Archived Topic

Can Kaveinga play in 2010?

by Lawboy · 6/11/2010

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Just announced that USC juniors and seniors can transfer without penalty and play in 2010. Schools can petition for kids to get a waiver for kids who started at USC and are now in their junior year. This could be HUGE!



Also, schools can actually initiate contact with USC players to lure them away.



"The second school would have to submit a waiver asking to waive the year in residence, but NCAA rules allow for this waiver to be granted if a student-athlete's first school has a postseason ban in their sport," NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said in an e-mail to ESPN's Joe Schad.



The rule does not apply to freshman who have signed national letters of intent, however. But schools with an interest in a USC junior or senior are allowed to initiate contact with the player, Osburn said.



USC is dead in the water if they lose some top guys. This will kill them more than anything else, potentially.



http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5275644
C
CougarPeasant
Isn't he going on a mission? So it's moot if he is. (Last I heard is his papers are in.)



However, Havili could transfer and that would solve our losing Unga instantly.



There's another LDS player BYU recruited and lost out on who's a back up on the Dline, he could transfer and probably earn playing time as well.
D
Ddawg
Wowzi!!! This is really big. This will cut the legs right out from under USC for years to come. I hope this NCAA rule allows Keveinga to play. They may say - "No, he transferred before the penalties were imposed." I hope that's not the case!!!!

8)
L
Lawboy
CougarPeasant wrote:
Isn't he going on a mission? So it's moot if he is. (Last I heard is his papers are in.)



However, Havili could transfer and that would solve our losing Unga instantly.



There's another LDS player BYU recruited and lost out on who's a back up on the Dline, he could transfer and probably earn playing time as well.


If Kaveinga was able to play, I suspect the mission might wait. Who knows though. We defintely need a MLB, that is certain. He and Stout would rock the interior together.
C
CougarPeasant
Lawboy wrote:
Isn't he going on a mission? So it's moot if he is. (Last I heard is his papers are in.)



However, Havili could transfer and that would solve our losing Unga instantly.



There's another LDS player BYU recruited and lost out on who's a back up on the Dline, he could transfer and probably earn playing time as well.


If Kaveinga was able to play, I suspect the mission might wait. Who knows though. We defintely need a MLB, that is certain. He and Stout would rock the interior together.


Agreed 100%, we'd be solid gold. Yet, I suspect he will still go, though I have no personal knowledge to base that on. He left USC with the intention of serving a mission, so I see it hard for him to change his mind at this time.
Advertisement
G
gmj81
Kaveinga didn't transfer to BYU solely for PT purposes. And it would look really bad if he decided to cancel his mission now (papers are already in) for football reasons. As I recall, Sisters can quit their mission anytime they want and do so honorably. But Elders have to have some serious medical or psychological reasoning for cutting their mission short. I'm not sure when that timeline starts... is it once the mission papers are in or is it once they enter the MTC? I don't know.



No, Kavienga isn't going to change his mind. But we still have ties to Christian Tupou (Jr) and Stanley Havili (Sr). Tupou would be well served by transferring out. He has to sit out a year anyway due to a gimp knee. I'm guessing most of the Jr's and Sr's are going to be jumping ship, so even if he did stick around, he'd likely be playing for a sub .500 team with no postseason potential. Good luck getting noticed by the NFL then. Havili might feel like it would be a little too late to jump ship now but given the news about Harvey, he could come in right away and make a big splash at BYU. Not only would he go a long way to making Heaps for a lot more comfortable, but he would finally get to tote the rock for a change too. It's mutually beneficial!
L
Lawboy
As I recall, BYU had a player defer his mission for a while so he could play in 2009, so it is not unheard or, or unhonorable. And the player is in the field now--Russell Tialavea. So it is possible.
S
scott715
He wants to play in the NFL someday. The time to serve is now. Actually he needs to leave now if he has not left yet.
G
gmj81
Lawboy wrote:
As I recall, BYU had a player defer his mission for a while so he could play in 2009, so it is not unheard or, or unhonorable. And the player is in the field now--Russell Tialavea. So it is possible.


Russell Tialevea delayed because he sent his papers in and as I recall, the church took quite a while to process them so while he was expecting to be gone before the season started (so that he would at least have one year of eligibility left when he returned), his MTC entrance date wasn't until late November. So the church pushed it back a month so he could at least play and not lose his final year of eligibility.



I think there was some weight issues too which is why the church may have taken so long to process. They aren't letting anybody over 300 lbs go out anymore. That's why Russ played so much leaner his senior year.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
Isn't he going on a mission? So it's moot if he is. (Last I heard is his papers are in.)



However, Havili could transfer and that would solve our losing Unga instantly.



There's another LDS player BYU recruited and lost out on who's a back up on the Dline, he could transfer and probably earn playing time as well.


If Kaveinga was able to play, I suspect the mission might wait. Who knows though. We defintely need a MLB, that is certain. He and Stout would rock the interior together.


I don't know about that. The big reason behind his transfer was that Carroll wasn't going to hold his schollie if he went on a mission. I don't think this changes any mission plans.
Advertisement
C
cscoug
gmj81 wrote:

Havili might feel like it would be a little too late to jump ship now but given the news about Harvey, he could come in right away and make a big splash at BYU. Not only would he go a long way to making Heaps for a lot more comfortable, but he would finally get to tote the rock for a change too. It's mutually beneficial!


I don't see Bronco pursuing Havili or any USC player for that matter. I think that he would argue against the principal. He wants players that want to be at BYU--not players that feel like better options aren't working out. If Havili had come to Bronco before these sanctions, as Kavienga did, then I think that it would be a different story.
U
urroner
cscoug wrote:
I don't see Bronco pursuing Havili or any USC player for that matter. I think that he would argue against the principal. He wants players that want to be at BYU--not players that feel like better options aren't working out. If Havili had come to Bronco before these sanctions, as Kavienga did, then I think that it would be a different story.


I think that Bronco will do it on a case by case basis. Maybe there are good reasons why Havili or other USC players didn't desert the sinking ship.
C
CannonCougar85
cscoug wrote:

Havili might feel like it would be a little too late to jump ship now but given the news about Harvey, he could come in right away and make a big splash at BYU. Not only would he go a long way to making Heaps for a lot more comfortable, but he would finally get to tote the rock for a change too. It's mutually beneficial!


I don't see Bronco pursuing Havili or any USC player for that matter. I think that he would argue against the principal. He wants players that want to be at BYU--not players that feel like better options aren't working out. If Havili had come to Bronco before these sanctions, as Kavienga did, then I think that it would be a different story.


I agree with this statement entirely in that I doubt Bronco will pursue anybody from USC. That being said if a USC player came to Bronco I don't think there would be much hesitation in accepting the players transfer.
U
urroner
CannonCougar85 wrote:
I agree with this statement entirely in that I doubt Bronco will pursue anybody from USC. That being said if a USC player came to Bronco I don't think there would be much hesitation in accepting the players transfer.


I like what you said better than what I said. I just might go back and edit what I said to make it look like I said what you just said before you said it. :whistle:
C
craigoscarson
cscoug wrote:

Havili might feel like it would be a little too late to jump ship now but given the news about Harvey, he could come in right away and make a big splash at BYU. Not only would he go a long way to making Heaps for a lot more comfortable, but he would finally get to tote the rock for a change too. It's mutually beneficial!


I don't see Bronco pursuing Havili or any USC player for that matter. I think that he would argue against the principal. He wants players that want to be at BYU--not players that feel like better options aren't working out. If Havili had come to Bronco before these sanctions, as Kavienga did, then I think that it would be a different story.




If a players decision to chose USC was based on lies and deception; I think it's easy to assume that under different circumstances that they may have reaized BYU was the better choice.

These kids were lied to.. and are having their bowl and college experience wrecked due to the deceit of others.



Bringing in USC players would be an act of mercy right now; and it makes all the sense in the world.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
CannonCougar85 wrote:
gmj81 wrote:

Havili might feel like it would be a little too late to jump ship now but given the news about Harvey, he could come in right away and make a big splash at BYU. Not only would he go a long way to making Heaps for a lot more comfortable, but he would finally get to tote the rock for a change too. It's mutually beneficial!


I don't see Bronco pursuing Havili or any USC player for that matter. I think that he would argue against the principal. He wants players that want to be at BYU--not players that feel like better options aren't working out. If Havili had come to Bronco before these sanctions, as Kavienga did, then I think that it would be a different story.


I agree with this statement entirely in that I doubt Bronco will pursue anybody from USC. That being said if a USC player came to Bronco I don't think there would be much hesitation in accepting the players transfer.


well if Bronco won't pursue them, why don't we? Then when the player comes to Bronco it can all work as it's supposed to.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.