Archived Topic

changes in coaching staff

by idahocougarfan · 5/17/2010

Advertisement
G
Gunk
hmmm...not sure how I feel about this. I liked our defense (though some work on rebounding would be nice), so I hope we don't experience a drop off with LaComb. How is he at coaching big men? Anyone know? We seriously need help on that front.
Q
Qman
Gunk wrote:
hmmm...not sure how I feel about this. I liked our defense (though some work on rebounding would be nice), so I hope we don't experience a drop off with LaComb. How is he at coaching big men? Anyone know? We seriously need help on that front.


Apparently this was a promotion for Lacomb into a real assistant's position. He has been with the team for a while. I suspect we will see more of the same.



Reading between the lines--was Wardenburg forced out by Rose? Or did he really have other opportunities?
I
idahocougarfan
Qman wrote:



Reading between the lines--was Wardenburg forced out by Rose? Or did he really have other opportunities?




I really don't think that Coach Rose would force out Coach Wardenburg, but I also could be wrong. I think that Wardenburg does have other opportunites but I guess no one knows at this point.
C
CougarClaw
idahocougarfan wrote:
Gunk wrote:



Reading between the lines--was Wardenburg forced out by Rose? Or did he really have other opportunities?




I really don't think that Coach Rose would force out Coach Wardenburg, but I also could be wrong. I think that Wardenburg does have other opportunites but I guess no one knows at this point.


Could it have been a lot of little things and that coach wardenburg had some difficulties with the program's expectations and wasn't as academically adept as they would have hoped?



or was he just arrested in Provo for drug use with 9 moving violations? ;) :whistle:
Advertisement
I
idahocougarfan
This is from Greg Wrubell's blog on KSL.



http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=10849456.



It looks like change in responsibility for the coaches as well.



GO COUGARS!!







I was in the BYU Basketball office this morning for a sit-down interview with the Cougars' newest coach, Tim LaComb. LaComb was promoted from Director of Basketball Operations to a bench position after longtime assistant coach John Wardenburg stepped down earlier this week.



You can hear my entire interview with LaComb by clicking on the audio link in the "Cougar Cuts" box to the right. He starts by answering the question: "Which previous basketball job or jobs prepared you most for your new assignment?"



In the interview, you will learn about LaComb's days as a student manager under Utah head coach Rick Majerus, what got him back into basketball after some time away from the game in the 90s, how a lifetime Ute became a Cougar and about his undying affection for 80s hair bands.

******

In answering a question about the new coaching staff's division of responsibilities, LaComb did mention a change worth noting. After years working with the BYU guards and wings, Associate Head Coach Dave Rice will focus on the big men this upcoming season, assisted by LaComb; Head Coach Dave Rose and assistant Terry Nashif will work primarily with the guards and wings.



LaComb also talks in-depth about the individual skills of the three newcomers to the BYU Basketball program: Kyle Collinsworth, Anson Winder and Stephen Rogers.



I hope you enjoy the roughly 25 minutes or so I spent with Tim; he's a great guy and will be a tremendous addition to the coaching staff. By the way, his old Director of Basketball Operations job is a popular posting; many applicants from literally around the world have inquired about the vacancy, which Dave Rose hopes to fill within the next month.
G
Gunk
idahocougarfan wrote:
This is from Greg Wrubell's blog on KSL.



http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=10849456.



It looks like change in responsibility for the coaches as well.



GO COUGARS!!







I was in the BYU Basketball office this morning for a sit-down interview with the Cougars' newest coach, Tim LaComb. LaComb was promoted from Director of Basketball Operations to a bench position after longtime assistant coach John Wardenburg stepped down earlier this week.



You can hear my entire interview with LaComb by clicking on the audio link in the "Cougar Cuts" box to the right. He starts by answering the question: "Which previous basketball job or jobs prepared you most for your new assignment?"



In the interview, you will learn about LaComb's days as a student manager under Utah head coach Rick Majerus, what got him back into basketball after some time away from the game in the 90s, how a lifetime Ute became a Cougar and about his undying affection for 80s hair bands.

******

In answering a question about the new coaching staff's division of responsibilities, LaComb did mention a change worth noting. After years working with the BYU guards and wings, Associate Head Coach Dave Rice will focus on the big men this upcoming season, assisted by LaComb; Head Coach Dave Rose and assistant Terry Nashif will work primarily with the guards and wings.



LaComb also talks in-depth about the individual skills of the three newcomers to the BYU Basketball program: Kyle Collinsworth, Anson Winder and Stephen Rogers.



I hope you enjoy the roughly 25 minutes or so I spent with Tim; he's a great guy and will be a tremendous addition to the coaching staff. By the way, his old Director of Basketball Operations job is a popular posting; many applicants from literally around the world have inquired about the vacancy, which Dave Rose hopes to fill within the next month.


Very cool. Wasn't it Rice that coached Rafa?
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:
Wasn't it Rice that coached Rafa?


I remember it being Rose.
Q
Qman
So I listened to the interview.



There was some really good information he gave about the 5 players who are joining the program. It happened rough at min 17-23.



Here is my summary of what he said about each player-



Martineau and Chris Collinsworth-can't watch them play yet but their bodies looks good- didn't gain bad weight on mission



Kyle Collinsworth- is a big time player. Best attribute is his ability to beat defenders off the dribble and finish. Also has very good passing skills. This may allow Jimmer to play off the ball a little more.



Anson Winder-a raw, athletic guard with a good 3pt shot.



Rodgers- unlimited range on his shot, smart player.



Also he expects Davies and Hartsock to make big leaps forward in the upcoming season.
M
Mars
idahocougarfan wrote:
In answering a question about the new coaching staff's division of responsibilities, LaComb did mention a change worth noting. After years working with the BYU guards and wings, Associate Head Coach Dave Rice will focus on the big men this upcoming season, assisted by LaComb; Head Coach Dave Rose and assistant Terry Nashif will work primarily with the guards and wings.

This stuck out the most to me.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Mars wrote:
In answering a question about the new coaching staff's division of responsibilities, LaComb did mention a change worth noting. After years working with the BYU guards and wings, Associate Head Coach Dave Rice will focus on the big men this upcoming season, assisted by LaComb; Head Coach Dave Rose and assistant Terry Nashif will work primarily with the guards and wings.

This stuck out the most to me.


I would agree with this. If there is an area that the staff really could improve on, it is developing the interior offensive players. That has been a real weakness for BYU for the past several years. With the guard play we have, if he interior guys get better and play like the USU guys even, we will be really hard to beat.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.