Archived Topic

Max Hall signs FA contract with Arizona Cardinals

by snoscythe · 4/25/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
According to this blog that I have never read before, but seems to have all the others right:



http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/p/2010-nfl-undrafted-free-agents.html



A good fit for Max...pass happy offense, opportunity to move into the rotation and challenge for a starting spot in a year or two if he has the ability, and a team that is open to the idea of a less-than-traditional quarterback as long as they win and keep the fans happy.
C
craigoscarson
Arizona also drafted 6'5" rocket armed John Skelton of Fordham and Az has former Cleveland starter Derek Anderson.



I'd put the odds of Max making the Arizona roster in september at 15% and the practice squad at 20%



What he has going for him in Phoenix, is name recognition being the hometown boy. I doubt that's enough to crack that team.
B
BYUBALLIN
i read two article from az newspapers that the cards, are really high on Max. I guess we will see, Max has a great shot to make this team.
A
AmmonCougar1
Pardon my ignorance but aside from having a job from a specific team for at least a few months, what does a free agent contract mean? How much does a FA usually make? How likely is it that they will make the team? The practice team? Can a player make a decent living being a long term practice team player? Are there any other benefits associated with a FA contract? How can one find out how many teams offered a given player a FA contract? What else about FA is interesting to know that I am not asking but that someone here, in the know, can offer me(those of us) who do not know.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
Advertisement
L
ltpwfdcm
Any players not drafted are termed "Undrafted Free Agents". The term FA contract just means that he isn't guaranteed anything. If he had been drafted in the 7th round he would have received a small signing bonus and at least a contract for 3 or so years at the NFL minumum prior to training camp. The current NFL minimum salary is about 285K. UFA's depending on the competition at their position have a decent chance of making the roster. My brother-in-law went to camp with the Ravens for the 2002 training camp as a UFA. He was one of the last cuts made as he had to compete with a punter that the new ST coach had drafted in the 4th round (Crazy I know :whistle: ) Another UFA Will Demps from SDSU did end up making the roster. If a player makes the practice roster he makes about 5K a week for every week he is on the roster. There are restrictions on how many seasons you can be on the practice roster. I believe it's a max of three seasons. When my BiL signed his contract, it was just to attend training camp if I recall. He had no signing bonus and had he made the 53 man roster then he would have probably got the league minimum. He also had an offer from the Raiders for a UFA contract, where he would have had to compete with longtime veteran Shane Lechler. One cool thing was that my BiL's locker was next to Ray Lewis and his final night in camp he was treated to dinner by Matt Stover.
S
Schmoe
I can't believe that what's-his-nuts from Oregon St. got drafted and Max didn't. Good luck to Hall in making the squad, I think he's got a decent shot.
A
AmmonCougar1
ltpwfdcm wrote:
Any players not drafted are termed "Undrafted Free Agents". The term FA contract just means that he isn't guaranteed anything. If he had been drafted in the 7th round he would have received a small signing bonus and at least a contract for 3 or so years at the NFL minumum prior to training camp. The current NFL minimum salary is about 285K. UFA's depending on the competition at their position have a decent chance of making the roster. My brother-in-law went to camp with the Ravens for the 2002 training camp as a UFA. He was one of the last cuts made as he had to compete with a punter that the new ST coach had drafted in the 4th round (Crazy I know :whistle: ) Another UFA Will Demps from SDSU did end up making the roster. If a player makes the practice roster he makes about 5K a week for every week he is on the roster. There are restrictions on how many seasons you can be on the practice roster. I believe it's a max of three seasons. When my BiL signed his contract, it was just to attend training camp if I recall. He had no signing bonus and had he made the 53 man roster then he would have probably got the league minimum. He also had an offer from the Raiders for a UFA contract, where he would have had to compete with longtime veteran Shane Lechler. One cool thing was that my BiL's locker was next to Ray Lewis and his final night in camp he was treated to dinner by Matt Stover.


How much, assuming they make a practice squad roster, can a ufa possibly make?
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
I can't believe that what's-his-nuts from Oregon St. got drafted and Max didn't.

Cannfield? Who got his butt kicked all around Las Vegas?
S
Schmoe
Mars wrote:
I can't believe that what's-his-nuts from Oregon St. got drafted and Max didn't.

Cannfield? Who got his butt kicked all around Las Vegas?


Yep, that's the one.
Advertisement
L
ltpwfdcm
AmmonCougar1 wrote:



How much, assuming they make a practice squad roster, can a ufa possibly make?


I think the current rate is 5200 a week so if he stayed all 17 weeks he'd make roughly 88,000.
B
BYUBALLIN
So what do you guys think Max Chances are of making this team?
D
Ddawg
BYUBALLIN wrote:
So what do you guys think Max Chances are of making this team?


Probably about 35 - 40% he makes it. I am pulling for Max. But - they have 3 QB's ahead of him. I really hope Max makes it. Given some time to develop - I think he can make a good contribution.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.