Archived Topic

Pete Carroll deceives one/another of his former players.

by BigCougsFan · 4/24/2010

Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
I don't know what Pete Carroll said... Or the promises he made to Uona Kaveinga. Or if Uona just wasn't good enough to start at USC. I don't know what the exact reasons why Uona transferred to BYU, which I'm excited to watch him play after his mission.



I have a feeling Carroll mislead Uona and many other players as well.



From the sounds of this article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=5131914



Carroll told USC's safety, Taylor Mays, that he would draft him in the first round, or Mays was under the impression Carroll would. Mays was excited to hear this, since he grew up in Seattle and wants to play for the Seahawks in his hometown.



Seattle has two picks in the first round. Their first pick they drafted a tackle from Oklahoma St.



Now, it's time to get their stud from USC with their second pick... The announcement comes from Roger Goodell that Seattle drafts A DIFFERENT SAFETY, Earl Thomas from Texas!



What a frickin' tool Carroll is. Totally screwed Mays over. Mays ends up getting drafted by the Niners in the second round, which is good overall.



BUT... With Mays going in the second round, he loses the big-time dollars that come from being a first round draft that was promised by Carroll. I hope karma bites Carroll in the butt, cause the Niners play Seattle twice next year, with their season opener against them.
S
snoscythe
I guess I didn't read the article the same as you. It had more to do with the defensive scheme Carroll used last year and how it may have dropped Mays from being a top 15 pick to being a second round pick.



Mays seemed to accept that Thomas is the better pick and that Seattle probably wasn't expecting him to be on the board that late.



I never read anything that suggested Carroll promised Mays he'd be a Seahawk or misled him in anyway about the draft.
B
BerliNY
snoscythe wrote:
I guess I didn't read the article the same as you. It had more to do with the defensive scheme Carroll used last year and how it may have dropped Mays from being a top 15 pick to being a second round pick.



Mays seemed to accept that Thomas is the better pick and that Seattle probably wasn't expecting him to be on the board that late.



I never read anything that suggested Carroll promised Mays he'd be a Seahawk or misled him in anyway about the draft.


The whole point of the article was that Mays felt like Carroll was going to take care of Mays in the draft. Just like he wasn't going to let Uona go on a mission, and how he thought it was in Sanchez's best interest to stay another year. There is a pattern of deception here that this article seems to confirm.
B
BigCougsFan
snoscythe wrote:
I guess I didn't read the article the same as you. It had more to do with the defensive scheme Carroll used last year and how it may have dropped Mays from being a top 15 pick to being a second round pick.



Mays seemed to accept that Thomas is the better pick and that Seattle probably wasn't expecting him to be on the board that late.



I never read anything that suggested Carroll promised Mays he'd be a Seahawk or misled him in anyway about the draft.


I guess we didn't view it the same...


BerliNY wrote:
The whole point of the article was that Mays felt like Carroll was going to take care of Mays in the draft. Just like he wasn't going to let Uona go on a mission, and how he thought it was in Sanchez's best interest to stay another year. There is a pattern of deception here that this article seems to confirm.


EXACTLY! Maybe I fabricated the story a little bit(didn't mean to), the point was Mays expected Carroll to draft him, but Carroll drafts a different safety instead.
C
CougarPeasant
Is Carroll the GM for Seattle? If not, then he might have been overrulled regarding which player to take at the safety position. Mays may have read more into what Carroll told him than was actually said. That is a possibility as well.



As for Sanchez, he only had 1 year at the position of QB, which made it very reasonable for Carroll to feel that Sanchez would have benifitted from playing a second season before going to the NFL. Carroll obviously handled it poorly, but it wasn't a bad call on Carroll's part AT THE TIME. Of course, Sanchez went on to prove he was the best QB in the draft with his rookie season. I'm sure he and Carroll have put it behind them.



Regarding Kavienga, he had the misfortune of playing for a team that runs a 4-3 and the guy in front of him was the best LB in his class. That was Kavienga's fault, not Carroll's. If he really wanted to serve a mission, which didn't seem important at the time he chose USC over BYU, he should have made Carroll put up or shut up. Carroll had opened the door for he who shall remain nameless now at ND to serve, which would mean that other LDS players would be able to go too.



I think you are readiing too much into what's happened. Mays got drafted in the 2d round. His speed wasn't where it should have been. I don't see where that is Carroll's fault. Sanchez is an NFL starting QB and Carroll apologized for how he reacted. Kavienga wasn't going to break into the starting lineup among the LBs recruited ahead of him at USC because those guys were that good.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.