Archived Topic

What do you like/dislike with your NFL team draft picks...

by BigCougsFan · 4/24/2010

Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
I'm a Patriots fan, and I'm somewhat please, but bummed at the same time. Bill B. is playing this smart with his picks. Trading his first rounds(and others) for three 2nd round picks AND ten overall.



First Round -- Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers -- I'm glad they picked a CB, cause they are hurting in the secondary. Their final 3/4 games had their opponents picking them apart.



Second Round -- Rob Gronkowski , TE, Arizona -- I'm frickin' pissed over this pick! Gronkowski??? Pitta is a much better TE. People say Pitta needs to work on his blocking BUT so does Gronkowski! I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Fragile gets hurt flying into Boston. Injury prone BIG TIME!



Second Round -- Jermaine Cunningham , OLB, Florida -- Played DE at Florida, but labeled himself as LB for the Draft. The Pats need help at LB with their veterans retiring. Time to rebuild at LB and he's the first pick of two thus far.



Second Round --Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida -- Second LB from the same school, Florida. He's an ILB cause he lacks speed from sideline to sideline. I personally believe there were better LB's to choose from, but Bill is a genius at molding players into what he wants. Can't really question him.



Third Round --Taylor Price, WR, Ohio -- I kinda thought they had depth at WR, but apparently not. He runs a 4.41. He has speed that will help Randy Moss and Wes Welker spread the defense out. I think it's odd to get a WR, but he seems to be a good fit.



There are five more picks for the Pats waiting to be had. I'll update this as time goes on.



UPDATE ON NEW PICKS

I'm getting kinda bummed with the Patriots. They had a few chances to draft Pitta, but they go with Rob Gronkowski(which he wont last cause of his injuries) in the second round AND the Aaron Hernandez(another TE) in the fourth round. Pitta was available to be drafted at this time, and was drafted on the very next play to Baltimore(I'm not biased on where Pitta goes ;) )



Three of their seven picks thus far are from Florida.



What do you guys like/dislike about your team and their picks???
S
SpiffCoug
I couldn't believe Gronkowski's pick. Back injuries are notorious for being continual. Who gets fully back from a back injury? they always have issues with it. It's done in many a career.
B
BigCougsFan
kitic77 wrote:
I couldn't believe Gronkowski's pick. Back injuries are notorious for being continual. Who gets fully back from a back injury? they always have issues with it. It's done in many a career.


You're telling me! I don't know what Bill B, sees in this guy. He missed all of last season AND 3/4's of the season before that! Basically... He played four games in two seasons... AND he's picked in the third round??? Talk about a major RED FLAG.



OU's Gresham missed all of last season and he gets picked in the first round. In his defense, he is good! I wouldn't be surprised if Florida's Hernandez goes before Pitta, with the way the things are going.



Not very many teams use TE's out there, and some of them have already drafted one. Colts, Chargers, Cowboys, Giants, Redskins, and I'm sure I left out some teams who use TE's on a regular basis have not drafted one. Who knows for sure if they are even going after a TE this year.



On ESPN the commentators were speaking with Andy Reid. Steve Young was asking him questions and Reid was giving props to BYU and Young jumped at the chance(since both have BYU ties, obviously). He told Reid to draft Pitta, and Reid agreed with him. Either Reid was just going with the conversation and getting it overwith OR Reid wants Pitta.
B
bostoncoug
Following the Patriots draft is definitely an exercise in patience. I'd wait for their pick, and when it was their time, the announcement that they had traded it away. I like the strategy overall (getting more picks and getting needs met), but man it tested my patience.



I think that for the most part, the Ravens had the draft that I wanted for the patriots. Kindle in the second round, and of course Pitta in the fourth. I don't know much about McCourty, but they will need some help in the backfield if they decide to go with Banta-Cain and Ninkovich as their starting OLB's :sick:
Y
Y 4 Ever
I HATE my 9-ers first 2 picks - two LINEMEN!?!?!



Look, I KNOW that OL is in need of serious improvement on the team - and under normal conditions, I would have applauded these picks.



But I CANNOT condone ANYTHING that helps "protect" the artist formerly known as Alexis Smith.
Advertisement
H
HoosierCougar
I like the Colt's pick of Jerry Hughes (DE-TCU, in case anyone forgot ;) )



This pick will either give them some insurance/depth in the event Freeney looses something in his recovery, or put another quick and strong end on the other side. That could really give some teams headaches in a nickle package when the D already knows they are going to pass. Extra DB + 2 fast ends. Ouch!
C
CannonCougar85
HoosierCougar wrote:
I like the Colt's pick of Jerry Hughes (DE-TCU, in case anyone forgot ;) )



This pick will either give them some insurance/depth in the event Freeney looses something in his recovery, or put another quick and strong end on the other side. That could really give some teams headaches in a nickle package when the D already knows they are going to pass. Extra DB + 2 fast ends. Ouch!


I really like this pick as well. Hughes will add tremendous depth to the Colts who already have 2 of the best DE's in the NFL. Plus Hughes could be a replacement for Robert Mathis if the Colts decide not to pick up his contract at the end of the 2011 season. At the end of his contract Mathis will be 31ish and Hughes will be 24ish. If Hughes becomes the DE player that I think he can then the Colts would be smart to drop Mathis and hang on to the younger and cheaper Hughes.



Not to take away anything from Mathis, I think the guy is a stud and is a dominating DE in the NFL. :)
B
BigCougsFan
bostoncoug wrote:
Following the Patriots draft is definitely an exercise in patience. I'd wait for their pick, and when it was their time, the announcement that they had traded it away. I like the strategy overall (getting more picks and getting needs met), but man it tested my patience.



I think that for the most part, the Ravens had the draft that I wanted for the patriots. Kindle in the second round, and of course Pitta in the fourth. I don't know much about McCourty, but they will need some help in the backfield if they decide to go with Banta-Cain and Ninkovich as their starting OLB's :sick:


We were on top of the world with Brusci and Seau with their awesomeness. It'll take some time to perfect that position again, but I though we lacked in the secondary more than anything in my opinion. About mid way through last season teams began to figure us out and picked us apart, and the good teams accomplished it. I thought our offense has been spotty as well. We need a decent running back AND definitely have to use our new TE's. Passing to Moss or Welker over and over got predictable.



As if our LB's are already iffy... The Pats relseased Adalius Thomas today who went to the pro bowl twice with the Ravens, but produced little with the Pats.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.