Archived Topic

What should BYU do now?

by stuckinbig10country · 6/16/2010

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
This is a bad day in BYU athletics. For close to 40 years BYU has been the dominant player in Utah college athletics, and in the blink of an eye, the switch has been flipped. Sure, there are still more BYU fans than Utah ones, but they get a big boost when they become Pac-10.



A lot of people have been saying that Utah will flounder in their new conference, but right now they are no worse than the 3rd best team in the league. Look at it. They are better than both Washington schools, Oregon St, Cal, UCLA, both Arizona schools, and of course better than Colorado. I still think they're better than Stanford. Oregon is a mess and will eventually fall. That leaves USC, and who knows what will happen with their probation.



If they start in 2011, they may make the Rose bowl the first year.



This suck!!!



So, what does BYU do to counteract this? Is there anything that they can do?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
I am not sold on this Utah competes right away garbage. Since 2000, Utah is 1-6 in games at PAC10 schools. Utah does great at RES, gets up for those games, but not so much away from home. We are a pedestrian 2-4 ourselves in that span, and I think we struggle to compete off the bat. It is tougher to win on the road in the PAC10 than in the MWC. And I actually think that conference is getting better, just as the MWC is. Utah finished 3rd at best in year one, but most likely around 5th.



They will get more $$$ than us, but we have a better shot at the BCS than they do now. If TCU and BSU both follow up 2009 with equally great 2010's, I think the MWC could not be denied.
C
Cougy_Monster
stuckinbig10country wrote:
This is a bad day in BYU athletics. For close to 40 years BYU has been the dominant player in Utah college athletics, and in the blink of an eye, the switch has been flipped. Sure, there are still more BYU fans than Utah ones, but they get a big boost when they become Pac-10.



A lot of people have been saying that Utah will flounder in their new conference, but right now they are no worse than the 3rd best team in the league. Look at it. They are better than both Washington schools, Oregon St, Cal, UCLA, both Arizona schools, and of course better than Colorado. I still think they're better than Stanford. Oregon is a mess and will eventually fall. That leaves USC, and who knows what will happen with their probation.



If they start in 2011, they may make the Rose bowl the first year.



This suck!!!



So, what does BYU do to counteract this? Is there anything that they can do?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Pummel the yewts every year.
S
stuckinbig10country
Cougy_Monster wrote:



Pummel the yewts every year.


Good point. I was hoping for a plan of action, but that works.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CannonCougar85
stuckinbig10country wrote:



Pummel the yewts every year.


Good point. I was hoping for a plan of action, but that works.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


We need to pummel them every year but especially THIS year in SLC. It'll make all the band wagon pUke fans shutup for 10 seconds at least.
Advertisement
M
MTM
Lawboy wrote:
Since 2000, Utah is 1-6 in games at PAC10 schools.


Utah is 8-8 against the PAC-10 since 2000.
C
CannonCougar85
MTM wrote:
Since 2000, Utah is 1-6 in games at PAC10 schools.



They will get more $$$ than us, but we have a better shot at the BCS than they do now. If TCU and BSU both follow up 2009 with equally great 2010's, I think the MWC could not be denied.


Utah is 8-8 against the PAC-10 since 2000.


Lawboy is referring to Utah's record against the PAC on the road. "at PAC10 schools."
M
MTM
CannonCougar85 wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
Since 2000, Utah is 1-6 in games at PAC10 schools.



They will get more $$$ than us, but we have a better shot at the BCS than they do now. If TCU and BSU both follow up 2009 with equally great 2010's, I think the MWC could not be denied.


Utah is 8-8 against the PAC-10 since 2000.


Lawboy is referring to Utah's record against the PAC on the road. "at PAC10 schools."


Fair enough.
L
Lawboy
1-6 on road, 5-1 at home, 2-0 neutral. Which leads me to believe Utah is a middle of the PAC school in that conference. That is not horrible, but not BCS either. Until Utah wins consistently away from RES, it stays that way, too. And Utah struggled away from RES in the big games in the MWC, so I do not see it personally.



After 2012, BYU sees the BCS more frequently than Utah does. So Utah gets more $$$, but less success.
B
BoiseBYU
So does your attorney general do a quick 180 and decide the BCS does not violate the antitrust laws? Or proceed with that which he has declared is his belief?
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
BoiseBYU wrote:
So does your attorney general do a quick 180 and decide the BCS does not violate the antitrust laws? Or proceed with that which he has declared is his belief?


Good question. He is LDS, and has a BYU undergrad degree, but a U law degree. he could go either way on this one. Orrin Hatch is also a BYU undergrad. So those guys both have BYU connections.
G
Guest
Lawboy wrote:
So does your attorney general do a quick 180 and decide the BCS does not violate the antitrust laws? Or proceed with that which he has declared is his belief?


Good question. He is LDS, and has a BYU undergrad degree, but a U law degree. he could go either way on this one. Orrin Hatch is also a BYU undergrad. So those guys both have BYU connections.


I'm pretty sure both are solid BYU fans.
N
northerncougar
Okay, everyone take a deep breath and relax for a minute. We are going to be just fine. There are so many Ute fans right now who are sure they are winning the NC every other year, and so many BYU fans who have decided that there is no point in even trying anymore. The truth is much more in the middle.



1. Playing a conference schedule on the road is much more difficult than playing a team once in a while. Playing OSU, USC, UW, etc. in the beginning of November when the game has conference implications is significantly more difficult than the current situation with the Pac10. They will not go into the Pac12 and win the conf each year. They won't go in and win the first year. Being a UW fan before coming to BYU, I still follow them and love what Sark is doing up there. They are on their way back and will be very, very good in the coming years. At a minimum, the pukes will struggle with UW, OSU, Stanford and UCLA. Games against AZ, ASU and OR could go either way. WSU and Colorado will be easy wins. 2 easy wins per year. Not much to worry about.



2. BYU's recruiting base is very different than Utah's. In state won't change much, if at all. Kids here grow up with a strong allegiance to one of the schools. How many kids have you heard in the last 10 years say, "I am going to BYU, but if Utah was in a BCS conference, I would definitely go there." I have lived here for 21 years and I have yet to hear a single person say that. In state or out. I have heard of a few out of state recruits say that they are coming to Utah because they have played in a BCS game twice. When Utah hasn't been there for 5 years, you won't be hearing that anymore.



3. The MWC will take a step back with Utah leaving (BCS numbers wise) and will take a step forward with BSU joining, leaving us where we were before. If Utah doesn't go until the 2012 season, we keep all their numbers for the BCS consideration. If the MWC becomes an AQ conf in 2012, we will be the ones laughing all the way to the bank.



4. I watched everyone of Utah's games in 2004 and 2008, and for the most part every one of their games since coming to BYU in 1989. The 2004 team is one of the best I have ever seen anywhere. The 2004 would have destroyed the 2008 team. If the pukes had been in the pac10 in 2008, not a chance they go to a BCS game. They had way too many close games with MWC teams. Not a chance they win the Pac10 that year. Not a chance.



5. For me, I think the huge upside is that the rivalry will dampen some. I live in Davis County and it has gotten so bad that I don't want to be around my neighbors for a couple weeks a year. I hope that the nastiness dies down some.



For me this isn't the end of the world for BYU football. We can't even see it from her. Things are going to be okay.
T
ttribe
stuckinbig10country wrote:
If they start in 2011, they may make the Rose bowl the first year.

I wouldn't count on that.
S
SpiffCoug
ttribe wrote:
If they start in 2011, they may make the Rose bowl the first year.

I wouldn't count on that.

Colorado isn't joining til 2012.
Advertisement
T
ttribe
kitic77 wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
If they start in 2011, they may make the Rose bowl the first year.

I wouldn't count on that.

Colorado isn't joining til 2012.

Regardless, I think Utah will find an entire season in the PAC more difficult than the typical fan is anticipating at this point.
S
SpiffCoug
ttribe wrote:
ttribe wrote:
If they start in 2011, they may make the Rose bowl the first year.

I wouldn't count on that.

Colorado isn't joining til 2012.

Regardless, I think Utah will find an entire season in the PAC more difficult than the typical fan is anticipating at this point.

Completely agree. I was just trying to point out that I imagine Utah won't move to the PAC-10 until Colorado does in 2012.



But yeah, if Ute fans think it'll be a smooth transition and they'll be competing for the league title every year, like they are in the MWC, they're sorely mistaken.
S
StatsCougar
Anyone think that utah will tell the pac-10 no, and bank and the MWC becoming a AQ? I doubt it, but I would have to give the Utes some respect if they did.
V
vancouvercougar
northerncougar wrote:

1. Playing a conference schedule on the road is much more difficult than playing a team once in a while. Playing OSU, USC, UW, etc. in the beginning of November when the game has conference implications is significantly more difficult than the current situation with the Pac10. They will not go into the Pac12 and win the conf each year. They won't go in and win the first year. Being a UW fan before coming to BYU, I still follow them and love what Sark is doing up there. They are on their way back and will be very, very good in the coming years. At a minimum, the pukes will struggle with UW, OSU, Stanford and UCLA. Games against AZ, ASU and OR could go either way. WSU and Colorado will be easy wins. 2 easy wins per year. Not much to worry about.

.




:utard: will have to play PAC10-12 teams each week. That will be tough. They won't have UNLV to kick around---wait didn't UNLV shut out :utard: a couple of years ago?
B
blue42
BoiseBYU wrote:
So does your attorney general do a quick 180 and decide the BCS does not violate the antitrust laws? Or proceed with that which he has declared is his belief?


Mark Shurtleff, Utah's AG has already said in an article on ESPN today that he will not back down with his fight against the BCS. How poetic would this be, the frUtes go to a BSC conference for the $$$ and the BCS gets broken up as an anticompetitive entity and therefore no big $ payouts. :D
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.