Archived Topic

Should the MWC Vote to Add Boise State on Monday?

by Mars · 6/5/2010

Advertisement
Y
YBrit
We should wait until after the BS from the BcS conferences cools down to invite them. I say wait until the last day to invite them, give them 24 hours to tell the wac. Here's the thing, it makes our conference better, but that'll just give the mwc and the mtn, more fuel to screw BYU. IE-BYU will have 4 road games in one year: @ utah, tcu, boise st will be 3 of those. The next year we'll have them all at home, but 2 will be on Versus (to screw us) and 1 will be a thursday/friday night, and all 3 of them will be consecutive. So you know what MWC I say BYU leaves you for being major ____. I say bring on the challenge of AFA in early september, it won't help them. Just like 2007 BYU will roll.

Back to my point, just wait for the big 12 to pick BYU and boise up rather than rush.



Also, that lady on espn who said UNM would go BcS before BYU...HA HA HA HA HA, she's rubbish.
G
gmj81
My question is this...



I don't remember what happened when TCU joined the conference in 2005. I'm pretty sure the deal with CSTV had already been signed, I just don't remember whether they had factored the TCU contract into the contract or not.



The current MWC TV deal doesn't expire until 2016. So if the conference decides to add BSU now, does Comcast/CBS work a new deal with the MWC now as a show of good faith and to extend the contract (and life of the Mtn network). I'm wondering if they make the conference wait another 6 years under the terms of the current contract if they'll eventually lose out on the future MWC contract to ESPN, thereby essentially making the Mtn network null and void.
M
Mars
YBrit wrote:
We should wait until after the BS from the BcS conferences cools down to invite them. I say wait until the last day to invite them, give them 24 hours to tell the wac.

So you're going to tell the 9 school Presidents in Wyoming together on June 7th to clear their calendars and fly back out on June 29th? That makes no sense.



I think it WOULD make sense, A LOT of sense, to vote on Monday to invite Boise State, and then wait 3 weeks before officially extending the invitation. Which may have been exactly what you were suggesting. That doesn't give the PAC-10 or Big Ten 3 weeks to do anything crazy. Then again, I don't think any of the major conferences care what we do. They just may though.
Y
YBrit
I think faxing, emails, or calls are just as useful as flying to wherever they meet. They can meet now, agree to inviting them but holding off. Technology allows for many comforts thus saving money and time for travel.
Advertisement
M
Mars
gmj81 wrote:
I don't remember what happened when TCU joined the conference in 2005. I'm pretty sure the deal with CSTV had already been signed, I just don't remember whether they had factored the TCU contract into the contract or not. The current MWC TV deal doesn't expire until 2016. So if the conference decides to add BSU now, does Comcast/CBS work a new deal with the MWC now as a show of good faith and to extend the contract (and life of the Mtn network).

Many TV contracts have clauses that they can be renegotiated if teams come from or go to that conference. Not sure about the MWC though.
C
craigoscarson
yes, yes, and yes



It appears that the potential for the Big 12 to blow up or get needy is near. BYU in particular needs to be proactive about expanding the MWC because it's entirely possible that it's our home.



The Pac 10 is shooting above the head of Utah and Utah needs to man up and set their sights on expanding the MWC. Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor could be left out in the cold and they would be wonderful gets for our conference. Adding Boise State just lends crediblity to the MWC. (even if Boise is not a major tv market and doesn't bring much to other sports)



Boise has very little to lose; even the MWC leftovers are at least equal to the WAC and the big boys in the MWC trump the WAC (it's not even close)... the issue is that the big boys are looking around; but the SEC, Big 10, and Pac 10 seem to be looking above the likes of BYU, Utah, and TCU... Let their greed work for us.
B
BigCougsFan
On a side note... I just keep thinking about basketball if all this does work in our favor. Kansas, Kansas St., New Mexico, SDSU, BYU, and maybe Utah if they ever decide to get rid of their shants, they might become good again.



That would be a powerfull basketball conference.
C
craigoscarson
BigCougsFan wrote:
On a side note... I just keep thinking about basketball if all this does work in our favor. Kansas, Kansas St., New Mexico, SDSU, BYU, and maybe Utah if they ever decide to get rid of their shants, they might become good again.



That would be a powerfull basketball conference.


Kansas and Kansas State would rather die than go to what they see as an inferior conference, but depending on what their options are when all is settled... you never know.
Advertisement
C
CougarPeasant
I'm still anti BSU joining the MWC unless it guarantees AQ status for the conference. It's still against BSU's best interest to join the MWC since they have such an easy road to a BCS bowl game by staying in the WAC. Unless of course they are bored there and really want to beef up their conference schedule. They add no additional revenue or market share. And what happens when Peterson leaves? How many will want to kick out BSU when they fall on hard times? All programs do at one time or another.



If there is a move towards super conferences, then by all means, get them in while the gettin' is good. A 12-16 team super MWC would be in the mix on the NC scene as by then there will likely be 3-4 other super conferences as well. And yes, that would likely include KU, KSU Baylor, ISU, Houston, BSU and Tulsa/or SJSU.



But if it's inevitable that BSU will be added to the MWC and BYU is staying, then I might as well relax and enjoy it.
G
gmj81
I also agree that the road to the BCS would be much easier from their WAC perch. That said, the revenue would be at least a couple million more from the MWC than from the WAC. There was an article on that just recently here: http://cougarfan.com/article.asp?ArtID=61427&URL=http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/06/04/1216770/bsu-move-could-be-worth-millions.html



And while adding BSU may not guarantee BCS inclusion, it certainly makes it increasingly more difficult for the "haves" to dismiss the "have-nots" when we keep dismissing every excuse they seem to come up with. I have no doubt they'll find something new excuse when the strength of the MWC exceeds that of that of some of the lesser BCS conferences (I'd argue that it already has but some still claim that they're even at best). Also, the west is one of the only parts of the country that continues to grow, and it seems like Utah, Nevada, and Idaho have been the some of the biggest beneficiaries of this migration lately and that trend only looks to continue.



I have been on the fence for awhile about adding BSU and leaning towards not extending the invitation. I don't mind the team really but don't really care for their fans. I also think that Coach Peterson is a classy guy and not going anywhere anytime soon. I don't think that it's lost on him that the success of his predecessors hasn't followed them to their new lofty BCS gigs, most of which are out of work presently. He's now making more money than any of them ever made at BSU and is practically guaranteed his job there as long as he wants to coach or stay. But given the current TV deal still has so much life, the only possible way they could add revenue is if the conference gets AQ-status. Otherwise, they just cut another slice out of our already humble pie. Seeing as how BCS inclusion is no guarantee, I've been hesitant about the invite as I don't care much for the uneven conference home and road game scenario it presents. But one other positive that might come out of it if they don't get inclusion is continued heat on the BCS system which the majority of the country agrees has got to go. Only problem is the decision-makers are the ones lining their pockets from all the money it brings in.
L
Lawboy
If you are one of the bottom 6 in the MWC, the answer is yes. With the horizon looking as if Utah might be gone, and if things break the wrong way (o right way, depending on perspective), you need that 3rd team to keep the conference in the mix to earn more easy $$$ off of. So it all comes down to how BYU, Utah and TCU vote. If those schools plan on staying, you vote no for now. If leaving, who cares, right?
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
Kansas and Kansas State would rather die than go to what they see as an inferior conference

There was a Kansas newspaper article yesterday that specifically said Kansas/KSU may need to join the MWC someday soon. Which is crazy to actually read in their local paper!
M
Mars


The Daily Universe is running this same poll right now: http://universe.byu.edu/node/8892



Only 7% are saying "No". BYU continues to be the biggest Boise State supporter.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.