Archived Topic

So Did I miss Something?

by Italics · 5/18/2010

Advertisement
I
Italics
Haven't heard anything about Unga for a along time.



So he's officially gone? Yes? No?



Surprised how quickly this topic died. Thinking I missed something?
D
Ddawg
I think the Unga story has not "gone away" - there just isn't any new information. This is as it shoud be. This is a private matter - Between Harvey Unga & his religious leaders. But, as is often the case, private actions affect your public life. I hope to hear good things about Harvey as Uagust rolls around.



Until then - I think there will be an information "balckout" - and that is "as it should be." I hope a positive end results for Harvey personally, and regarding his team eligibility. These are tough days & weeks for both Harvey & Kelani, & their families. I believe it is possible for Harvey to be back in uniform this Fall. It all depends - on Harvey & his leaders. We shall see. I think everyone involved is trying to do the right thing.

8)
U
urroner
Italics wrote:
Haven't heard anything about Unga for a along time.



So he's officially gone? Yes? No?



Surprised how quickly this topic died. Thinking I missed something?


I don't know if this has been posted, but KSL, yesterday, had a little blurb on Unga and his returning:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=10803100


wish I could say I'm hearing positive things about Harvey Unga's chances for a return to BYU in the fall, but I'm not.



In the last week, I've gotten what I consider to be reliable information sourced back to BYU higher-ups, who say it's unlikely Unga will make it back on the field for the Cougars. "Unlikely" doesn't mean "out," and until anything is official, there's always a chance, but it might be wise not to get hopes too high for Unga's return.



In an April 21st MWC teleconference with reporters, Bronco Mendenhall said Unga was "fighting diligently" to be re-admitted to BYU. Mendenhall added that he "(didn't) have a time frame on when a decision will be reached...if he's allowed to come back for the fall, obviously that would be something we'd love to have. We're kind of holding on and waiting."



The coach said that Unga's decision to withdraw from school was "a token that would make the administration know that 'I'm going to act before I'm asked to act.'"



The fact Mendenhall was speaking somewhat hopefully about the chances for re-admission had me confident that those chances were good; otherwise, I believed, he might have been less expansive about the possibility. Then again, Unga being re-admitted and being re-admitted in time to play in 2010 could be two different things. Time will soon tell if either timeline applies to Unga's future at BYU.
S
snoscythe
Jay Drew updated the situation on his blog yesterday. Apparently, he hasn't heard anything new since April 21st either, and since then Harvey has changed his cell phone and hasn't even talked with his usual friends. Just a whole lot of nuthin' going on.
W
Wickchad
Probably the best indication of what is going on is if the supplemental draft comes and goes without Harvey declaring. I would hope that his church leaders can give him enough guidance as to whether or not his chances are good enough to be readmitted before he doesn't have NFL options either.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Wickchad84087 wrote:
Probably the best indication of what is going on is if the supplemental draft comes and goes without Harvey declaring. I would hope that his church leaders can give him enough guidance as to whether or not his chances are good enough to be readmitted before he doesn't have NFL options either.


When in the deadline to declare for the supp draft? Rumorboard has a guy posting that he declared for it already which is not worth much. But anybody know when the deadlien is?
W
Wickchad
jonnylingo wrote:
Probably the best indication of what is going on is if the supplemental draft comes and goes without Harvey declaring. I would hope that his church leaders can give him enough guidance as to whether or not his chances are good enough to be readmitted before he doesn't have NFL options either.


When in the deadline to declare for the supp draft? Rumorboard has a guy posting that he declared for it already which is not worth much. But anybody know when the deadlien is?


The NFL has not set the date of the supplemental draft yet. They also have not set the deadline to declare yet. The draft usually happens in July. I don't know how far in advance they usually set the deadline to declare.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.