Archived Topic

The Fiesta Bowl

by Mars · 6/4/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


If the Big XII is decimated, to the tune of 6-8 teams, wouldn't the Fiesta Bowl cut ties with that crippled conference? And what other conference is around for the Fiesta to sign a contract with? The MWC!



If the Mountain West signs a contract with the Fiesta Bowl, we become a BCS conference overnight. Autobid status would begin imediately.
J
JamieVallen
Mars wrote:


If the Big XII is decimated, to the tune of 6-8 teams, wouldn't the Fiesta Bowl cut ties with that crippled conference? And what other conference is around for the Fiesta to sign a contract with? The MWC!



If the Mountain West signs a contract with the Fiesta Bowl, we become a BCS conference overnight. Autobid status would begin imediately.

That would be awesome... but I just don't see any of this happening I think it's like everything else up to this point nothing but rumors people have put out because they are pretty bored at this point. but then again I hope I'm wrong.
B
BigCougsFan
Mars wrote:


If the Big XII is decimated, to the tune of 6-8 teams, wouldn't the Fiesta Bowl cut ties with that crippled conference? And what other conference is around for the Fiesta to sign a contract with? The MWC!



If the Mountain West signs a contract with the Fiesta Bowl, we become a BCS conference overnight. Autobid status would begin imediately.


I would imagine if the PAC and Big Ten expand to 16 teams... Then the Fiesta Bowl would probably go after one of those conferences, since they have more teams to offer. I can't see them coming to the MWC unless we're a AQ conference.
S
Schmoe
BigCougsFan wrote:



I would imagine if the PAC and Big Ten expand to 16 teams... Then the Fiesta Bowl would probably go after one of those conferences, since they have more teams to offer.


With current BCS rules still in tact, a conference can only send two teams to BCS bowls, regardless of size.
B
BigCougsFan
Schmoe wrote:



I would imagine if the PAC and Big Ten expand to 16 teams... Then the Fiesta Bowl would probably go after one of those conferences, since they have more teams to offer.


With current BCS rules still in tact, a conference can only send two teams to BCS bowls, regardless of size.


Knowing our luck... The Fiesta Bowl will go to the WAC.
Advertisement
M
Mars
BigCougsFan wrote:
I would imagine if the PAC and Big Ten expand to 16 teams... Then the Fiesta Bowl would probably go after one of those conferences, since they have more teams to offer. I can't see them coming to the MWC unless we're a AQ conference.

They are both tied in to the Rose Bowl already, and they're not giving that up. Which leaves only... us. The extremely successful non-BCS Fiesta bowls seem to back that idea up very well.



And the WAC is Boise State only. In one week, they shouldn't even be that anymore. ESPN refers to a BSU-less WAC as "the sunbelt with snow".
S
scott715
They would sign with Notre Dame.
S
snoscythe
I don't think they could contract with anyone outside of the BCS conferences. If there was no BCS conference to contract with, it would simply become a BCS-at-large berth. Who needs a conference contract when the BCS already has your back?
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
I don't think they could contract with anyone outside of the BCS conferences.

The BCS spokesman said otherwise this week. He said that the Fiesta bowl is free to contact with the MWC if they wished (same with the Orange bowl), and that it would make the MWC (or whomever) an autobid conference automatically.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.