Archived Topic

Effects of Unga's departure?

by snoscythe · 4/17/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Well, barring another huge surprise, Harvey is gone as Jay Drew is reporting that Harvey is putting in for the NFL's supplemental draft in June.



So, here are my burning questions for 2010 now:



1) Who will be our starting tailback? I admit Q got the most print in Spring camp, but does Drew Phillips from Alabama have a chance to come in and split time? Will it be by platoon?



2) Does this affect the arms race? Does this make Nelson's edge in leadership and grit (per the coaching staff) a more heavily weighed factor in the decision? Does this give Heaps an opening to assert himself as a leader in the void Harvey will leave?



3) Does this change your expectations for wins next Fall?



So much for a boring summer...



http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/sioncampus/10/13/deans-list/harvey-unga.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
My first silver lining is this: if Harvey enters the supplemental draft, BYU will finally have their first #1 pick in an NFL draft.
S
Schmoe
Of the guys we have at RB right now, I think Kariya and Q have the strength and grit to be every down workhorse backs like Unga. I think that JJ will get significant time, as well, but I don't see him as an every-down pound-it back.
S
SpiffCoug
I think it helps Nelson more than Heaps. His ability to run with the ball certainly becomes more valuable.



It doesn't change my expectations. I still expect an 8-4 type of season.
T
Teton
It was my understanding that Drew Phillips was mostly recruited to play the slot? I would like to see him get a lot of touches though, running or catching.



Also, thinking back to last year, Kariya started when Unga was injured (like at the Oklahoma game). He's physically strong and now experienced in the backfield, I haven't heard any talk of him playing fullback. I think he and Juice will share the backfield this year.
Advertisement
I
Italics
The effects of his departure are that this will not longer be a rebuilding year - with still an opportunity to win most the games and make a good bowl.



Now this will just be a flat-out rebuilding year. I still think we'll win more than 50% of our games, but hopes of winning the conference are pretty much out the window.
Y
Yzzazz
I think it means one more loss than if he were here. Not sure it extends beyond that.
D
Ddawg
snoscythe wrote:
My first silver lining is this: if Harvey enters the supplemental draft, BYU will finally have their first #1 pick in an NFL draft.


There's the silver lining. What a way to do it ...... uggghhh!
L
Lawboy
o
L
Lawboy
HC strikes again. Sounds as if he would be out a year is my guess, unless he ends up married, then might be back sooner. But I expect him to never wear teh Blue again.



Best of luck to Harvey all the same. But I wish he had stayed and run behind that O-line and helped break in a new QB for us.



I think we are in good shape with Quezada. Kariya is solid, bust has ZERO burst or explosiveness. But he is a solid back. JJ is the same, but smaller, better receiver.



Anyone know anything about some of the other backs we have coming in this year from Cali? I know Adam Hine will be back for next year, so I think 2011 we will be great. 2010 just got interesting.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
HC strikes again. Sounds as if he would be out a year is my guess, unless he ends up married, then might be back sooner. But I expect him to never wear teh Blue again.


He's going the NFL...entering June's supplemental draft.
U
UVACoug
snoscythe wrote:
Well, barring another huge surprise, Harvey is gone as Jay Drew is reporting that Harvey is putting in for the NFL's supplemental draft in June.



So, here are my burning questions for 2010 now:



1) Who will be our starting tailback? I admit Q got the most print in Spring camp, but does Drew Phillips from Alabama have a chance to come in and split time? Will it be by platoon?



2) Does this affect the arms race? Does this make Nelson's edge in leadership and grit (per the coaching staff) a more heavily weighed factor in the decision? Does this give Heaps an opening to assert himself as a leader in the void Harvey will leave?



3) Does this change your expectations for wins next Fall?



So much for a boring summer...



http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/sioncampus/10/13/deans-list/harvey-unga.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Jay Drew wasn't reporting, he was speculating. His later speculations left the opportunity for Harvey to come back open:



http://www.sltrib.com/byucougars/ci_14905842
S
snoscythe
UVACoug wrote:
Well, barring another huge surprise, Harvey is gone as Jay Drew is reporting that Harvey is putting in for the NFL's supplemental draft in June.


Jay Drew wasn't reporting, he was speculating. His later speculations left the opportunity for Harvey to come back open:



http://www.sltrib.com/byucougars/ci_14905842


Read Drew's blog more closely. The blog was written AFTER the article. His blog post mentions that he interviewed a bunch of people to file a story to beat a deadline for the next day....the next day is today....the article he was rushing to file for the next day is the article you've just linked to. As much as I hate for it to be true, Harvey is not coming back.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
Does this change your expectations for wins next Fall?

Well, I was feeling pretty positive about the talent we had coming in to replace departed starters, so I had high hopes for possibly an 11-2 year. Harvey Unga was probably the greatest single talent on this year's team, offense or defense, so losing him hurts. But even Harvey isn't completely irreplaceable. DiLuigi, Quezada, Kariya, T'eo, and Phillips should make a deep, competent, capable, EXCITING running backs group!



Still, for me, the outlook goes from sunny to a little more worried. Now 9-4 is more of my mental mindset.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
My first silver lining is this: if Harvey enters the supplemental draft, BYU will finally have their first #1 pick in an NFL draft.

BYU has already had a football player taken #1 in the NFL's supplemental draft.



Bonus points if you can name the player.
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
Mars wrote:
Does this change your expectations for wins next Fall?

Well, I was feeling pretty positive about the talent we had coming in to replace departed starters, so I had high hopes for possibly an 11-2 year. Harvey Unga was probably the greatest single talent on this year's team, offense or defense, so losing him hurts. But even Harvey isn't completely irreplaceable. DiLuigi, Quezada, Kariya, T'eo, and Phillips should make a deep, competent, capable, EXCITING running backs group!



Still, for me, the outlook goes from sunny to a little more worried. Now 9-4 is more of my mental mindset.


I guess I have higher hopes than some others. Since Bronco became head coach... He has been able to reload(not rebuild) very effectively. Yes he probably didn't have any direct effect on recruiting some of these athletes, but has put together some impressive teams with his coaching philosophy.



We've reloaded on:

QB's from John Beck to Max Hall

RB's from Curtis Brown to Harvey Unga

TE's from Harline to Dennis Pitta/Andrew George

WR's, no one specific, but more of a WR corp as a whole

AND there are others that I haven't mentioned.



Last year in our season opener, Harvey was a till game time decision and he ended up not playing. Bryan Kariya found out just before the game... He's the man for the day. He impressed everyone including die hard BYU fans AND especially the OU team as a whole.

NOT only that, four of our five O-line men were replaced and they stopped OU's impressive D and played like veterans.



We'll be totally fine with Unga moving on with his career. We have tons of depth at running back, and I can't wait to shock Washington with our awesomeness!!!
A
AmmonCougar1
BigCougsFan wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Does this change your expectations for wins next Fall?

Well, I was feeling pretty positive about the talent we had coming in to replace departed starters, so I had high hopes for possibly an 11-2 year. Harvey Unga was probably the greatest single talent on this year's team, offense or defense, so losing him hurts. But even Harvey isn't completely irreplaceable. DiLuigi, Quezada, Kariya, T'eo, and Phillips should make a deep, competent, capable, EXCITING running backs group!



Still, for me, the outlook goes from sunny to a little more worried. Now 9-4 is more of my mental mindset.


I guess I have higher hopes than some others. Since Bronco became head coach... He has been able to reload(not rebuild) very effectively. Yes he probably didn't have any direct effect on recruiting some of these athletes, but has put together some impressive teams with his coaching philosophy.



We've reloaded on:

QB's from John Beck to Max Hall

RB's from Curtis Brown to Harvey Unga

TE's from Harline to Dennis Pitta/Andrew George

WR's, no one specific, but more of a WR corp as a whole

AND there are others that I haven't mentioned.



Last year in our season opener, Harvey was a till game time decision and he ended up not playing. Bryan Kariya found out just before the game... He's the man for the day. He impressed everyone including die hard BYU fans AND especially the OU team as a whole.

NOT only that, four of our five O-line men were replaced and they stopped OU's impressive D and played like veterans.



We'll be totally fine with Unga moving on with his career. We have tons of depth at running back, and I can't wait to shock Washington with our awesomeness!!!


I thought they did a decent job replacing a specific wide receiver...Austin Collie ringing a bell? ;)



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
U
urroner
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
I thought they did a decent job replacing a specific wide receiver...Austin Collie ringing a bell? ;)



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


A church's bell ringer passed away. So they posted the position and a man came in with no arms wanting the job. The clergy weren't sure he could do it, but he convinced them to let him try it.



They climbed the bell tower and the guy ran toward the bell and hit it with his head. They gave him the job.



The next day he went to ring the bell, tripped, bounced off the bell and fell to the sidewalk below. Two guys were walking past.



One asked, "Do you know this guy?"



The second guy responded, "No, but his face rings a bell."



The next day, the dead bell ringer's twin brother comes in for the again vacant bell ringer position. He also has no arms. They lead him up to the bell tower, he runs at the bell, trips and falls to the sidewalk below.



The same two guys walk by.



The first asks, "Do you know him?"



The second guy responds, "No, but he's a dead ringer for the guy we saw yesterday."



:crazy: :crazy:
Y
Yzzazz
PA - THetic urroner. Felt sick that I laughed so hard at that redneck joke post.
L
Lawboy
Mars wrote:
My first silver lining is this: if Harvey enters the supplemental draft, BYU will finally have their first #1 pick in an NFL draft.

BYU has already had a football player taken #1 in the NFL's supplemental draft.



Bonus points if you can name the player.


Pretty sure it was Steve Young. Went from USFL to NFL in the supplemental draft. Tamps Bay took him #1 in a year where the supplemental draft was pretty big.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.