Archived Topic

Gone = Gone. Harvey to NFL.

by snoscythe · 4/17/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Jay Drew is reporting that Harvey is now planning on qualifying for the NFL's supplemental draft in June.



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=14452&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1



The supplemental draft is a safety net for players who missed the filing deadline for the first draft or who had eligibility problems in qualifying for the April go around. It's not as exciting, and there is no guaranteed money at any level and teams don't have to draft anyone, but you have to at least qualify for either the April or supplemental draft to be eligible to sign a FA contract.



Looks like Harvey doesn't plan on coming back, contrary to Dick Harmon's speculation.
B
BigCougsFan
On one hand I'm sad to see Unga leave like this. On the other hand, I've been reading during all spring ball that Unga has been emerging as one of the team leaders. One thing a leader does is... Take charge of things. He stepped up to the plate and this is what must happen. It takes a lot of courage to do what he AND her have done.



We've been honored to watch him break some impressive records at BYU with a year to spare.



I wish him and her all the best AND I just hope my NFL team lands him.



GO UNGA

GO COUGARS



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
BigCougsFan wrote:
On one hand I'm sad to see Unga leave like this. On the other hand, I've been reading during all spring ball that Unga has been emerging as one of the team leaders. One thing a leader does is... Take charge of things. He stepped up to the plate and this is what must happen. It takes a lot of courage to do what he AND her have done.



We've been honored to watch him break some impressive records at BYU with a year to spare.



I wish him and her all the best AND I just hope my NFL team lands him.



GO UNGA

GO COUGARS



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ditto. Here - Here!! I have loved watching Harvey Unga play. What a treat. Wherever he goes - to the NFL or (on a slim chance) back to BYU this Fall - I'm still a huge Unga fan! He is a class act. This is a tough ordeal for him.



But - I do hope providence shines on Harvey & he can avoid the Raiders if he enters the NFL!!!!
U
UVACoug
snoscythe wrote:
Jay Drew is reporting that Harvey is now planning on qualifying for the NFL's supplemental draft in June.



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=14452&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1



The supplemental draft is a safety net for players who missed the filing deadline for the first draft or who had eligibility problems in qualifying for the April go around. It's not as exciting, and there is no guaranteed money at any level and teams don't have to draft anyone, but you have to at least qualify for either the April or supplemental draft to be eligible to sign a FA contract.



Looks like Harvey doesn't plan on coming back, contrary to Dick Harmon's speculation.


It appears that Drew's post this morning was just speculation. His article this afternoon made it sound like Harvey returning before fall was very much a possibility. Here's a link:



http://www.sltrib.com/byucougars/ci_14905842



"He could try to get reinstated into BYU, perhaps even in time for the Cougars' opener on Sept. 4 against Washington. "
S
snoscythe
UVACoug wrote:
Jay Drew is reporting that Harvey is now planning on qualifying for the NFL's supplemental draft in June.



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=14452&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1



The supplemental draft is a safety net for players who missed the filing deadline for the first draft or who had eligibility problems in qualifying for the April go around. It's not as exciting, and there is no guaranteed money at any level and teams don't have to draft anyone, but you have to at least qualify for either the April or supplemental draft to be eligible to sign a FA contract.



Looks like Harvey doesn't plan on coming back, contrary to Dick Harmon's speculation.


It appears that Drew's post this morning was just speculation. His article this afternoon made it sound like Harvey returning before fall was very much a possibility. Here's a link:



http://www.sltrib.com/byucougars/ci_14905842



"He could try to get reinstated into BYU, perhaps even in time for the Cougars' opener on Sept. 4 against Washington. "


That's assuming he wrote the article after the blog. Just because the Trib published the article after Jay posted to his blog doesn't mean it was written sooner. In fact, he mentions the article in his blog post, indicating the article was written BEFORE the blog:


Having spent the last couple of hours talking to BYU officials and a former BYU player who wished to remain anonymous and filing a story for the Tribune’s website and then another to beat deadline for the tomorrow’s newspaper, here’s what I know about the Harvey Unga situation:

It appears that Unga will not attempt to get re-instated into BYU because he will try to get into the NFL’s supplemental draft, which occurs in mid-July. It is too late for him to get into next week’s NFL draft.

I was told that by a former BYU player who said he has talked to members of Unga’s family and knew all about the ordeal when I reached him this evening.


Harvey is gone.
Advertisement
U
UVACoug
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Jay Drew is reporting that Harvey is now planning on qualifying for the NFL's supplemental draft in June.



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=14452&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1



The supplemental draft is a safety net for players who missed the filing deadline for the first draft or who had eligibility problems in qualifying for the April go around. It's not as exciting, and there is no guaranteed money at any level and teams don't have to draft anyone, but you have to at least qualify for either the April or supplemental draft to be eligible to sign a FA contract.



Looks like Harvey doesn't plan on coming back, contrary to Dick Harmon's speculation.


It appears that Drew's post this morning was just speculation. His article this afternoon made it sound like Harvey returning before fall was very much a possibility. Here's a link:



http://www.sltrib.com/byucougars/ci_14905842



"He could try to get reinstated into BYU, perhaps even in time for the Cougars' opener on Sept. 4 against Washington. "


That's assuming he wrote the article after the blog. Just because the Trib published the article after Jay posted to his blog doesn't mean it was written sooner. In fact, he mentions the article in his blog post, indicating the article was written BEFORE the blog:


Having spent the last couple of hours talking to BYU officials and a former BYU player who wished to remain anonymous and filing a story for the Tribune’s website and then another to beat deadline for the tomorrow’s newspaper, here’s what I know about the Harvey Unga situation:

It appears that Unga will not attempt to get re-instated into BYU because he will try to get into the NFL’s supplemental draft, which occurs in mid-July. It is too late for him to get into next week’s NFL draft.

I was told that by a former BYU player who said he has talked to members of Unga’s family and knew all about the ordeal when I reached him this evening.


Harvey is gone.


Maybe. I'm going to keep hoping though. There is nothing definitive in anything that Drew has posted.
D
Ddawg
I heard this somewhere: "Keep hope alive!!" I hope Harvey can see to re-instate @ BYU & run the daylights out of his Senior year. I know it's dreaming - wishful thinking. Still .......

8)
U
UVACoug
Looks like I was right. Harvey is going to try to come back.
S
snoscythe
UVACoug wrote:
Looks like I was right. Harvey is going to try to come back.


"Try" being the key word.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.