Archived Topic

What should the MWC do now?

by stuckinbig10country · 6/10/2010

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
How do they try to become relevent? Do they try and get the 5 leftovers from the Big XII, plus Boise, plus one more?



Do they add Boise only?



Do they disband and try a reformation pulling the best of the rest?



I'm tired of talking about what others are going to do. What are the presidents doing to keep their schools relevent?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
We should be on the phone with Kansas, K-State, Baylor, Missouri ad Boise State this second, and look ta forming a 14 team conference with 2 7 team divisions. Play the other 6 each year, plus 2 from the other division per year, and allow 4 OOC games. Would be a really good football conference, but an amazing hoops conference. And it makes sense for travel, traditions of the newcomers, gives us another Texas school, which is never bad, and adds Kansas City and St. Louis. unless Missouri still goes the way of the Big 10, which I see as likely now. Then, will need another add, perhaps Iowa State.
C
CannonCougar85
I think Craig Thompson mentioned something about becoming a 16 team conference if that is what the other conferences decide to do. So you take the MWC 9 and add the Big 5. Then add Boise to increase the athletic resume and add Houston to add that market and a traveling partner for TCU.

I'm not sure what the divisions would look like, North-South or East-West.



That would make the new MWC qualify for the 6th BCS conference by default and frankly that is the only way the Big 5 would ever join the MWC, if they had some guarantee that the MWC becomes the 6th BCS conference.
S
scott715
I'm afraid that the MWC will have to join this nuclear arms race. We might have to form a new conference with the 16 best football teams to keep up with the other 4 superconferences. I read that the PAC-16 wants two BCS bids one for each division and that they would not play a championship game. They hope to have two teams in the NCG.
Y
YBrit
I'm sick of watching crappy games during BYU week. I'm also sick of TCU baseball shows being aired during BYU week. I'm also sick of the mtn, airing Utah moments (2 first pick drafts) during BYU week.





Screw the MWC, BYU should leave just because of the hate we get all around. C'mon Texas stay there and add us.
Advertisement
B
blue42
CannonCougar85 wrote:
That would make the new MWC qualify for the 6th BCS conference by default and frankly that is the only way the Big 5 would ever join the MWC, if they had some guarantee that the MWC becomes the 6th BCS conference.


Wrong on this part. I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, if there are 4 super conferences the BCS will change to have only those 4 with 2 auto bids for each conference. This will open the door for the much talked about "playoff", they will take the top 2-4 teams from each super conference for the playoffs. This will keep the money in the BCS pockets and give them the ability to say they are now able to support a football playoff because that is what fans are calling for. The 6 conference BCS format will go by the wayside shutting out more effectively the rest of the non AQ conferences playing in any BCS bowl games or playoff games. This is what scares the crap out of Kansas, K State, Baylor Missouri etc, they will now be grouped with the have nots and not the haves.
L
Lawboy
I agree in part. It will not shut out the have notes, but will effectively group the biggest of them together to play for 1 spot at the haves table. Now, the MWC and Boise are going for spots. Together, they get 1 only. WIth a 16 team playoff, maybe 2 on occasion, which is where I see this going.
M
mizzoucoug
The best MWC teams will get scooped up by the Big 12 name and form a 12-14 team conference. This is the only way to assure the remaining Big 12 schools maintain BCS status, and we're the best of the rest that they will get to choose from. Naturally, you add Boise and another big market school (Houston) to capture a desired TV market as well.
C
CannonCougar85
blue42 wrote:
That would make the new MWC qualify for the 6th BCS conference by default and frankly that is the only way the Big 5 would ever join the MWC, if they had some guarantee that the MWC becomes the 6th BCS conference.


Wrong on this part. I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, if there are 4 super conferences the BCS will change to have only those 4 with 2 auto bids for each conference. This will open the door for the much talked about "playoff", they will take the top 2-4 teams from each super conference for the playoffs. This will keep the money in the BCS pockets and give them the ability to say they are now able to support a football playoff because that is what fans are calling for. The 6 conference BCS format will go by the wayside shutting out more effectively the rest of the non AQ conferences playing in any BCS bowl games or playoff games. This is what scares the crap out of Kansas, K State, Baylor Missouri etc, they will now be grouped with the have nots and not the haves.


This is also a good possibility. The BCS making it even more exclusive and hiding behind the "But a playoff is what you wanted" spin.



But as it is set up right now the MWC would move into that 6th BCS spot if the Big 12 were to dissolve.
L
Lawboy
BSC rules require that you have at least 6 teams in that conference who have been together for at least 5 years. With only 4 or 5 Big 12 schools left, that means that the Big 12 would need to add 6 MWC teams who would meet that criteria, and perhaps BSU, and even then it might not work. But I guarantee that it is being looked at as an option. Plus, teh Big 12 brand is much stronger than the MWC brand, so makes sense to align that way, not have a crap TV deal, and allow you to leave some dead weight behind. And I am talking to UNLV, SDSU, Wyoming and UNM.
Advertisement
B
blue42
Lawboy wrote:
BSC rules require that you have at least 6 teams in that conference who have been together for at least 5 years. With only 4 or 5 Big 12 schools left, that means that the Big 12 would need to add 6 MWC teams who would meet that criteria, and perhaps BSU, and even then it might not work. But I guarantee that it is being looked at as an option. Plus, teh Big 12 brand is much stronger than the MWC brand, so makes sense to align that way, not have a crap TV deal, and allow you to leave some dead weight behind. And I am talking to UNLV, SDSU, Wyoming and UNM.


I don't think this will play out. If all the big name teams leave then the leftovers will not have the name power nor the influence over the MWC and at that point the MWC would be viewed as the stronger conference, therefore the invites would be for the leftovers to join the MWC and not the Big 12.
C
craigoscarson
The chancellor of Kansas just had a news conference (about the resignation of their athletic director) and she stated when asked about their future home was that they need to find a conference that brings us what the Big 12 brought"



maybe the one school (Kansas) that needed the Big 12 the most seems resigned that they need to find a new home; she did not say a thing about hoping the Big 12 would stay intact; not once.



The Mountain West needs to send an invite to Kansas/Missouri/Baylor and then Boise State as the 2nd or 4th fallback and no one else; stating that they cant' guarantee all 4 spots and may stop at 2. They need to publicize those invites... and do it now. Missouri and Kansas are desperate and cannot afford to end up without a home.





missouri kansas = travel and geographic partners as Baylor/TCU would do the same - it would give the MWC a footprint from san diego to kansas city to dallas... and the LDS following from all over the world.



That way they dont' sit around waiting for another shoe to drop, when it's most likely that there won't be 6 teams left in the Big 12.



Regardless of the answer from these schools, the MWC looks like a player here and right now we need to be proactive or else the MWC could potenially get picked apart...
L
Lawboy
What about KState and Iowa State? You for dumping them? I still see Missouri getting a Big 10 invite, and I expect them to go to 16 as well--with or without ND.
B
blue42
Lawboy wrote:
What about KState and Iowa State? You for dumping them? I still see Missouri getting a Big 10 invite, and I expect them to go to 16 as well--with or without ND.


From what I have been reading, Missouri is quickly falling down on the invite list to the Big 10. I guess if they do expand to 16 they may end up still going, but the Big 10 could take a couple Big East teams instead. Right now with Nebraska coming in, Notre Dame will have to join which leaves 3 additional teams. I can see those 3 coming from the Big East most likely Cincinnati, Rutgers and Syracuse or Pittsburgh. The SEC will probably take other members of the Big East giving that conference the same fate as the Big 12.
C
Cougarbib
It seems like many of you are assuming that the MWC Presidents could all agree what to do. Utah may be wanting to hold to a slim chance of getting into the PAC 10 if all or even one of the remaining Big 12 invitees decide to do something else. Utah, BYU, and TCU may be holding to a slim hope that the Big 12 will stay mostly intact and invite them afer the nuclear assault has subsided. It may just be that those three schools, and maybe even BSU are thinking - worst case we will be the big fish in the pond of leftovers - kind of like we are now - but hold to a slim hope that they might get a dance card and won't sacrifice any chance of that, until the dominoes have all fallen into place or at least enough dominoes have fallen to make it clear that the Big 12 is decimated. But those Classless (tic - I got my MBA there) Utes might hang on to the very bitter end hoping A&M or Texas goes east, and that the Utes get into one of the Big 4 Superconferences - and there is a 5 or 10% chance that this could happen.
Advertisement
B
blue42
Cougarbib2 wrote:
It seems like many of you are assuming that the MWC Presidents could all agree what to do. Utah may be wanting to hold to a slim chance of getting into the PAC 10 if all or even one of the remaining Big 12 invitees decide to do something else. Utah, BYU, and TCU may be holding to a slim hope that the Big 12 will stay mostly intact and invite them afer the nuclear assault has subsided. It may just be that those three schools, and maybe even BSU are thinking - worst case we will be the big fish in the pond of leftovers - kind of like we are now - but hold to a slim hope that they might get a dance card and won't sacrifice any chance of that, until the dominoes have all fallen into place or at least enough dominoes have fallen to make it clear that the Big 12 is decimated. But those Classless (tic - I got my MBA there) Utes might hang on to the very bitter end hoping A&M or Texas goes east, and that the Utes get into one of the Big 4 Superconferences - and there is a 5 or 10% chance that this could happen.


I don't think the MWC presidents would have a problem voting any leftovers from the Big 12 into the conference, including the frutes, even if they are holding out hope of a Pac 270 invite. The Big 12 invites won't happen until after the Texas and Oklahoma schools have already committed to which ever conference they will go to. If the Frutes do get invited to the (Pac everyone is a criminal) it still wouldn't hurt them to vote yes to MWC expansion.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Lawboy wrote:
What about KState and Iowa State? You for dumping them? I still see Missouri getting a Big 10 invite, and I expect them to go to 16 as well--with or without ND.


Kansas isn't going anywhere without K-State, and vice versa. You want Kansas, you take K-State too.



And I'd like to have both anyway.
C
Cougarbib
Blue42 - I don't disagreee with what you posted, but the question was what should the MWC do NOW....NOW....NOW. They shouldn't have much trouble at all deciding what to do once the nuclear fallout settles. But if they wanted to proact instead of react and do something NOW...... that would be bold and couirageous, especially if it resulted in the establishment of sever penalties for anyone that bolted right after an invte was sent - the best invitees might expect that kind of assurance.
C
craigoscarson
33311710 wrote:
What about KState and Iowa State? You for dumping them? I still see Missouri getting a Big 10 invite, and I expect them to go to 16 as well--with or without ND.


Kansas isn't going anywhere without K-State, and vice versa. You want Kansas, you take K-State too.



And I'd like to have both anyway.


wrong... Kansas is already talking to the Big East and SEC about getting in based on their hoops chops. Kstate is nowhere in that conversation...



I live 20 minutes from Lawrence... trust me KU is not tied at the hip with Kstate.
B
blue42
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Blue42 - I don't disagreee with what you posted, but the question was what should the MWC do NOW....NOW....NOW. They shouldn't have much trouble at all deciding what to do once the nuclear fallout settles. But if they wanted to proact instead of react and do something NOW...... that would be bold and couirageous, especially if it resulted in the establishment of sever penalties for anyone that bolted right after an invte was sent - the best invitees might expect that kind of assurance.


I understand and I like the aggressive "let's do something now" attitude but the MWC is in a little different boat because they have to wait until the Texas schools decide what they will do after that the MWC can do what they need to do. Besides who's to say behind the scenes AD's are not talking to their peers in the Big 12 or coaches etc. I would think this is already happening and the bridges are starting to be built.



I guess the MWC could publicly state that if A or B happens we are extending an invite to these schools, but unless the MWC has confirmation from those schools they want to invite the conference would look very stupid in making a public statement saying they would like to have these teams join the conference while those teams are saying not a chance.



I just thought of this. It might not be a good sign that we haven't heard even a rumor that this could happen yet. This tells me the leftover Big 12 teams really have a superiority complex and thinks the MWC is below them, if not I think we would have heard something positive about this union.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.