES exist there will be strengthened as they seek to redefine themselves even in such a silly way as sports. They don't have to NOT BE BYU anymore. In a funny little way, they can actually be an extension of BYU, because that would be something they could identify with because it makes them different from any other Pac 10 school.



Now, does that mean they could take more of our recruits? Well, if the U of U became more Mormon friendly, then...yeah. But to be honest I wouldn't mind. Right now, the U of U feels like the flagship for anti-mormonism. But take them away from BYU and where is their identity? It will be funny to see that Mormonism is actually a very strong part of their identity and by taking the ugly sports rivalry out of the equation I think we remove an ugly wound that festers throughout the church in this area.



I for one am glad to see Utah go. And the less we play them in sports, the better, if you ask me. Play them once every three or four years. Sure. That way we can actually be friends most of the time. You know, by removing BYU from the equation, the U of U gets to know a little more about how it actually feels to be BYU. And I see nothing wrong with that. Let them be the weird Mormon school from Utah in the Pac 10. Let them be hated on for that fact and see if they don't start to sink their teeth into their own roots a little bit and begin to identify with that uniqueness a little more.



This change of scenery, while it might seem in the short run could be bad for BYU recruiting, may actually be a good thing for the church in this area. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping for the best.



Good luck Utes and good riddance. Now maybe you'll know what it's like to be Cougars even though you could never have been accepted ;)
T
taekwondave
In fact, come to think of it, I would LOVE to root for the Utes. I've never been able to because it's very hard to root for someone that is competing with you directly. BYU and Utah were competing for the Mountain West crown every year. Now they won't be. And how often do you think we'll be in direct competition for the National Championship? Exactly! I wouldn't feel compelled to say all the time, "I root for BYU and anybody that is playing Utah." I could actually root for both teams and stop hating on so many of my closest neighbors! Ha! This could actually be a GREAT day for me!



My roommate is a Lakers fan first, but he's a Jazz fan second. He's from L.A. so it's understandable. It was cool to have him in my living room yelling at the refs when they blew the whistle in favor of the Nuggets against the Jazz during the playoffs this year. We didn't watch the games between the Jazz and Lakers together. I went to my girlfriend's place for that. But he didn't revel in my losses and I don't revel in his. I actually talk up Kobe Bryant (not that he needs it).



How cool would that be to have Ute fans (at least some of them) over to our house to root for the cougars and to go over to their houses to root for the Utes without either of us feeling that by doing so we were betraying our loyalties? Ha! You guys may not like this but I'm starting to think I LOVE it. I can finally root for both of them because rooting for one wouldn't be rooting against the other.



You know, when I root for BYU, I sort of feel like I'm rooting for the church. (Sorry if that disgusts you.) But having Mormons on the big stage, performing admirably, and hearing about their missions and all that...yeah. I just love that.



Well....if BYU and Utah didn't directly effect each others futures so much I would end up rooting for the Utes for EXACTLY THE SAME REASON. Kyle Whittingham, a BYU grad, a returned-missionary, is the coach of the Utes, with this many returned-missionaries, and this many married mormons, etc. Sound familiar? Yeah baby! This may be the best day ever! I think I've finally found the silver lining here! BYU may have just duplicated itself by default! There's another BYU out their boys! They don't know it yet but it is the University of Utah :D
F
Florwood
You make some great, original points. I'd say BYU needs to wait until MWC AQ status or B12 invite to act on it, though, so we don't appear to be breaking up out of an inferiority complex.
C
CougarClaw
While I dont' believe there is political capital for this, you have my support.



And I'll also admit, part of my reasoning is so I don't have to add "we're BCS better than you" to all the anti-mormon and other drivel that gets spewed. Hard to fight with Ute superiority delusions when the entire Pac-10 agrees with them.
L
Lawboy
Yeah, but I would love to throw that BCS garbage in Ute fans faces after we beat them. Extra motivation for us is always a nice thing, and now we have it. Before, Utah always had that edge of something to prove v. BYU. Now, BYU has that edge mentally and emotionally. I want to play Utah in 2012 and 2013 when we are about to blow up, and kick their teeth in. And the fact is, BYU-Utah week is one of my favorite weeks of the year. I do not want to give that away.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
T.K. - Dave makes some great points. Let me explain where I am coming from. My dad got his degree from the UofU. My grandfather got degree from the UofU. My uncle got his degree from the UofU. I attended the Y, along w/ most (not all) of my friends & family. I grew up in Kyle Whittingham's Ward, went to Elder's Quorum w/ his dad, and liked them all.



I have never had bad feelings towards the U. Quite the opposite - I grew up hearing great family stories about the U. I have always cheered for the U's success - against everyone except the Cougs - we rule!!



That said - over the past 4-5 years, as I deal w/ my friends over this UofU vs. BYU rivalry - I've gotten sick & tired of their crappy - actually rude - even hostile attitudes.



Today, I spent the day w/ a good friend & business partner. He is a HUGE Yewt fan & he hates - I mean hates BYU! He is LDS & a high councilman. Odd huh? Today we were driving from one meeting to another when he got a txt on his Blackberry from his son - about the PAC-11 offer to the U. We discussed the "pro's & con's" at great length for the next 2 hrs. between business.



As we concluded our day & were walking to our cars - I turned & asked: "So, now that the Cougs & the U will be in different conferences - do you think you will pull for the Y's success??" He turned & real surly said: "No way!! I hate the Y. I would never cheer for them!"



I felt really angry as I drove away. My feelings - "screw the U!" Really! I am so tired of their crappy, hostile, angry, rude & snotty fans attitudes!!!! I am so committed to hoping they get crushed in the PAC-whatever!! Screw them Yewts - really!!!
C
CannonCougar85
Both of my grandfathers received degrees from the U and both of them died hating the U in the most bitter of ways. The reason? Utah fans. The fans that hate BYU more then they like the U.
M
Mars


Sounds good to me.



I'd miss smashing their basketball team twice a year though.
M
Mingjai
Amazing... as a college football fan, I would never want to see one of the nation's best rivalries go away.



It will be like the Penn State - Pitt rivalry, which died more or less when the Nittany Lions joined the Big Ten--the two schools played 92 times before the conference realignment and only 4 times since (none since 2000) because the administrations hate each other. Sure, Penn State has new rivals in Ohio State, Michigan State, and Minnesota, but I can tell you from living in the Big Ten that these are rivalries only because the teams play for a trophy--there's not passion involved like there is in Michigan-Ohio State or Minnesota-Wisconsin. And Pitt still has the "Backyard Brawl" with West Virginia, but from what I understand, the Penn State rivalry was just as fierce.



I'm a third generation Cougar, and the U is my rival.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Our new rival:



http://media.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/photo/boise-state-fiesta-bowljpg-2c838be9059f5e53_large.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



So who else wants to end our season every year playing Boise? Seems like a good fit to me.
Advertisement
T
taekwondave
Look guys. I know we love the Utah thing. I do. And you're going to think me crazy for saying this, but we're never going to be rivals with Boise.



And it's NOT because they wouldn't GLADLY step into that role. And frankly, I WOULD look forward to turning them into the new Utards, only having them reside a few hundred miles away but...that's never going to happen.



Stop worrying about the MWC becoming an AQ.



Stop worrying about Utah hanging the BCS thing over our heads.



By the end of this month, all of our frowns will be turned upside down and as upset as we all are right now is how happy we're going to be before this summer comes to an end.



You'll think I'm crazy today but you'll call me a prophet in a couple weeks.



Let me just say... I love you guys :D
F
Florwood
Maybe if we join the B12 at some point, we could have a great rivalry with the University of Missouri, revive that whole Mormons vs. Missourians thing. The game could even be played in Arrowhead Stadium, which is only about three miles from Independence...
B
BigCougsFan
taekwondave wrote:
Look guys. I know we love the Utah thing. I do. And you're going to think me crazy for saying this, but we're never going to be rivals with Boise.



And it's NOT because they wouldn't GLADLY step into that role. And frankly, I WOULD look forward to turning them into the new Utards, only having them reside a few hundred miles away but...that's never going to happen.



Stop worrying about the MWC becoming an AQ.



Stop worrying about Utah hanging the BCS thing over our heads.



By the end of this month, all of our frowns will be turned upside down and as upset as we all are right now is how happy we're going to be before this summer comes to an end.



You'll think I'm crazy today but you'll call me a prophet in a couple weeks.



Let me just say... I love you guys :D


LOL -- Yeah, we've been warned about those self-proclaimed prophets. You're not a frUte under disguise are ya???
C
CAFB_04-12
Florwood wrote:
Maybe if we join the B12 at some point, we could have a great rivalry with the University of Missouri, revive that whole Mormons vs. Missourians thing. The game could even be played in Arrowhead Stadium, which is only about three miles from Independence...

We could call it "The Extermination Order Game". It'll be great.
S
Schmoe
Let's be honest, guys, the rivalry isn't going anywhere. It's the one time a year that the Frutes sell out their itty-bitty stadium and it makes things in Utah VERY interesting. If it were up to me, I might say play it every other year, but the bigwigs will keep right on playing it every single year.
Advertisement
S
Sammich
Schmoe wrote:
Let's be honest, guys, the rivalry isn't going anywhere. It's the one time a year that the Frutes sell out their itty-bitty stadium and it makes things in Utah VERY interesting. If it were up to me, I might say play it every other year, but the bigwigs will keep right on playing it every single year.

Exactly. The game is a big money-maker, and just like money brought the utes to the Pac-10, money will keep the rivalry going, no matter how much I and others hate it.
J
jonnylingo
I am tired of the hostility but that is what makes the last game of the year amazing. .... when we win.
1
1967cougar
Let's end that insanely stupid Deseret First Duel for sure!!!
L
Lawboy
I think we need to play the game, but play it in September. Play it when Iowa and Iowa state play. Or when West Virginia And VT play. Or when Georgia and G Tech play. Those are the most comparable games because they are in state rivals that are in different conferences.



And taekwondave, the scenario you speak of sounds like BYU to the Big 12 by the end of June. You got some inside knowledge or this, or is it just wishful thinking on your part? All I can say is that if it happens, that is huge for BYU, huge for the state of Utah, and huge on a national scale. The state could boast something and offer something few other states can--top level football for 2 teams from 2 different conferences. The state of Utah would be CFB heaven.
B
BoiseBYU
Sammich wrote:
Let's be honest, guys, the rivalry isn't going anywhere. It's the one time a year that the Frutes sell out their itty-bitty stadium and it makes things in Utah VERY interesting. If it were up to me, I might say play it every other year, but the bigwigs will keep right on playing it every single year.

Exactly. The game is a big money-maker, and just like money brought the utes to the Pac-10, money will keep the rivalry going, no matter how much I and others hate it.


It's a money maker for Utah--but we sell out every home game do we not? We DON"T have to play UT to make money; Utah does...I say let them play WAZZU in November
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.