USC was given 4 years probation, a 2 year bowl ban starting in 2010, and the loss of 10 scholarships a year, starting in 2011 through 2013. USC was also told to close it;s practices, save for media or other school personnel, and that it could not allow LA celeb types on the sidelines of games or at practices during the probation. Basically, the Pete Carroll, loosey-goosey days of glitz glamour and ethical and moral ambiguity are over, and Lane Kiffin gets to pay the piper for it. That is some nice karma. Just wish the NCAA could have fined USC as well, and Pete Carroll and Tim Floyd, in particular. Or at least, put sanctions on them to not be able to coach in the NCAA for a few years.
I think this means players like Harvey Langi might be looking at BYU harder now. USC is probably out of hte picture, and I expect Lane Kiffin to avoid Utah during the scholarship sanction period and to focus in on his core in SoCal. That is good for us. I also think that UW benefits most from this in the PAC10. They are on the way back up, have a dynamic coach, great location, and Oregon is also imploding, so the Huskies can really get good fast now. I think they will be top 10 again by 2012.