Archived Topic

Mekeli Wesley's scoop on the summer pickup games

by craigoscarson · 6/1/2010

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Craig Oscarson :Hey Mekeli, I heard you're playin pickup ball with the Cougs and my good friend Jeremiah Hartsock. Share the wealth man... who looks good? Who's improving the most? How good is little Collinsworth, etc.



Mekeli: Yeah man, K here is the scoop- Little Kyle C. is nice, I really like his game! He is tough and I think can give the cougs more than Tyler Haws did, maybe not as much scoring but more D, rebounds, and tough play. Davies is getting better I like his game a lot, might need a little bit more of a mean streak in him. Jackson is still so solid, says he is working on his handles so he can back up the pg spot if Jimmer is in foul trouble. James Anderson is playing very well, around the basket his offense is hard to stop cuz of his length, he needs a little more strength but if he can defend he can be a big assest for us this yr. Charles does a lot of things well and he is strong and a great defender when he wants to be, I would like to see him really work on his shot, but in pick up he does get hot at times.
M
Mars


None of which is news.
Q
Qman
Interesting to hear. So Hawes was a better offensive player than Kyle Collinsworth? That surprises me.
C
craigoscarson
This is about the 4th time someone that has either played in the games or watched them has told me that James Anderson is an excellent finisher and difficult to defend.

Maybe given more minutes this year, he'll really get some confidence and shine.



That Jackson is working on backing up Jimmer at the point is interesting; I kind of assumed that job would go to Martineau or Collinsworth, if and when Jimmer actually came out of the game. If there was one complaint I had with Emery's game, is that he wasn't able to create off the dribble; so that fact that he's working on it is exciting.



While a lot of what Mekeli said isn't a newsflash, the fact that a Cougar great gave his 2 cents is newworthy and only gives credit to what we've heard from others.



If Collinsworth is an upgrade at the 3 over Haws, and everyone else actually improves, there's no reason to believe that this team can't make a deep run.
A
AmmonCougar1
Thanks Craigo. All of that was news to me, especially from someone on the inside. It was reports like you just provided that I was initially drawn to the old site where Cruiser and McGregor (among others) kept us more informed. Keep 'em coming!



Go Cougs!!!



J. Child

Ammon, Id
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Collinsworth is much more an enabler than Haws was. Which is why he'll fit in very well on this team. Haws was very good, but I think we still need to find someone to get us his points each night. I like hearing that Kyle has a bit of a mean streak in him.
C
craigoscarson
kitic77 wrote:
Collinsworth is much more an enabler than Haws was. Which is why he'll fit in very well on this team. Haws was very good, but I think we still need to find someone to get us his points each night. I like hearing that Kyle has a bit of a mean streak in him.


All the people I've talked to, say that Collinsworth plays like a college upperclassman; that's exactly what we need at the 3 and backup 2.



As much of a fan that I am of Charles Abouo's unlimited potential and physical skills, it sounds like KC gets the job because of his maturity and court awareness. Fortunately, both are relatively versatile and I wouldnt' be surprised to see them on the court at the same time for matchup and depth reasons.



I guess I'm most excited about hearing Davies and Anderson making improvements. Neither are the intimidator that Miles was, but Chris's weaknesses were also glaring. The fact that everyone is saying that Anderson can score and finish at ease, at least makes me feel better about winning game and avoiding too much let down if Noah and Brandon get in foul trouble.
M
Mars
craigoscarson wrote:
This is about the 4th time someone that has either played in the games or watched them has told me that James Anderson is an excellent finisher and difficult to defend. Maybe given more minutes this year, he'll really get some confidence and shine.

I do agree that this WOULD be actual news. VERY interesting news, in fact. I just discounted it because, you know, what are his buddies supposed to report, that he sucks? He certainly didn't show any of that in game time last year, and talent doesn't randomly appear overnight.



Then again, Hartsock went from a no one last year to a good starter this season. Real growth certainly isn't impossible.



And the reports about Kyle C., while not new, are very exciting. IF he's equal to Haws, or maybe even a little better, our results next year should rival the last, if not exceed them!
L
Lawboy
Al I know is that Duke was looking at Collinsworth. So based upon that, I assume he must be very talented. I suspect he will be better than Haws, and that is a great thing. Those 2 together in 3 years will give us some great talent.
C
craigoscarson
Lawboy wrote:
Al I know is that Duke was looking at Collinsworth. So based upon that, I assume he must be very talented. I suspect he will be better than Haws, and that is a great thing. Those 2 together in 3 years will give us some great talent.


Kansas also was going to offer if a mission wasn't an option.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:
This is about the 4th time someone that has either played in the games or watched them has told me that James Anderson is an excellent finisher and difficult to defend. Maybe given more minutes this year, he'll really get some confidence and shine.

I do agree that this WOULD be actual news. VERY interesting news, in fact. I just discounted it because, you know, what are his buddies supposed to report, that he sucks? He certainly didn't show any of that in game time last year, and talent doesn't randomly appear overnight.



Then again, Hartsock went from a no one last year to a good starter this season. Real growth certainly isn't impossible.



And the reports about Kyle C., while not new, are very exciting. IF he's equal to Haws, or maybe even a little better, our results next year should rival the last, if not exceed them!


One other thing to point out about Anderson's sudden improvement is who he's playing against in these pickup games. I'm sure for many of them he's paired up against Davies. One of Davies' key weaknesses was his defense. Keep in mind Anderson has also been matching up against Davies for the last year. If Davies isn't around, who else is there to really match up against him in pickup games. Not may 7 footers standing around. Sure, Noah could bang with him and Kyle too, but he still has several inches over them. Also, those guys probably aren't going to push back on him as much as the competition.



I think the reports are good, but I'm taking them with a grain of salt.
S
SpiffCoug
I think Anderson will/can be a serviceable MWC center. He'll be good for about four points and four boards a night. He may have an occasional double digit game in one of the two categories. If he could some how become and eight and eight guy - I'd be ecstatic. I'd love for him to even be a a two and eight guy.
C
craigoscarson
Gunk wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:
This is about the 4th time someone that has either played in the games or watched them has told me that James Anderson is an excellent finisher and difficult to defend. Maybe given more minutes this year, he'll really get some confidence and shine.

I do agree that this WOULD be actual news. VERY interesting news, in fact. I just discounted it because, you know, what are his buddies supposed to report, that he sucks? He certainly didn't show any of that in game time last year, and talent doesn't randomly appear overnight.



Then again, Hartsock went from a no one last year to a good starter this season. Real growth certainly isn't impossible.



And the reports about Kyle C., while not new, are very exciting. IF he's equal to Haws, or maybe even a little better, our results next year should rival the last, if not exceed them!


One other thing to point out about Anderson's sudden improvement is who he's playing against in these pickup games. I'm sure for many of them he's paired up against Davies. One of Davies' key weaknesses was his defense. Keep in mind Anderson has also been matching up against Davies for the last year. If Davies isn't around, who else is there to really match up against him in pickup games. Not may 7 footers standing around. Sure, Noah could bang with him and Kyle too, but he still has several inches over them. Also, those guys probably aren't going to push back on him as much as the competition.



I think the reports are good, but I'm taking them with a grain of salt.


There aren't many 7 footers in college hoops period..



But it's not just Noah and Brandon he's playing against, it's Tai and Mekeli Wesley (Mekeli is playing overseas still ) and others from USU, UVU, and Utah.
Q
Qman
Anderson always struck me as skilled. Maybe he is finally strong enough to handle bumps and finish his moves.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.