C
craigoscarsonArchived Topic
The Next Big thing after Strasburg is LDS
by craigoscarson · 6/4/2010
Advertisement
C
CougarClawThis kid is absolutely sick when it comes to baseball.
I hope he makes it
and then, learns how to deal with the plague of too much money.
I hope he makes it
and then, learns how to deal with the plague of too much money.
M
MarsA #1 talent- Where is kitic asking if it would benefit this kid to redshirt a year at BYU first? ;)
S
SpiffCougMars wrote:
A #1 talent- Where is kitic asking if it would benefit this kid to redshirt a year at BYU first? ;)
Depends, do I get a cut on his signing bonus? But yes, this kid will get a "red-shirt." He's not going straight to the Majors. He's going to be sent to single A ball first and make his way up the organization.
M
Marskitic77 wrote:
Depends, do I get a cut on his signing bonus? But yes, this kid will get a "red-shirt." He's not going straight to the Majors. He's going to be sent to single A ball first and make his way up the organization.
I saw that Strasburg got his first start last week. Took him, what, half a season? I don't know if that's impressive or if that's a long time to not play your new best pitcher.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCougMars wrote:Depends, do I get a cut on his signing bonus? But yes, this kid will get a "red-shirt." He's not going straight to the Majors. He's going to be sent to single A ball first and make his way up the organization.
I saw that Strasburg got his first start last week. Took him, what, half a season? I don't know if that's impressive or if that's a long time to not play your new best pitcher.
He also went to college. He pitched for SDSU each of the last three seasons. Strasburg was born in 1988. He'll be 22 in a month or two.
S
SpiffCougThat was a fairly quick ascent into the majors for any player. The MLB draft is either this week or next. So when he was drafted last summer there was some talk that the Nationals should have brought him up before the end of last season. They were a little more patient and since they were out of the race there wasn't much reason to hurry a player who had been playing from Jan-May in college to then pitch again in Aug-Oct.
M
Marskitic77 wrote:
He also went to college. He pitched for SDSU each of the last three seasons. Strasburg was born in 1988. He'll be 22 in a month or two.
Great point. I didn't remember he was at SDSU for that long.
S
SpiffCougSo do I get a cut of his signing bonus?
C
CougarClawHarper going to the Nationals. Welcome to DC Bryce.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCougStrasburg to Harper.
C
CougarClawkitic77 wrote:
Strasburg to Harper.
i'd say this was a pretty good string of years to gather in number one draft picks for the Nats.
Way to suck.
S
SpiffCougHey Mars, can we hope Heaps is as good in his debut as Strasburg was last night.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
M
Marskitic77 wrote:
Hey Mars, can we hope Heaps is as good in his debut as Strasburg was last night.
If Nelson is as good as Strasburg, that wouldn't disappoint me either!
S
SpiffCougMars wrote:Hey Mars, can we hope Heaps is as good in his debut as Strasburg was last night.
If Nelson is as good as Strasburg, that wouldn't disappoint me either!
What would the football equivelant of 14 Ks and no walks be? Six TDs and no INTs?
Advertisement
M
Marskitic77 wrote:kitic77 wrote:
Hey Mars, can we hope Heaps is as good in his debut as Strasburg was last night.
If Nelson is as good as Strasburg, that wouldn't disappoint me either!
What would the football equivelant of 14 Ks and no walks be? Six TDs and no INTs?
Maybe 7.
C
craigoscarsonMars wrote:Depends, do I get a cut on his signing bonus? But yes, this kid will get a "red-shirt." He's not going straight to the Majors. He's going to be sent to single A ball first and make his way up the organization.
I saw that Strasburg got his first start last week. Took him, what, half a season? I don't know if that's impressive or if that's a long time to not play your new best pitcher.
I take it you dont' follow major league baseball...
This was not long at all.. for one, some players languish in the minors for years before being brought up to star. (adrian gonzalez, nelson cruz, among others) and pitchers making it to the mlb in half a year are even more rare.
Others come up too soon like Alex Gordon of the Royals and never get their mojo back.
BTW, the Nationals get an extra year and a half by waiting til past June 1st to put him on a major league roster (major league rules protect ownership rights once you bring them up for a defined period of time. It was the smartest thing they have ever done by waiting to expose him to a very weak set of teams (pittsburgh, then cleveland) at the best time to do it.
Here's an article saying that Harper will be even better
The Washington Nationals have the best young prospect in the history of baseball. That's not a stretch. Baseball is a game of numbers, and the numbers don't lie. He's the best young prospect in baseball history.
His name is Stephen Strasburg.
OK, that's a lie.
Bryce Harper got to show his home run trot 31 times in 68 games this past season. (US Presswire)
Because his name is Bryce Harper.
S
SpiffCougIf Harper, who is 17, makes it to the majors before he's 20 then you know he's VERY special.
M
MarsTook Strasburg an entire year I guess. Time flies...
S
snoscytheI hate Scott Boras. Let's hope the kid gets a deal signed.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5466181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5466181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

